Won't be using a knife much for awhile!

Had a Grade 3 shoulder separation 2 weeks ago, so reading this thread is hitting close to home. Not as serious as you have had to deal with. Hope you can still enjoy you favorite activities. Take care.

First I'm seeing this - good to read that things are coming along and that things are sorry of stable. After reading the thread, I can't help but wonder why they opted not to do a full replacement. Was it because of Worker's Comp?

First I'm seeing this - good to read that things are coming along and that things are sorry of stable. After reading the thread, I can't help but wonder why they opted not to do a full replacement. Was it because of Worker's Comp?

Well, that's the question I suppose. My surgeon advised that if the operation they wanted to do didn't work they could still do a replacement. And I supposedly am younger than they like to do replacements on as they have a finite lifespan. Some say that's BS pushed by insurance companies to save money while some say outliving the replacement is a legitimate concern. Hard to sort out the truth of it I suppose. It sounds like I could have pushed for the replacement but at the time the notion scared me and the surgery they did seemed less scary.😂 In any event I can do most things that I could before but I don't have the range of motion I did before.

Outlasting the replacement is definitely a reality faced by many; and I suppose, at some point, replacing a replacement carries the additional concern of having enough solid material onto which to attach.
Regards

Well, that's the question I suppose. My surgeon advised that if the operation they wanted to do didn't work they could still do a replacement. And I supposedly am younger than they like to do replacements on as they have a finite lifespan. Some say that's BS pushed by insurance companies to save money while some say outliving the replacement is a legitimate concern. Hard to sort out the truth of it I suppose. It sounds like I could have pushed for the replacement but at the time the notion scared me and the surgery they did seemed less scary.😂 In any event I can do most things that I could before but I don't have the range of motion I did before.
Me and many other got replacements in our 30s in the military. No one ever brought up outliving the replacement. Gives me food for thought.

Yeah, I dunno. That's what the surgeon told me. And to be honest, the thought of having a guy with a saw cut out the joint and replace it with plastic and titanium freaked me out!:eek:😂 At the time I'd never even been under general anesthetic before, just the operation they did a daunting thought. In retrospect I dunno. The recuperation for a full replacement would have actually been shorter although not without potential problems of its own. Ultimately it works pretty good now but there's arthritis in the joint where it broke. It's possible it will still need replaced someday, but then again it might have needed it without the injury. In the end the guy that did the operation is among the best orthopedic surgeons in Montana, the guy they usually call for a second opinion. I know a lot about cooking and a bit about knives but not much about orthopedic surgery. 😂 He thought this was the best way to go and it appealed to the coward in me. If I'm still around in 20 years I may revisit the issue.😉

Me and many other got replacements in our 30s in the military. No one ever brought up outliving the replacement. Gives me food for thought.

It might depend on the joint, too. A buddy of mine was a miner and was injured by a falling boulder; he got a hip replacement in his early 20s. No issues with it, and that was probably almost 25 years ago.

Well, after what seems like an eternity I finally settled out my comp case! Got the check today, deposited it in my bank. I'll need to start looking for a job soon but this takes the pressure off as I can take a few months if I need to to find the ideal gig. For the most part the shoulder is okay; it will never be what it was but I can do most things as long as they're below eye level.;)
😂

Well, I actually started working again, back in the kitchen! I told 'em I only wanted to work maybe 25 hours for awhile...so immediately they asked if I would manage the kitchen. 😂 Baby steps! After almost two years of not working I need to ease my way into it. The shoulder has been fine, ironically it's my back and feet that are killing me.😉

Back