Will no one hold up for the Military?

shootist16

knife law moderator
EKAAGAN has this to say about the Military in a response to a thread in the reviews section:
Yeah, don't buy one! Why spend that kind of money on a knife with no liners, a giant hole, and exotic steel. Buy a BM AFCK (all serrated) or a Genesis instead. Stick with ATS-34 and common designs, and save some cash.
Also, the CRKT company has some nice knives. For a lighter carry knife with awesome cutting power, the Cold Steel Voyagers are fantastic. If you must buy Spyderco, go for the Endura or Endura II.

Just my opinion(s).

EK

I know that everyone is entitled to there opinions. I also think that CRK&T, EDI, and Cold Steel make some good knives. I guess Im just kind of disappointed that my fellow military men wouldnt hold up for this fine knife. The thread may be found at:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000489.html

[This message has been edited by shootist16 (edited 20 May 1999).]

Wow, I missed that post ! I don't think I'd have let it go by unanswered. Well that gentleman must not have actually handled and used one, how else could one explain that kind of statement? Ok, off to check it out,
thanks, Shootist.

Shootist16,

Oh I saw it alright. And the queries about if he were just kidding. I've noticed as membership here has grown that we have more posts of this kind... designed simply to stir the pot... provocative... inflamatory... whatever.

I declined to acknowledge it with a retort.

-=[Bob]=-

Well, anyone is entitled to his/her own opinion (however wrong he might be!!)
wink.gif

I know taht this kind of post does not even warrant a reply, but I could not resist... I am CRAZY about BOTH my Military Spydies!!

[This message has been edited by Heyns van der Merwe (edited 21 May 1999).]

I saw the post and thought someone made a positive suggestion to EK. Handle and use a knife before commenting negatively. After doing this, hey, everyone is entitled to a (legit) opinion.

BTW, I handled the military, liked it, but did not buy. Why? I am waiting for the RL version. You current Military men will just have to run out and buy another...
wink.gif

sing

not sure how i should comment...i think we all know why & without what information such a statement would be made. i woud like to point out that if $ were my primary concern for purchasing knives (instead of beauty or function or performance) than i would have to agree w/ EKAAGAN. but it is attitudes like this that causeonce-quality orginizations to make shoddy, low priced "performance" knives whose locks defeat if you even sneeze in their general direction! we must instist that we continually educate our peers, our customers, & ourselves about this wonderful love we have for knives. & yes, sing i will have to by the new RL version of my military-DARN! (or as my wife says: ANOTHER knife!?!)

[This message has been edited by precision4 (edited 01 July 1999).]

Trolling is my guess. As to the Military, I will respond here. I, too, wondered at the price until I handled one. Then I bought one. Need I say more?

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

I got a new Military a few days ago that I bought on the strength of the positive comment about it on this forum. Initially, I was not blown away by it. I even posted it for trade! However after carrying it for an hour or so and REALLY looking at the craftmanship on it, I changed my mind. I'm carrying it now for the 3rd day and now I REALLY like it! The flat grind, very light weight and apparent strength of this knife have impressed me after my initial wrong impression. This is also the sharpest knife out of box that I have EVER received. (Maybe my Simonich Cetan will surpass it when I receive it...we will see!) Anyway, a great knife and weel worth the money. I have studied this knife under a magnifying glass and bright light and can find no faults in it.

I have fairly large hands and the handle is very comfortable. The blade opens easily and yet locks securely in both open and closed positions.

I could go on about this knife but I'm only echoing what most have already said about it!

This knife is going to be my campanion piece for the Battle Mistress and Cetan when I hit the wilds.

For production knives, Spyderco has become my knife of choice. it is the first brand I look at when I'm considering a new purchase (just about weekly). Even though I enjoy BM and even CS folders, Spyderco has the 'edge' in over the top designs and workmanship!

Regards,

Chris Canis

------------------
"Tolerance is the vice of those who have no convictions of their own"

Just out of curiosity, I checked ekaagen's profile, and apparently he has been a member since January. So, I don't know why it appears he has now apparently started trolling, but I have noticed similar ... inflammatory <?>... posts in other threads. Curiouser and curiouser...

I don't agree with ekaagan's statement but he certainly has a right to his opinion. I just don't see that one as trolling. I put off buying a Military for years because the first ones were not what they should have been but Spyderco has addressed those problems and made it a real winner. I must say that I have the same opinion of the AFCK that ekaagan has about he Military due to the fact that I bought an early one and it took two attempts at fixing it to get it to do what it should have out of the box. Probably just a lemon.

Main Entry: fo·rum
Pronunciation: 'fOr-&m, 'for-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural forums also fo·ra /-&/
Etymology: Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door -- more at DOOR
Date: 15th century
1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper) of open discussion or expression of ideas
2 : a judicial body or assembly : COURT
3 a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

IMHO the key definition here is 1c.

