William F. “Freddie” Frey Jr., 77 years young Leathersmith

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks, just back from the Lewisburg PA knife show, one of the yearly treks for me and a friend of mine, a ritual almost it seems. One of the highlights every year is talking with a really nice Leathersmith named Fred, I don't believe he was much of a computer guy, so most of you would not have ever heard of him I'm sure, he traveled around to craft shows, knife shows and gun shows too. And he was a fixture there at the Lewisburg show, taking up a few tables against the back wall, sitting on a high chair so as to be able to greet folks eye to eye as they came and ogled his wares. He was a great leathersmith but I found out this year that he passed away, heart attack on August 9th last year. He will be missed, the people at the show that told me expressed their heart felt feelings of his death. He was a very happy person, always a smile and a good word to say. He made knives too, pretty nice ones, they were using type, not for show but hard working like he was. It was not the same show without him there, he'd ask me 'what sheath you wearing today?' and he'd look it over and admire it and always was complimentary to me, so we had a rapport kind of thing going.

Obituary seen here

Those that may frequent any PA type shows might remember him but might not know that he has moved on.

Old leathersmiths never dye, they just leave a lasting impression....

G2

Always sorry to hear of the passing of an artist or craftsman. Rest in Peace.

Thanks Dwayne, sad to hear they've moved on and they will be missed, just makes me want to appreciate those friends that are around now all the more.

G2

Very well said, and well appreciated. I agree wholeheartedly.

and I cant help but think I've heard his name before, not sure where, but it is very familiar.

Back