Winter Sleeping Pad

Hi, I'm currently buying new backpacking gear for a 45 mile 6-day hike down to 20°F/-6.6°C. I want to buy a better winter sleeping pad and sleeping bag, so I can get by with a cheaper tent.

I did some price research under $100, but I don't have any experience with these sleeping pads to know about their advantages/disadvantages, such as noise and durability. I'm 6'1" and looking at regular or long versions.
Klymit Static V Insulated (R4.4|1.6lb) - $70
Exped Downmat 5 Lite (R4.1|1.4lb) - $90
Exped Synmat 7 Wide (R4.9|2.6lb) - $110
Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core (R5|1.7lb) - $112

less packable (self-inflating foam core):
Big Agnes Hinman (R5.5|2.6lb) - $65
Big Agnes Two Track (R5.5|2lb) - $80
Therm-a-Rest Hiker (R4.8|2.25lb) - $50
Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp (R5|2.6lb) - $70-90
Therm-a-Rest Trail Lite Womens L-72x20in (R4.9|1.9lb) - $75

Last edited:
Check out the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm. The pad is expensive, if you shopped it around you could probably pick one up for $150. I know that seems pretty pricey for a ground pad but It weighs under one pound, packs to under two liters and is incredibly warm. I used that pad between 9-12K feet for an extended time period in conjunction with a 20 degree down quilt and regularly took it well below the 20 degree mark. A few times as low as -10. When paired with some good layers it worked awesome. Sleeping bags are great and there are some awesome companies out there but after six months using a down quilt in the mountains I was a complete convert based on all the configurations and versatility that you get with one item. Hope this helps-

What's your normal use? if its going to get used a lot, then go for a really good one. If its going to lay around and get used as a spare bed at home then get a foam core. foam tends to get you more durability, and at the very least, if you do get a puncture, you still retain more of the R that you do an inflatable. But there is a huge weight disadvantage with foam.

I would try to lay on them in store, since you are a big guy, you might need to consider shoulder width as well, some can sleep on a narrow mat (me) but some cannot, and that will make a big difference to your choice. The outdoorgearlab article has some really good info on selecting a mat to suit your needs. Its not a case of one is best.

Thanks, I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm. It looks like the best all around, but it is expensive. I think my choice will between that or the Insulated Static V for $70 because they both pack really small. It looks like the insulated static v lite didn't score well on the outdoorgearlab's durability test because it was made with 30 denier polyester (5oz lighter), but the original is made of 75 denier, so it would have been an 8 on durability and 3 on weight (25oz). I'm tall, but only 165lbs and I think either one would work. Once I figure out which DriDown 20°F sleeping bag or quilt to buy, I'll decide between the two pads.

Last edited:
I decided I would want a quilt for lightweight backpacking once I could afford it. It's easy to guess that the deep ridges of the insulated static v would create drafts when using a quilt, so I went with the large-mummy xtherm for $208 instead. Then I felt bad for spending so much on a nice sleeping pad without taking full advantage of it, that I decided to spend an extra $100 toward a 16°F quilt (burrow long and wide) in comparison to the $200 550/650 sleeping bags I was looking at. In the end, I spent an extra $100 on each of the four main components: backpack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and boots than I was planning, but I am glad I did because using the 30lb figure as a guide, the total weight on my back is now 9% lighter (2lb 11oz) and I wont need to replace these for many years unless I want a different color.

look, I figure the cost of a good hotel often pales in comparison when you think about a good nights sleep. so you have to be a little careful for a while, not a problem, if you get out and use that gear, just consider it the cost of maintaining your mental health. Its well worth it.

I decided I would want a quilt for lightweight backpacking once I could afford it. It's easy to guess that the deep ridges of the insulated static v would create drafts when using a quilt, so I went with the large-mummy xtherm for $208 instead. Then I felt bad for spending so much on a nice sleeping pad without taking full advantage of it, that I decided to spend an extra $100 toward a 16°F quilt (burrow long and wide) in comparison to the $200 550/650 sleeping bags I was looking at. In the end, I spent an extra $100 on each of the four main components: backpack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and boots than I was planning, but I am glad I did because using the 30lb figure as a guide, the total weight on my back is now 9% lighter (2lb 11oz) and I wont need to replace these for many years unless I want a different color.

So Jack, what gear did you finally end up with? I'm a big dude but am looking to get my bag down 30 lbs as well. It'd be interesting to see what you ended up favoring in the search.

buy once, cry once :D

the xtherm while spendy has the very best weight/volume to R value; it's also plenty durable. It's light enough that it can be used in "summer" w/o much of a hit, making it a truly 4 season pad. Add a ccf to it and you have a double digit below zero setup

You did good by not getting a Klymit Static V. I spent one night on mine, and returned it because I hated the large drafty canals, and the pad was too narrow. I went with a Medium Wide Exped Synmat Hyperlight, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I am a small person, but I will never buy a narrow pad again, because I sleep on my stomach, and my arms tend to flail off the pad. I would recommend a Medium wide pad (>= 28") for a comfy night's sleep. I also love my spoon-shaped Nemo sleeping bag...
The Xtherm is a great pad also, and since you got a large it should be wide enough to be comfy...

I think you will find your money was very well spent. I also use the Large xtherm and a large/wide quilt . Apologies for not mentioning that I am 6'1" and 200# as this could have been helpful. Being a larger person I was very comfortable and satisfied with both these items in a wide range of conditions. Keep us posted on how they work out for you!

Back