------------------
Paul
Keep Em Sharp

The term, "forum", goes back to ancient Rome. The center for political, judicial, and social enterprise in the Republic was the Forum Romanum, at the feet of the Palatine and Capitoline Hills. One of the centers for economic enterprise was the Forum Baorium along the Tiber River, the center for the meat business. Technically, a forum was an open space in a town, but, by usage, it came to mean an open place used for trade, politics, etc.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Could be I just read his tone wrong? Wouldn't be the first time. Just seems that every time I read a post it seemed .. well, inflammatory is too strong, but something OOTO... My mistake, maybe. Dunno.

I disagree with him and posted as such. He has a right to his opinion, and so do we.

I asked if EKAAGAN was serious and he said he was. (Check back on the thread).

Sometimes its too tiring to respond on oft-asked questions from newbies, but as I was a newbie myself it is only courteous to share what I know. So what I do is provide a link, or tell a poster to use the search engine.

O_D,
I agree with you about the tone thing. Some of my posts have been quite misunderstood. People were quick to jump on me about it but when I started another thread to try to clarify my position those same people didn't say anything. I don't really care what anyone says here as long is it is not attacking someone personally. I get the feeling that some of the forumites just don't know to much about tact. "Yeah, don't buy one!" is definitely a little tactless. I also don't think he realizes that a AFCK or EDI is not much cheaper than a Military. I certainly doubt I will be taking his advice. I just think that sometimes it is better to let somebody say whatever they want and eventually they will hang themselves with their own rope. (No I'm not implying anything threatening, just using a cliche).

It's too bad that so many of the replies (here)have such a personal and vindictive tone to them. My original reply in the other forum lead to some good questions and answers, but this thread seems more like a personal attack. Hey, I can take the heat, I spent a lot of time in worse places than this(Infantry) and I know knives. Well, maybe I don't have a PhD in metallurgy, but as one impartial member put it, it was my own opinion. I don't remember taking any tests to be a member here.

As for tact, you can read a lot of anything into a little nothing. Gimme a break! I didn't know that manners are so highly regarded in these forums. In the future I'll be more "tactful" (read careful) in my responses, but we're all big boys here...right?

As for the negative remarks about a particular knife, is there a rule about making only positive comments about knives here? If I want hype, I'll buy a magazine, but I thought I could find open expression and some critical analysis. I don't remember anyone being flammed so for all the bad things said about the KISS folder.

Yeah, I have a right to my opinion, and this IS the place for it. I guess I underestimated the "emotional attachment" some people have with their tools. I welcome all opinions/tastes/preferences, even if I don't agree with them myself.

EK

P.S. Paul, Thank you for sticking up for me. I will tell you, though, that the AFCK now sells for around $80 on the Net, and if EDI is too expensive, you can pick up the new Genesis II for about $20 cheaperthan model I with the same great features as it's older brother. Now...why would EDI make a less expensive Genesis????

[This message has been edited by ekaagan (edited 22 May 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ekaagan (edited 22 May 1999).]

ekaagan,

Please understand that a lot of us are here because we left other venues in which the tone tended to be hostile. We may therefore be a little oversensitive that BladeForums not go in that direction. We value honest opinions, and they do not have to agree with our preconceptions.

That being said, please also realize that this forum has, as do others, a distinct personality. Sometimes postings that are viewed as outside this personality can be viewed as unnecessarily provocative. Another thread made a similar point: to say a particular knife "sucks," for instance, doesn't help us, and will probably be viewed a "trolling" for controversy. To say a particular knife handle is too large, or that the G10 scales cut into a person's fingers will be viewed positively, as it's a fact, not simply a person's conclusion.

There are names of BF contributors that I will open immediately, and there are names that I will not bother to open at all. Both lists continue to grow, but the latter list seems to be growing a little faster lately than it has in the past.

Your questions are valid; I particularly liked your questioning the need for an Axis lock on the new BM 705 (wkrafft's thread in the General Forum, I think), but I disagreed with it, politely, I thought. I then took my lumps.

I'll now take my lumps for this long-winded post.

[This message has been edited by Walker (edited 23 May 1999).]

Walker,

Well said
smile.gif
! Matter of fact, a darned sight better than the lame efforts I've made elsewhere. Thanks!

-=[Bob]=-

No lumps here Walker. You summed it up eloquently. I think a lot of forumites are doing everything to keep this from becoming flame central.

it was my post that i got a "yeah..don't buy one" reply.....well i think i used common sence and read all the reviews and posts i could about the military....bottom line..i bought one
smile.gif
alot of people in the forum have alot of knowledge with knives...i VALUE all opinions....but experiance wins out over opinions everytime
smile.gif
bye the way...it's by far my favorite knife now....thanks guys
smile.gif

------------------
chaz

Back