Woobie-off: Kifaru vs. Group 1 Equipment

I was all ready to drop the hammer on a Kifaru Woobie, when I ran across this offering from a small company called Group One Equipment. It's about the same size, uses 3 oz. Permaloft instead of the Woobie's 2 oz. Climateshield. I wonder if that puts it right in between the Woobie and Doobie for warmth/compression. Anyone have experience with the Group One version?

http://stores.group1equipment.com/-strse-6/G1-Liner/Detail.bok

Also Wiggys makes a similar Poncho Liner including one design which zips up like a sleeping bag. I own one and really like it..

Also Wiggys makes a similar Poncho Liner including one design which zips up like a sleeping bag. I own one and really like it..

How long is the Wiggy? The Wiggy web site doesn't give specs, but implies that their liners are standard size, which I guess means 62" x 82". Both the Kifaru and Group 1 are over 90", which is attractive to a tall guy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm only 6' tall, and I love that the Woobie is that long. I can wrap my feet up, have my 65lbs Pitbull under it, and still have enough length to put it over my face if I need to.

The G1 says it's 60"x96", that's pretty big.
Woobie is 64"x93"

Is the G1 stiched together like the Woobies, just around the perimiter, that's how I'm reading the info? I like the way that the Woobie lays on me, if it were quilted, it would not be as warm.

Be happy to answer any questions.
Basics: Our shelter pieces ( hard shells and liners) are designed to work alone or in combination with each other, this gives end users the ability to rig hundreds of different shelters, hammocks and other for a variety of conditions. We also make custom pieces depending on needs.

Devils Knob, thanks for your interest! The Prima Loft insulation we use is one of the warmest per weight available, it's CLO factor is nearly as warm when wet. Our end users have been part of the development process, weight, compressibility and warmth is very important to them. The G1 Liner ( 24oz, aprox.5'x8') and the G1 Recon Liner ( 15oz, aprox.5'x6')would be closer to the second one you mentioned. Layers are designed to work together for more efficiency.

Foxx The 96" length of the G1 Liner and G1 Large Liner ( aprox. 8'x8' )works well for tucking under feet and over head. I completely agree about quilting and they are sewn at the edge, why puncture the exterior layer? We do quilt the inner layer on the G1 Large Liners and on request others. The inner layer is designed to breath and allows moisture to move out and away from the body while providing a good balance of resistance for warmth. Resistance for warmth breathability for comfort.

We encourage customers to contact us first so we can dial in what works best for their needs.

I have used a friend's Kifaru Woobie and it was the best one yet and own a USGI and Wiggy. The Wiggy is well made and warm but packs down like an angry black bear. In the end it become a truck blanket. Nice kit if someone doesn't care about the weight and bulk. I don’t know anything about group one.

Golf1echo
Thanks, what's the packed size of the G1 Liner if you use a compression stuff sack?

I have used a friend's Kifaru Woobie and it was the best one yet and own a USGI and Wiggy. The Wiggy is well made and warm but packs down like an angry black bear. In the end it become a truck blanket. Nice kit if someone doesn't care about the weight and bulk. I don’t know anything about group one.

WW, how does the Wiggys compare in warmth, comfort, and utility to the Woobie. I conure with you on the Wiggys as it stays in the truck full time. I'm buying a Woobie.

Be happy to answer any questions.

i'm interested in the multicam tarps (i'm in my experimenting with shelters stage :))...any chance the product page for them will be updated with their dimensions? and where are your products made in? i can't find the warranty page on the website either. thanks!

WW, how does the Wiggys compare in warmth, comfort, and utility to the Woobie. I conure with you on the Wiggys as it stays in the truck full time. I'm buying a Woobie.

I might be able to add something here, I own an old Wiggys liner, and a not so old Woobie. I agree with Woods Walker about the lack of compactability (is that a word?) of the Wiggys product. It seems much stiffer, although I think I prefer the Wiggy's outer material- it feels more like cotton or natural fibre. My Woobie has a very slick finish, not bad, but you're always going to know that you're wrapped in synthetic. The Woobie drapes much much better, chalk and cheese difference between the two. I think the Woobie feels warmer, but a lot of that could be down to the fact that you can wrap up much more snugly in the Woobie, without dead air spaces and drafts.
G

Thanks for the link, after reading the respones i was all excited a bout a 8' by 8" blanket and then I went and looked at the price, I was like awe dang-it. I am not paying $360 for a light blanket. I have been looking at the woobies and doobies and now the link to this company and I would like to get one so bad, but good grief the prices of some nylon and some filler to put inbetween those sheets of nylon and sew it up, is a freaking crazy.
So back to my Military wool banket ( I paid $12 for it)and a Military poncho( $20 for it) liner. They work great for the late spring and summer and early fall but to have one light big blanky lol would be so awesome as long it did not cost a 1/3 of a months paycheck.

