Winter Shaving

I have noticed that a lot of the people that post here are fairly new to traditional wet shaving with DE and SE razors. One of the big benefits of this is a good close shave with little to no irritation, most of the time. Well I had a great shave yesterday, super smooth, no irritation, nicks or weepers. My face felt great, but then I stepped out side and within 15 minutes it felt like my face was on fire. Yesterday was the first day I could truly say it was cold out, and up until yesterday I had shaved exclusively in the evening.

I blame this sudden irritation on the cold weather, but is there a way around it without giving up on the close shave? Maybe a different aftershave balm or something else to do in the way of a recommended moisturizer for the colder months? Is it possible that its not the aftershave but the soap I am using?

Yesterday was only -6C (21F) with a windchill of -15C (5F) so its going to get a lot colder out there in the next couple of months. I am not looking forward to the -35C (-31F) days with the -45C (-49F) windchill. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
George

Well, here in Scandinavia it's a similar story with temps. Plus it's dark nearly all day until end of January....

The cold can really lash the face and dry it badly, particularly after a good shave. I steer clear of aftershaves due to the drying effect and stinging. I use one of the now numerous metrosexual moisturizes and it keeps the skin elastic and not dry. No more dry scratchy patches and face looking like it's had a blowlamp run over it. Some may sneer at moisturizers, I couldn't care less, after all, not so long ago 'real men' hated deodorants.....want to go back to those days? I don't!

I have been using The Gentleman's Refinery Aftershave balm because of its soothing effect on my sensitive skin, I just ordered some Musgo Real After Shave Balm because it was recomended to me over on B&B because of its moisturizing and the bit of bees wax it has to help protect against the elements.

I've heard many approving remarks about Musgo Real products. time to try them . I also use L'Occitaine's after shave balm which is a moisturizer too, works well and I like the juniper smell.

I like the sent of L'Occitaine's soap, but I haven't tried the balm yet. I will let you know how the Musgo smell in comparison to the soap when I get it it at the end of the week. Until then I am just going with a socially acceptable shave, or stay indoors for at least 6 hours after shaving. Luckily I have that choice right now:thumbup:

I may run over to the L'Occitaine store next weekend and check out their balm too.

Ok I just went to the L'Ocitaine web site and they offer 3 different aftershave balms
Eau des Baux After Shave Balm
Cade After Shave Balm
L'Occitan After Shave Balm

Which one are you using? they all seam to have the same general make up, but I think the scents are a little different.

Last edited:
[youtube]IzowSs9mNOM[/youtube]

Do you know what a balm is?

Nobody can tell what a balm is gonna do. They're unpredictable.

Well I have been using The Gentleman's Refinery Aftershave balm since I started DE shaving and love it.

Shaving oil.

Lots of guys like the ritual and smells of the shave. It's all bluster, IMO. If you seek a good shave from any kind of safety razor, disposable, cartridge, single edge, double edge, all that's really needed is some shaving oil. No soaps, no cremes, no canned products, no aftershaves, no foul perfumed junk.

The procedure goes like this: Wet your whiskers. Rub a few drops of oil on your face wherever you intend to shave. Then shave. That's it. A small splash of water is all that's needed while shaving to help the oil lubricate the skin. When you're done shaving, you rinse off the razor, and you go on about your business. Your skin needs no other treatment.

You can buy commercial shaving oil such as Shave Secret. Or you can use just about any vegetable oil. Just five or six drop needed for a shave, your whiskers get cut, your skin moisturized in the process. If you gotta use the steamed towels, and just the right badger brush, imported cream and soap, aftershave balm and/or astringent, etc, then indulge as you wish. But if you just want a good shave, oil is all you need.

You have to understand that problem I am having isn't with my shave soap it is the dry cold weather we get up here in Winnipeg.

I have oily skin. If I was to use a shaving oil... well... I hate to think what would happen. I understand and believe that a lot of guys have great results with and swear by shaving oil products. But they're not for everyone... at least not for me.

On the other hand, my necessary aftershave is a generous splash of 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Some guys would faint at the thought of that.

Shaving is as personal as a man's skin.

Very well said:thumbup: I find that traditional wet shaving is a very personal thing. I would put it in direct relationship with a woman's long bath.

There is no way I was getting as close a shave with a multi bladed razor and if I tried to shave more then twice a week my face would break out. Now with any of my DE safety razors I can get a BBS shave everyday with no irritation, other then this cold weather thing.

