Win $100 and bragging rights

I keep hearing that something is impossible to do with Talonite®. I also keep hearing that guys are doing the impossible.

If you do something new with Talonite® we will send you $100 cash. No obligations. You don't have to tell us how you did it. Maybe the first one was Simonich and the way he figured out how to use it. Paul Reynolds is working on polishing it. Mike Turber made a serrated edge knife.

Our contests to give away Talonite® knives are working well. We would like to do something with "impossible knives". If you figure out how to do something people said couldn't be done, we would like to buy a knife from you and give it away.

We have some small (maybe 1" x 2") pieces of Talonite® we will send out as no-charge samples. You don’t have to pay for them but we really would appreciate it if you would make sure in advance that you are really going to use them before you ask for them.

Tom

I have sent you a couple of emails about my various uses of talonite.
The first thing my cardiologist friend asked me when I told him how much is cost was: "Cant you catch all that dust and melt it down into more?"
smile.gif
Well?
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14

I'd like to see some enterprising knifemaker make either a folding or straight razor with a Talonite blade. Any one game enough to try making the ultimate shaving tool?

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, this is going to show my ignorance about Talonite. But, can you forge it Tom? I love a challenge. I'd love to have a look at a sample of this wonder metal that has everybody talking. Challenge me and lets see what happens.

Tom,
When I took the order for this knife, I thought in might be impossible
eek.gif
Drilling all the holes in the Talonite wasn't bad but I HAVE screwed up the grind on a D2 version. All I could think about was what it would cost for another piece of material!!!!
View

How about a miniture version of this knife?? Say 2" long?? Just kidding....don't even want to go there
wink.gif

Neil
PS Please say HI to Wendy for me!!!

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

Ok, here is a challenge, how about threading a 4-40 hole with an H-2 tread limit. That is a tough one!

Talonite has been forged in the past, I believe by Schwartzer and Carson.

How about Talonite Damascus? Someone mentioned this earlier.

Glad all you guys are liking Wendy, she is much nicer to talk to than I am!

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Dr. Lathe,

You're a classy guy. Thanks for the comment about Wendy. I just went and gave her a raise.

Dear Mr. Mayo,

1. Please remember that, of the two toms, you are the one who is both bright and good-looking. I got a little confused by your emails. IF you will be so good as to do a post here telling what you did I will be happy to send you a check.

2. Tell the cardiologist he is absolutely right. However it is like saving all the extra heart parts until you can make a good one. (A cardiologist complaining about money is like a Hawaiian complaining about the weather.)

Dear ansoknive,
In this group I'm not going to bet that anything is impossible. Rob and I and later Will Fennell and Camillus all agreed that we would sell Talonite and Talonite knives as honestly and accurately as we could. Then a lot of rumors came up, some of which were just not true and some were just ridiculous. We really like to use facts. Tom Mayo has gone in several times and told people that they were wrong because he could to do something they said was impossible. Then he proved it. Of course tom is larger than life. Of course "Larger than life" pretty well describes a lot of knife makers.

Dear MaxTheKnife,

This is all about doing new things. I guess no one knows because no one has tried because it wouldn't work. Sound familiar? Somewhere I have or had a book on blacksmithing called: Get It Hot and Hit It. Always sounded like good advice. I'll send you a couple pieces.

As far as what is impossible:
How about this?
Do something really cool with it and we will do the same thing.

