Wood Handle Question?

I just purchased a Masakage Yuki and have a question on the handle of the knife. The specifications list it as having an "Oval handle of Magnolia wood and red pakka wood". The red pakka wood is finished near the blade, but the Magnolia wood does not have any type of finish on it. It's simply sanded. Do Japanese kitchen knives typically have a finished handle?

Sounds about normal.

When I started buying sushi knives most the handles are magnolia, they are grippy.

As my budget increased I sought after shitan (rosewood) or ebony.

I've been reading various threads on how to take care of the unfinished wood. I'm leaning towards Danish oil, unless there is a better suggestion.

I've been reading various threads on how to take care of the unfinished wood. I'm leaning towards Danish oil, unless there is a better suggestion.
I would suggest using Tru Oil gun stock finish. It will last longer than Danish oil and should provide better protection. You can find it on amazon for around $10.

Ok I did a little reading and Japanese chefs use camellia oil.
It was used for katana back then and now chef knives. Both for wood and blade (carbon steel).
I think I paid less than 10 bucks and it is food safe. Tastes minty (I tasted it)
chefknivestogo_2272_69510231

Back