Wilderness Photography

thurin

Wanderer
Off Topic for the Fiddleback Forum, but since some of us call this place our primary home on BF, I thought it might be interesting to startup a general Wilderness Photography thread. I know you guys have incredible shots as I've seen them on Instagram. That's a cool platform for sharing stuff, but I find it hard to get the full effect of wilderness pics on there.

Please let us know where the pics are from and any interesting details. I'll start with a few.

Dream Lake with Hallett Peak in the background in Rocky Mountain National Park in the summer time:

Trail near Fraser CO in the fall:

Sprague Lake in the winter. Another one from RMNP. I took a friend from India to see snow for the first time in his life.

Last edited:
Hallett with Bear Lake in the foreground.

RMNP2012bearlake.jpg

Homepage pic was taken in RMNP, love it there.

RMNP2012elk7.jpg

More RMNP pics click 2012 here or 2014 here.

Great Smokey Mountain National Park (Icewater Shelter on the AT)
AT2014188-XL.jpg

Grand Canyon
vacation%25202014249-XL.jpg

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
DSC_0411-XL.jpg

Arba Minch, Ethioia
DSC_0080-XL.jpg

Great additions everyone.

Seeing Chief's pic of Bear Lake and Hallett Peak gave me an idea and I hope you'll indulge me. I want to show some views of Hallett Peak from along the trail that starts at the Bear Lake Trail Head at 9,475' and ends at Emerald Lake at 10,090'. It's about a 4 mile round trip hike. Hallett Peak isn't a tall one by Colorado standards topping out at 12,713' but it's one of the most recognizable because of the views of it's face from the RMNP trails.

Looking over Bear Lake towards Hallett Peak. I took this one at the end of the hike after all the other ones and the clouds had started to move in.

Heading up from Bear Lake you first hit Nymph Lake. This is a little tree lined lake with a bunch of lilies floating in it. You can just see Hallett peaking it's head up on the left.

The trail follows a stream that flows between all the lakes. There are some nice little falls along the way and there's some ponds that form. This is right before Dream Lake where things level off for a bit.

Dream Lake is simply beautiful. This is a very popular spot. This time when I went I got up to the Trailhead very early (before sunrise) to beat the crowds and I was able to have the trail and the best picture shots all to myself. On my way back down, there were probably 100 people waiting to take a picture from here.

Emerald Lake is the final destination on this trail. It sits nestled between Hallett Peak on the left in this pic and Flattop Mountain on the right. Yes, the jagged outcroppings are part of Flattop, beyond them it's flat up there. There's one lake further up right at the base of Hallett but it's not accessible from this trail.

If you ever want to check these places out, just give me a shout. Because of the elevations, it's advisable to spend a day or two in Denver acclimating before heading up to RMNP to save on the altitude sickness. I hope you'll forgive if I'm coming off as a Colorado travel agent. :)

Last edited:
Wow. These pictures are amazing. I have got to go and see the western US!

First 3 were taken in the Badlands, SD

DSCF6411%201_zpso2g6a6mm.jpg

Now this is my type of selfie!!

DSCF6451%201_zpsp0wbtvau.jpg

Sun started to set and the colors got real pretty

DSCF6524%201_zpszpzgagxr.jpg

The Prismatic Spring was my favorite thing to shoot in Yellowstone

DSCF6678%201_zps2j5pkoe2.jpg

Then off to Washington to see the Olympic State Park

DSCF6736%201_zpsdbndgma5.jpg

A sunset on the bay in Sequim, WA

DSCF6775%201_zpsqreg7jzw.jpg

Crossing the border from CA to AZ and caught an awesome sunset

DSCF6868%201_zpsmu3qigqp.jpg

Catching the early morning sunlight in the Grand Canyon

DSCF6951%201_zpsh4sbrabo.jpg

To be continued . . .

Nice shots all! Really like the one of Emerald Lake, but am partial to that area. Alberta Falls, one of the trails close to Hallett.

albertafalls2012.jpg

Beautiful shots guys, I love threads like this! I'll see if I can add something later but this one is a bit intimidating....

A few more from the Colorado Tourism Board, aka me.

These are from Colorado National Monument, on the Western Slope near Grand Junction. I had gone out to meet up with the Hill People Gear bros and made a detour through the monument on the way. It was 107 degrees in Grand Junction which can be seen in the distance in the first photo and went I got up through the monument and to our camp site it was 60.

Now that I have a real camera, I need to revisit some of these places. All of the shots I've posted up in this thread so far have are from my iPhone and a point and shoot.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites from Yosemite to the Blueridge over the past few years

IMG_2144_zpsddjnjuic.jpg

IMG_2150_zps1zoqbspg.jpg

DSC01844_zpsvwfdbtij.jpg

DSC01845_zps0546ft5g.jpg

DSC01858_zpsuskswhe8.jpg

DSC01826_zpsw4cx4jgq.jpg

DSC01897_zpsarwgaxzc.jpg

DSC02038_zpsvi9smc16.jpg

DSC02041_zpsl3z07gkw.jpg

DSC01950_zpsndm2k0d9.jpg

DSC01942_zps7ovgxrmd.jpg

DSC02116_zpsxo7xb7a1.jpg

IMG_2178_zpspxow6h2c.jpg

DSC02120_zpspwoomtwj.jpg

IMG_20140615_112137793_zpsylgadpys.jpg

IMG_20140615_112314417_HDR_zps2ynnkgl8.jpg

IMG_20140412_130338001_zpsdeed2999.jpg

IMG_20140927_121534504_zpsjzgcwpuo.jpg

DSC01809_zps8ahututm.jpg
DSC01872_zpshrvfpzfl.jpg

Last edited:
Nathan,
Truly a great thread. Good on ya, as we say in the south.

Everyone else who posted,
Thanks for posting. I am really enjoying these pics and descriptions. Also, like reading your impression on why you like that spot, or a certain aspect of a picture. It's always fun to see the mindset of the person taking the photo.

Great job all!!!

Preston

I don't do a lot of traveing outside the S.E. U.S. anymore, so no good wide-open-spaces shots to share. I'm usually under a canopy of some sort or maybe a small clearing, but here are some of my wilderness shots.

DSC_1412.jpg

DSC_0914.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

DSC_1512.jpg

DSC_2608.jpg

DSC_1588.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_3183c.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_1256.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_1138.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_2562.jpg

B_43.jpg

B_48.jpg

DSC_2074b.jpg

Thurin, dug these out after seeing all of those pics of Hallet and RMNP. They are no where near the quality of the rest of the pics here but thought they might be fitting.

Sunrise from the base of Hallet Peak

About half way up the face of Hallet from a nice soft grassy ledge

Side view of Hallet on the descent

A couple from the hike back out

Back