Wilson Tactical/Darrel Ralph folder

DDR, I am very excited about this project. I just noticed this thread has over 7,000 views! :eek: :eek: :eek: So it would appear that I'm not the only one. How many knives were made in the first production run? I am curious because they very well may sell out quickly.

The long wait has been worth it.
We sent the knife to outside testing for destruction.
We changed several small items.
Ryan and I are building away.
Our first run is 200 knives approx.
These models (tactical elite ti frames) and the TAS auto are our first mid tech style knives. We had much to learn. So we took the slow route to get the knives to our tight specs.
I am finishing upo the first carbon fiber frames right now.
Ryan is working on the CQB, and the plain frames. We have both worked on the blades to get the first run done.
Ryan has tested the locks that I have done at my shop, I will be testing his locks this week to make sure we are both making the same quality lock and blade finish. We are cuting every lock by hand to our specs.
So delivery will start this week late.
Every frame, lock, and blade finish are all done by hand and tested before delivered. We want nothing but the highest quality to leave our shops.

Darrel

Originally posted by shootist16
I just wanted to confirm that the production models will be tapped for tip up or down carry.

Also can someone that has a proto show a pic of the lockup?

Attachments

• ralphwilsonlockclip.jpg
    ralphwilsonlockclip.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 201
Okay so what is this knife? A custom or a production. Sounds like there is too much handwork to be considered a production. Where can they be ordered?

Nice article in TK about the knife, but one confusing point; they stated the blades would be of 440C and not D2.

Darrel, what is the final word? Thanks, looking forward to the knife!

Don't get me wrong. I think 440C is under rated. It is a decent steel that is servicable. However, from a strictly marketing viewpoint 440C probably wouldn't sell as well as other steels.

Hi
It is a mid tech knife. Ryan and I finish all the parts coating etc..
We also finish the blades. This is not just a snap together knife.
I am finishing the carbon fiber anodized frames and all the g10 and carbon fiber inlays.
The locks are all hand cut and tested at Wilson. The coating is done at Wilson on and on..

We did some testing on the d2 against the 440c
We were getting requests for corrosion resistant steel.
So to keep the price point the same as we started with, we had a few choices for steels.
We tested the 440c against the d2. We found that the 440c gave us the extra corrosion properties that we needed and kept our price point the same.

We are naming the 440c we are using 440c-OS .. Our Specs. We did a 10 blade sample run with various heat treats.
We tested the 440c and found what we feel is the best of both worlds. The 440c Our Specs will perform parallel to the d2 in cutting and bend tests.
We are cryo treating and using what we feel is the best heat treat range to do just this.

We are offering blade upgrades with talonite, Damascus and other steels for those who want to get on the upgrade list.
The blade upgrades will be available like the customizing upgrades.
We offer file work, nugget work, different blades, special inlays....
etc.
The nice thing about the upgrades is that you buy the knife get on the list for upgrades. We call when your turn comes up ... then you send the knife,we upgrade it to your specs. With the upgrade the knife is made like NEW again.

Deliver starts this week!

Regards
Darrel Ralph

OK, Darryl, lets see what you guys do with a classic steel like 440C. See how it stacks against the "latest and greatest".

Just heard from Neil yesterday (Friday). Said mine was ready to ship out on Monday. I ordered the one with the G-10 inserts. Looking forward to this bad boy a'coming........especially after the writeup in TK this month.

Anyone else heard anything?

I received mine last week. It is at the same time bigger, thinner, and lighter than I expected. The handle has a very flat, angular look, but feels just fine in the hand. The fit and finish of the inlays are perfect, Darrel's heat coloring/anodized finish is awesome. Even with the pivot tightened to zero blade play, the blade glides open and closed with an almost power assisted smoothness. The blade shape is a unique extreme drop point. Details like the thumb studs, pocket clip, screws and standoffs are efficiently accomplished.

I love it. It is beautiful, and begs to be used hard.

Judgement is yet to come on this 440C-"OS" blade steel. I have some 440C blades that are excellent in terms of performance. We'll see if "OS" measures up, or if I will be glad that I have a slot coming up for a custom S30V blade.

Now that is what I wanted to hear. It sounds like a great carry piece. I suppose you got the cf/anodized model. From the pics I've seen the cf insers look to be flush with the handle while the G-10 looks like it is sticking up from the handle. Was this on the prototypes or is this the way it is. Btw Steve what would you estimate the weight to be?

GOT IT...Beautiful craftsmanship!!!What Steve said...very smooth, no blade play, flat but comfortable and secure in hand, no blade play, smooth opening/closing, no blade play, solid lock up, raised G10 inserts...SWEEEEEET!!!!!

Got mine today. I ordered the basic version. I was surprised to see a coated blade. I thought the basic version was going to be beadblasted.

Does anyone know what upgrade options are available and maybe the cost for each option?

The knife locks up like a bank vault, no play at all, and smoooooth. I also like the ergonomics. Very nice. I am interested in a blade upgrade though.

Originally posted by shootist16
Got mine today. I ordered the basic version. I was surprised to see a coated blade. I thought the basic version was going to be beadblasted.

I was also surprised by the coated blade. Are all the blades going to be coated as SOP?

samhell
Using 440c pretty much kills the reason why I ordered a coated blade.

Good point, though I didn't feel that it was nessesary with a D2 blade either.

Darryl Ralph
We did some testing on the d2 against the 440c.
We were getting requests for corrosion resistant steel. So to keep the price point the same as we started with, we had a few choices for steels.
We tested the 440c against the d2. We found that the 440c gave us the extra corrosion properties that we needed and kept our price point the same.

So I guess my question is, Why coat the blades if the main reason for the switch in steel was to increase corrosion resistance? Were you having trouble with corrosion even on the coated D2 blades that made the steel unacceptable?

Back