With prices like this, how could it be possible for SAK's to be of good quality???

I am basically a folder knife type guy (Benchmade, Spyderco, ect), but recently I decided that I would have some use for a Swiss Army Knife. Actually, I rarely use a knife and do not depend on one for work or anything. I just like to carry them. I looked at several models online (SAK) over the past day or so. I had a SAK about 10 years ago, but put it somewhere and I do not know where it is. I remember them being expensive, but maybe I am wrong. So I was in my local Walmart today when I came across their knife display. They had a Super Tinker for $19.99. I know that Swiss Army knives can go for over $100, but $19.99??? Most of the SAK's that I have seen online are under $50. So at $19.99 for a Super Tinker what type of quality am I really getting? Has Swiss Army's quality fallen over the years or are these knives considered to be of good quality? Thanks

The Vic SAK are still excellent quality, the low retail price is due to a very large volume manufacturing automation process.

They are better fit and finish than all of the traditional slip joint folding knives in the world today. The only downside for me is the plastic scales. Many owners will pry off the red/black/blue plastic and replace with wood/bone/stag or other materials. This is any easy project with hand tools.

Regards,
FK

Also, they can keep their costs down and efficiency up because they're not forced to hire affirmative action employees or forced to deal with fighting ethnic/gender harassment lawsuits.

Thirteenth Star said:
Also, they can keep their costs down and efficiency up because they're not forced to hire affirmative action employees or forced to deal with fighting ethnic/gender harassment lawsuits.

It might also have something to do with the fact that in that part of the world they prefer to make a high quality product and sell it at an affordable price; to make a decent living and not be too greedy. Something that is very alien to this part of money centric world.

gatch said:
It might also have something to do with the fact that in that part of the world they prefer to make a high quality product and sell it at an affordable price; to make a decent living and not be too greedy. Something that is very alien to this part of money centric world.

Very good point. I was also a tactical folder person before, but now a complete believer in Victorinox's SAK!

Chris "Anagarika" said:
Very good point. I was also a tactical folder person before, but now a complete believer in Victorinox's SAK!

Same here. In the past I thought Victorinox's SAKs weren't any good and I bought pretty expensive folders, but that was before I bought my first Victorinox (Explorer). Since then I'm hooked. I only buy and carry SAKs nowadays.

>>>>"Also, they can keep their costs down and efficiency up because they're not forced to hire affirmative action employees or forced to deal with fighting ethnic/gender harassment lawsuits."

===========================

I assure you the tax structure in Europe is a far greater burden for manufacturers there than the burden imposed on U.S. manufacturers from being "forced to hire affirmative action employees or forced to deal with fighting ethnic/gender harassment lawsuits." Compared to Europe, U.S. businesses have it EASY! Hell, compared to the rest of the world, U.S. businesses have it easy. But I do admire your "les all blame the guhment!" tenacity. :jerkit:

FK said:
The Vic SAK are still excellent quality, the low retail price is due to a very large volume manufacturing automation process.

They are better fit and finish than all of the traditional slip joint folding knives in the world today. The only downside for me is the plastic scales. Many owners will pry off the red/black/blue plastic and replace with wood/bone/stag or other materials. This is any easy project with hand tools.

Regards,
FK

I'd like to do that FK. Where may I obtain custom scales?

Hi,

On the subject of cost, volume of production along with design play huge roles. Considering that Vic makes 10's of thousandsa of knives EVERY day, I'm not surprised by their costs.

I have about 400 Vic's in my collection. My EDC is a Huntsman (same as it was in 1961) I'm on my third Huntsman as I lost one and broke (through overstressing it) my second.

My undergraduate degree is in Mechanical Engineering and my graduate work is in Materials Science (Metallurgy). I think the question of Vic quality is a non sequitor.

Cheers - Joe

Sonny Burnett said:
Same here. In the past I thought Victorinox's SAKs weren't any good and I bought pretty expensive folders, but that was before I bought my first Victorinox (Explorer). Since then I'm hooked. I only buy and carry SAKs nowadays.
I love my Explorer. It's the most versatile of the medium layered SAK's in my opinion.

Bringing this one back up. In addition, SAKs come in a great variety from the small 58mm Classic to the 111mm Lockblades. Scale materials include Alox (anodized aluminum), Cellidor (plant based cellulose product) and Nylon. These are the reasons I got hooked and have left most of my "Tacticals" behind.:D

Funny SAK story. (At least I thought it was funny.)

I was on a brief assignment in Jakarta, Indonesia. Part of the team was a guy from Switzerland. He brought a pocketful of SAKs with him, figuring they would make good gifts. About halfway into the trip, he came out of the hotel gift shop red faced and spitting nails. They had SAKs in the gift shop, cheaper than he had bought them from the Victorinox factory store, across the street from his office.

You can't beat SAKs for value. It also helps that their model line is simply swapping tools around, so they just need to crank more tools.

echosix said:
Funny SAK story. (At least I thought it was funny.)

I was on a brief assignment in Jakarta, Indonesia. Part of the team was a guy from Switzerland. He brought a pocketful of SAKs with him, figuring they would make good gifts. About halfway into the trip, he came out of the hotel gift shop red faced and spitting nails. They had SAKs in the gift shop, cheaper than he had bought them from the Victorinox factory store, across the street from his office.

Yes. It seems that Vic SAKs are one thing that you can find at a reasonable price just about anywhere on the planet. When I lived in Guatemala, one of my friends had lost a SAK that his girlfriend had given him before he left the States. She was coming to visit, and he didn't want her to discover that he had lost her going away present. Imported goods purchased in Guatemala normally cost about twice what they do in the States. I figured he was going to have to spend about $60 to replace that SAK (I don't recall the model). Much to my surprise, he found a replacement knife in a hardware store for about what his girl paid for the first one.

Victorinox SAKs are one of the best cutlery bargains on the planet. I don't understand how they do it. Super quality at a reasonable price. I don't know what blade steel they use or the heat treat for it, but it will take a screaming sharp edge and hold it for a fairly good while. Edge retention is up there with some of the "super steels" in my experience. The scales are a little cheesy but if you're gonna cut corners, that's a better place to do it than the "working" end of the knife. I've been well served and very pleased with every Vnox purchase to date.

I can't say that about ANY other knife company.

Harry Callahan said:
Victorinox SAKs are one of the best cutlery bargains on the planet. I don't understand how they do it. Super quality at a reasonable price. I don't know what blade steel they use or the heat treat for it, but it will take a screaming sharp edge and hold it for a fairly good while. Edge retention is up there with some of the "super steels" in my experience. The scales are a little cheesy but if you're gonna cut corners, that's a better place to do it than the "working" end of the knife. I've been well served and very pleased with every Vnox purchase to date.

I can't say that about ANY other knife company.

It's the powers of the Swiss mountain gods that let them do it. :D

It's the powers of the Swiss mountain gods that let them do it.

I think it's really because of the Swiss Elves who come in at night to work on the knives when nobody is looking... =)

Back