WIP & Finished Bushcraft Knives

Adventure Sworn

Bushcraft Co. | Cody
Not positive if this is the proper place for some WIP just let me know. :thumbup:

Got some Work In Progress shots for you guys. Haven't done this before but I decided to take some pictures this time as I went along. Not a ton of them, but check it out.

All are WL clones. The basic blanks ground out. Yeah I know I'm a geek, these are the forum member's usernames written on the blanks. It helps me remember. :cool:

Picture3001.jpg

Picture3002.jpg

Picture3003.jpg

Dyed redwood burl, and natural maple burl. Both are stabilized.
Picture3004.jpg

Picture3013.jpg

Picture3014.jpg

Scales fixed on with the epoxy & loveless bolts. Ready to take some form.
Picture3018.jpg

I mark where the palm-swell would be most comfortable on the knife and aim for that. Worked out great in these cases. The coke-bottle shaped base is finished here. Time for the contouring.
Picture3016.jpg

I get as close as I can the belt sander. I got to this phase by using only the belt sander and going down the grits on the belt until quite fine. But no need to get excited, I have a ton of work to do by hand yet.
Picture3020.jpg

After a bunch of hand-sanding, the hands of course pay the price...
Picture3022.jpg

...but I like to think it's worth it. ;)
Picture3023.jpg

Picture3024.jpg

Picture3028.jpg

Picture3034.jpg

Picture3040.jpg

Picture3044.jpg

Picture3041.jpg

Picture3038.jpg

Picture3045.jpg

Picture3058.jpg

Picture3054.jpg

Picture3061.jpg

Picture3063.jpg

Now all I have to do is put on the maker's mark, and finish up the sheaths with Amber.

Two more coming later on this week; Hondo and TF, you're up.

Thanks for looking guys, keep your eyes peeled for more WIP in the future.

Cody

Can you please add me to your list? I want one. Thanks.

shane

Not usually a fan of bushcraft knives, I like bolsters and guards on my knives. I just got to say that I like these ones tho, especially the one with the dark wood!!

They look GREAT!! Very nice work

I know this is a little old but:

Those are awesome. Where do you get your stabilized wood? What do you do to get the contour of the handle (the indent in the back that gives the "neck" of the "coke" bottle)?

I know this is a little old but:

Those are awesome. Where do you get your stabilized wood? What do you do to get the contour of the handle (the indent in the back that gives the "neck" of the "coke" bottle)?

Thanks guys.

The stabilized wood I get from my two favorite suppliers;
http://stores.ebay.com/SDC-Woodworking
www.arizonaironwood.com

I do all of the contouring on a 4x36 belt sander (and a little bit of an oscillating spindle sander) before taking it to hand-sanding. On the belt sander I first ramp the scales from the back to the front. Then I find where the palm swell should be, and simply create the start of the dip behind that, using the wheel of the belt sander. It takes a while slowly sanding away & creating the dip (and making it symmetrical) but after you do it a lot it becomes second nature.

Cody

Back