Wise oppinion Endura or Endura II ? (review)

I wanna ask some one. What is better Endura with Zytel or steel handle?
What is better serated or plane blade ?
For what is originaly Endura made ?
Any expiriance and quality review ?

Thanks Stiglic

Well, I'll give it a shot... I've got a plain-edged Endura II, purchased a year or two ago, and a fully serrated Endura("98"), purchased a couple weeks ago at Blade Show West.

The Endura II uses AUS-6 steel, while the Endura98 is the more highly regarded ATS-55.

The Endura II is drilled and tapped so that the three-screw clip can be mounted for either tip-up or tip-down "right hand" carry. The Endura98 has a reversible pocket clip that can be switched using a couple of pennies (as screwdrivers), for right- or left-hand carry, though it is tip-up only.

The Endura II is considerably heavier due to the all-steel handle (this is not necessarily a bad thing, the all steel handle has a very solid feel to it). The Endura II is also a bit thinner, and its smooth finish is less rough on pants material.

The Endura II, configured for tip-down carry, is quite reasonable for waistband carry (carrying tip-up knives in the waistband always worries me a bit), while the Endura98, with its reversible clip, works great in either left or right front pocket.

The steel-handled Endura II's handle shape is more curved on the end, like the first generation Enduras, though I'm starting to like the extra "bulk" in the end of the handle on the Endura98, which is presumably there to make room for the reversible clip.

Both of my Enduras lock up really tight, with little to no discernable blade play, and both make equally satisfying clicks when they open
smile.gif

If you live somewhere that gets cold, the Endura II will make a point of reminding you when the mercury drops -- here in San Diego, where the put the nightly weather forecast on a continuous tape loop, that isn't so much of a problem
smile.gif

The biggest problem with the Endura II, which is inherent in all of Spyderco's steel handled models (at least the ones bereft of kraton inlays) is that under many conditions of temperature, humidity, etc., the handle can be rather slippery -- I don't open it too quickly, for fear of slipping and ending up with an unfortunate blade/finger interaction. The same fear would keep me from using it with too much force (though the knife itself seems very solid). This is why I don't carry it that much. Still, there's something pleasing about the weight, the concentration of metal in the knife, and its extreme slimness that makes it attractive enough to carry sometimes, especially clipped into one's waistband.

The Endura98, on the other hand, is a real trooper, reasonably slim, light weight, good pocket carry, sure opening, and very secure in the hand.

Despite the sound of the above comments, I'm not trying to talk you out of the Endura II; they're both nice knives -- I just find the Endura98 to be more practical for me.

By the way, I bought the Endura98 fully serrated, because I have a lot of plain-edged knives, and wanted something toothy; if I was buying only one, I'd get plain-edge because it's more versatile (and Joe Talmadge's sharpening FAQs can explain how to sharpen it to do most of the things that a serrated edge knife can do). Or, the Endura98 (at least) is also available with a 50/50 partially serrated edge, so you can have the worst of both worlds
smile.gif

Hope this is helpful...

I can't compete with Carl's excellent review in the above reply, but here is my thoughts, as I have both.

If you intend to work it hard, with maybe a little abuse thrown in, go with the stainless handles.

If you will just carry it for occasional, normal use, go with the plastic. It is also light enough to slip in the waist band of sweats, and running shorts.

If you can sharpen a plain edge, it may be my first choice.

If you don't want to have to sharpen, and worry about your edge being "razor keen" all the time, the "Spyder Edge" may be the way to go. The "Spyder Edge" will cut for a long time without re-sharpening.

They are both winners, and maybe you should consider one of each!

Back