Win a 450.00 frame lock EDC folder

Any comments on what you want to see in a clip? The best comment or drawing used on the
knife will win a prototype EDC with the pit bull,dominator,or fighter blade of your choice valued at $450.00. The EDC knives are a titanium frame lock knife with cpm 420 v blades.
My new EDC (every day carry) line of folders needs a good clip. HELP!!!!
BEST idea will be decided by vote on the forum from the best ten ideas.

I appreciate the comments on clips from good folks on the forums.

Ends april 30th

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

I'd like to see a very thin spring steel wire clip, made from material about the size(guage) of a bicycle spoke. This would be very light, not too obtrusive when using knife and look very nice too.
Of course, fel free to use Ti or ?, but I think stainless would work better and could be colored (?)
My .02

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Knifeknut(means I collect all other pointy sharp things along with the above)(just ask my wife)

[This message has been edited by Brian Lavin (edited 04-12-2000).]

You know my ideas already Darrel
wink.gif
wink.gif

Mark

I would like it to have some texture for gripping, I saw some putting no-slip tape on them so why not checkering with a file. It would be stay forever.

A novel idea I would like to see someone try is a clip with a spring on it sort of like a tie tack. One would push on the top part of the clip to easily release the knife or tuck it into the pocket or waistband. The clip could also have teeth so as to prevent accidental discharge from the pocket.

It seems that many clips can be more streamlined and generally smaller in size - more discreet. I have found that on smaller clips, using only one screw to hold it down is insufficient - at least two screws asre needed to prevent the clip from pivoting.

A bead blast surface is also a practical feature as it provides texture for gripping the pants and also for your fingers. The bead blast texture is a nice compromise since it does not rip your pants apart, scratch furniture too badly, etc. Anodized and polished clips look nice, but they are bit too smooth for practical purposes.

Placement is up to the maker/user. I generally prefer tip up carry, but i like tip down too. If the clip is placed in the tip down position, directly next to, or above the pivot pin is a nice place. It rides high for discreet carry and tends to blend in better with the contour of the knife.

Basically, the standard Spyderco/Benchmade clips and the old Microtech clips are bulky, unnecessarily large and their shapes lack any vision of a flowing line. To place clips like these on custom knives such as Darrell's creates an unwanted contrast in aesthetics.

I propose the idea of adding some curve to the clip so that it may compliment the curve of the handle. It may be difficult to create a line that compliments a variety of handle curves, but it might be possible. If not, 2 or 3 different clip designs may work depending on the model. I know this is a pain, it's just an idea.

Also, an engraved pattern or logo may make the clip more visually pleasing and may enhance grip for withdrawal. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Ronald Reagan (edited 04-15-2000).]

A clip should be as unobtrusive as possible. Most important, I think, is to make sure the clip is mounted as close to the end of the knife as possible to insure as low a "ride" as possible. Along with that, make sure the profile of the clip is as low as possible so as not to snag on things as you walk by. I think at least three screws are necessary to secure it, and it should be made of as strong a hardened steel as possible. The size of the clip itself should be small and thin, possibly with cutouts.

The best clip I have ever seen is on the Outdoor Edge Impulse . I just don't see how
you can top something that is so close to
perfection . Do a variation of it , after all , you did it in the first place .

Okay Darrel ....
BEST idea will be decided by vote on the forum from the best ten ideas....Ends april 30th

Well, who's and what are they? Who decides what the best ten ideas are anway?
biggrin.gif

Mark
wink.gif

------------------
" Knife Collectors Are Sharp People - Most of the time that is! "

hanks you all for the great ideas. I am looking and reading each and every post .

I will post the ideas that I feel will best work on the EDC line of knives .

The EDC is designed for a very low profile carry so that is my may thought here.
I want to thank each and every one of you for your help with this decission.

Please give me a few days to choose the ten
and allow you folks to vote on them.

If your ideas are not chossen please dont have bad feelings . Every post has merit.

I will say that I may choose the idea and not use it in full . Some posts have more appeal in one area and less in the other areas.

Thanks you all once again.

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

The two best clip designs so far are on the EDI deep pocket clip and the Outdoor Edge Impulse recessed clip (IMO). The one thing I wish someone would do is coat the metal clips with a composite or polymer with rounded edges. It would save on the scratches when you rub agains a car or a very expensive teak chair.
frown.gif
good luck on the project.

------------------
Ray Carr

Back