Will steel ultimately rule the land?

I know there are a number of metals being introduced into the knife world every year. But one thing hasn't really changed, steel in its various forms is still around.

It rules the blade land, so to speak. You may have talonite, stellite, D2, BG-10, ATS-34, CPM440V, etc. They are all good in varying degrees but to the common man, steel is still steel.

The other metals are probably too costly or involve complicated processes which may not be within the reach of the ordinary bladesmith.

You may argue that this particular metal need not be sharpened after 1,000 cuts but what's that to a guy who has a nice sharpening stone next to him. He will probably prefer to sharpen it from time to time. It just gives him sometime to do.

So are we all agreed, gentlemen. Let there be steel. It has been a part of civilisation for several millennia, I guess it will be around for the next thousand years.

Excelent question. My opinion is that steel will ALWAYS be with us. I do think that the constant advances in composites will lead to some material usefull in blades within 25 years. It would be costly to begin with though, hopefully it would get cheaper.

May be being a bit picky here but Talonite and Stellite are not steels. They are Cobalt Alloys.

As far as I am concerned steel has done a great job for a long time and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Besides, I just love how it looks.

Back