I have oily skin. If I was to use a shaving oil... well... I hate to think what would happen. I understand and believe that a lot of guys have great results with and swear by shaving oil products. But they're not for everyone... at least not for me.

On the other hand, my necessary aftershave is a generous splash of 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Some guys would faint at the thought of that.

Shaving is as personal as a man's skin.

Interestingly, the vegetable oils used for skin don't usually contribute to oily skin as much as you might think. One, very little oil is used to shave. Two, most of it is scraped off with the whiskers, leaving just soft skin behind. Three, some men and women swear by oil as a cleansing method, even for oily skin. I think one rationale is that aggressive cleansing encourages oil production, making oily skin and acne worse. An example of a commercially available product that works this way is Noxzema cold cream (which works great, btw, as a non lathering shaving cream), comprised mostly of water emulsified with fats and vegetable oils. Often used for gently cleansing skin, among other things, despite having no soap-like qualities. I'd recommend this for shaving for the OP, but it's better suited for warmer weather with it's cooling effect.

In any event, my personal experience with shaving oil is that perhaps surprisingly, oily skin is not a result.

BTW, I've used rubbing alcohol as aftershave for years, and still do if necessary (I still occasionally lather up for a shave). Really does the job, with no perfumes. Another good, and milder, less drying aftershave is old fashioned Witch Hazel. The smell is funky, but thankfully only lasts a short time and doesn't linger at all.

WooHoo my Fendrihan order came in about 5 minutes ago and I had to try out the brush even though I already shaved. Wow does that sucker ever soak up a lot of water, and it either picks up soap like crazy or it makes lather like crazy, one of the two. I gave it 3 quick passes over my L'Occtaine soap and within seconds I had a cup full of lather.

The Musgo ASB smells nothing like the Gentleman's Refinery ASB, or the L'Occtaine soap, but still nice. For some reason it reminds me of Stetson cologne, even though I haven't worn that since high school, so I don't believe that is what it really smells like. It moisturizes well, but I can feel the beeswax on my face. Its barely noticeable unless I run my hands over my face, but there all the same. Its not real cold out here today so I don't know how well it will work for me in that respect. Over all I like it and think it will be a welcome addition to my bag of shaving tricks.

I also got my first whiff of a bay rum soap, Col. Icabob Conk, I haven't put water or brush to it yet, but I like the sent. tomorrow morning will be the real test, well maybe tonight if I am up late and feel the need to shave before going to bed.

In the length of time it took me to write this, I can feel a definite improvement on my face from the balm, places that were a little irritated from this mornings attempt at a BBS shave and the wind in my face while out for my walk is gone. The sent does stick around unlike the Gentleman's Refinery balm.

Well when I left the house this morning it was -18C with a windchill that was probably around -25C, I had no irritation issues what so ever:thumbup: Not sure if it was the soap or the Musgo Balm but something work wonders. Tomorrow I will try one of my other soaps and see how that works for me.

Unscented Curel lotion before you go to bed---daily---the whole face--not just shaved areas. Work it in--a little goes a long way---you can feel your skin soaking it up---no girlie smell and not greasy.

The older I get---the more dried out my skin gets in the winter.

My problem isn't so much with dry skin, it is more a case of super sensitivity to the cold after a close shave. If I wait a few hours after shaving and go out in the cold I have no problem at all. I gave my face and the Musgo balm a real test today, a 10k walk into the blowing snow. My face is cold but not burning, so the little bit of beeswax in it is doing what I want.

If I have a dryness problem when it gets really cold up here I will keep your suggestion in mind though

Shaving oil.

Lots of guys like the ritual and smells of the shave. It's all bluster, IMO. If you seek a good shave from any kind of safety razor, disposable, cartridge, single edge, double edge, all that's really needed is some shaving oil. No soaps, no cremes, no canned products, no aftershaves, no foul perfumed junk.

The procedure goes like this: Wet your whiskers. Rub a few drops of oil on your face wherever you intend to shave. Then shave. That's it. A small splash of water is all that's needed while shaving to help the oil lubricate the skin. When you're done shaving, you rinse off the razor, and you go on about your business. Your skin needs no other treatment.

You can buy commercial shaving oil such as Shave Secret. Or you can use just about any vegetable oil. Just five or six drop needed for a shave, your whiskers get cut, your skin moisturized in the process. If you gotta use the steamed towels, and just the right badger brush, imported cream and soap, aftershave balm and/or astringent, etc, then indulge as you wish. But if you just want a good shave, oil is all you need.

I tried this and it felt like I was essentially dry shaving . Quickly applied the soap and recieved a better shave . DM

Back