Bryan

Devils Knob, about the size of a hand spread out.
IMG_0552.jpg
[/IMG]

JV3, PM sent. All of our products are made here in Western North Carolina with American materials by Americans ( Berry Amendment Compliant ) We stand behind all of our products.

I can only speak for the Kifaru. I have an older Gen 1 and a later model 'Double'. Certaintly expensive but if you live out of your rucksack and bet your life on your gear well worth it. I have literally 100's of reconaissance missions on my earlier Gen 1 from the Army and several deployments. It has served me extremley well. When operating in the field I always preferred a blanket because I wouldn't tangle up if I needed to get up quick. I would not recommend the Double. It has more bulk and weight than a comparable sized sleeping bag.

JV3, PM sent. All of our products are made here in Western North Carolina with American materials by Americans ( Berry Amendment Compliant ) We stand behind all of our products.

got the pm. thanks for the info! All of our products are made here in Western North Carolina with American materials by Americans ( Berry Amendment Compliant ) We stand behind all of our products. - you need to put that front and center in your website imho. that's a huge plus for me and i'm sure for others too.

JV3 I appreciate that feed back, we are hoping to improve our site in a few ways.

Fieldtestornothing, That is a great description of liner use and the benefits, for myself it would be a rare occasion that I would ever deploy a sleeping bag again.

I know this is an older thread, but Hill People Gear make an awesome product as well. My only experience with a Mil Spec + (can we call these "super liners" that?), though I looked at Kifaru when I ordered a pack last year, I liked the HPG multi-cam better.

Never seen the G1E liners, but they do look good, I also like some of the shells they have after going thru their site, I think some would make a awesome subdued hammock fly, but most do not list the size of them? I am currently using the larger coyote colored Hennessy hex for wet/ cold weather, and the standard asym for decent weather outings, so Im always looking for a multicam alternative. You can call me an Elitist MC snob, it wont hurt my feelings.

The HPG serape is AWESOME in case anyone does not already know that. When the woobie express came out I almost jumped just because of the MC but then Evan came out with the MC version of the serape around the same time, do not know who came first in the MC world, but HPG had the serape before the woobie express was released if I remember my timelines correctly. The hood, zips, and multifunction options made it a no brainer to go with. But it does weight more than the woobie express. I own 2 woobies already and they are great as well, so don't think I am bashing Kifaru. I have gear boxes full of their stuff. My favorite part of the serape is the great coat mode when the wind is blowing or early morning waling around camp. I found if you unzip the last 15-18 of it, even with my 6'1" 220lb frame, you can easily and warmly sit Indian style on a mat keeping the tucked front flap across the top and side of your legs, while the zipped rear still provides a baffle for the rear across the sides. Then the little tube that is created from the zipped portion acts and a hand/ arm warmer while you wait for whatever 4 legged creature you are hunting. Only down sides I have found is the hood kills @60% of my hearing ability and occasionally when walking in poncho mode, the rear pulls down a bit to the point that the zipper is riding my neck. it does not choke me since I adjust it when this occurs, but wearing the hood decreases this occurring but kills the hear ability.

One other thing, when using the serape as a sleeping bag, tuck the hood into the bag,then cinch it shut. This completely stops any drafts and if you sleep face to the opening (which most do), the hood can line right up to be laid under your hip to provide a little padding against the ground. Don't know if it was meant for this to occur, I just find it works awesome. It also works great as a top quilt in the hammock or at movie time in the lovesac when at home.

JWL, thanks for resurrecting this old thread, I'm sure it will still continue to help people with options in the future.

Anyone mind if I resurrect this thread again?..

I am looking at the kifaru and wilderness Innovations... I bought a Snugpak Jungle Blanket and am liking the blanket camping thing.

Back