Tom

OK (the cardiologist buddy is Chinese!
smile.gif
)
I use the bigger scraps for a lot of things, one being lathe bits. Since it is very wear resistant it works great for a lot of materials, with the added PLUS that you cant get it too hot, no worry about detempering your cutter...and its pretty easy to sharpen.....at least for me, but I have a number of specialty tools for this. The thing I use it for the most is precision bushing thickness. I put exacting holes in certain thickness pieces, some are flat bottomed and some are thru holes to grind my spacers, pivots and other small round parts to very close tolerance heights for my folders on my disc sander. This could be done on the lathe or my new surface grinder but the disc sander method is WAY faster. I am at present making a small chisel out of a long scrap that will be used to scrape off excess solder from fixed blade guards....since it doesnt rust it wont be bothered by the flux like my other chisels. As most of you know I make a lot of my folder blades out of talonite, and over a year ago I made one 50/50 serrated with a diamond file....ground the blade thin first. Now ken onion has a diamond wheel exactly like the one spyderco uses so that would be the way I would go if i ever did that again. I have a Loveless style drop point out of Stellite 6k (very similar to Talonite which is Stellite 6bh) that I made over 16 years ago with a mirror polish on it...hanging on the wall......it took a VERY long time to do, and was one of the first 6k blades I ever made, since I was mirror polishing everything I did back then it was only natural to try it....TOOK forever to get all the scratches out....down to a VERY dull 800 grit belt.....and then VERY light buff with white rouge.....looks very shiney but it smears with the buffer pretty easy and will never compare to a proper mirror finish on a 440c knife by Steve Johnson (!!!!)
Got to get back to work....if I think of anything else I will put it here after dinner but lunch time is over. Im sure Rob has a few uses that would surprise us. BTW- the thing I HATE about it the most is the BARK!!!!!!!! #@%&*##!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

tongue.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 01-18-2001).]

Tom,
Do you and Ken live on the same island?? Or do you have to paddle over to his island to visit him??
wink.gif
LOL
O GOSH I just KILL myself !!!! LOL ROFLMAO
eek.gif

Neil
Sorry everyone
smile.gif

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

Neil,

What were you thinking when you drilled all those holes in that knife?? The last guy that wasted so much Talonite by his incessant drilling is now banished to a remote tropical island....

On second thought, maybe that's not such a bad plan...

Michael

------------------
He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

But who's that young guy on the wave!!??? And why aren't there any holes drilled in that surf board?^

I thought of another great use for the scraps but will have to weld a few small rectangles together.....blade guides for my bandsaw. The VERY BEST resaw bandsaws have carbide guides for long wear...but talonite would be better as its not brittle like carbide....Will let you know how it goes. After using stellite for over 17 years I have only run into a few people who have ever heard of it.....one group are guys who work on nuc subs (we have a nuke sub base in Pearl Harbor) as it is used to face all the steam valve seats etc.....and the other group are welders....it is used to hard face stuff where the surface sees a lot of wear.
Interesting that it was invented back in the '20s and is still considered a super alloy to this day!! Kinda like my trusty 1911!!
smile.gif

tongue.gif

------------------

O.K. guys, remember I am sometimes a little slow.

1. Who is putting in a claim for $100 besides Tom May (Would it work if I told you that you got the $100 but you had to pay shipping and handling so I could come to Hawaii and deliver it? - Nah, didn't think so.)?

2. What you did with the S-------® metal doesn't count.

They are two different alloys like there are two different steels or two different versions of the same knife by two different makers.

3. Hate to mention this legal stuff but Talonite® is not S------®. Both are Haynes metals, both are Superalloys and both are registered trademarks. I once said that Talonite® was superior to S------® and I got a polite but firm letter from Paul I.J. Fleischut of the law firm Senninger, Powers, Leavitt & Roedel in St. Louis telling me not to take the S------® name in vain. Since a little bit of lawyering takes a big bite out of the beer money I have tried to behave. Also Talonite ® is a registered trade name and we ask you to remember that, please?

Thanks,
tom

My deepest apologies......I sorta thought s------- was s-------......but I guess not. No offense. I thought of another use....put it in your coffee so your wife can find your peter at nite!!! LOL
smile.gif

tongue.gif

DO NOT DO THIS>>>>>>> Cobalt is one of the most carcenogenic (did I spell that right) materials on this planet!!
frown.gif

Post Script: I dont want any money....just more 6BH (you know s------- 6BH!!)
smile.gif

tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 01-19-2001).]

I dont know if its already being done but I have been thinking Talonite would make a great filet knife for fishing buffs.
Not fishing for any $$:) here but what do you guys think? Nice, easlily sharpened, corrosion proof fishing knife? If anyone is doing this I would like to know how they are working.. I have been wanting to make myself a knife like this for a while, and Talonite seems like a natural for this role..

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/

Back