Wood Handles for Hard-Use Knives..Your Experiece??

So,

There is this local maker who prefers to offer his knives with wood handles. And given that I really respect his style and artistry, I am planning on buying a couple of his knives with wood handles. But, I have very little experience with wood handles, and have heard all sorts of horror stories about them moving and cracking, etc.

To the point-

1) What has been your experience with wood handles in use?

2) Any wood rise to the top as a proven performer?

3) Sought after characteristics would be reistance to moisture, toughness, what else?

4) What 5 woods would be the best for a knife handle?

In short, what all do you all know about wood for knife handles that I should know?

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

My website, guided links, talonite/cobalt alloy info, etc....
http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

>>--->Bill Siegle Custom Knives<---<<
-http://www.geocities.com/siegleknives-

"To wait for luck is the same as waiting for death." -Japanese Proverb

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal, 210 B.C.

Wood handled utility knives have been good for me. I like Desert Ironwood and Cocobolo. They are dense, stable, and beautiful.

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

I’d say the harder the better. A hard, dense and tough wood, that has been treated correctly by the maker does not tend to move or crack unless it is allowed to completely dry out. Best treatment for most woods is either oil or some sort of wax-based mix. Linseed oil also hardens when it dries, making the surface more resistant to scratches. A wood like Teak contains a lot of oil naturally, which is good, but it tends to be a little soft for knife handles I think.

I have experienced good performance from woods like Cocobolo, Ziricote and other exotic hardwoods. Of course anything will scratch if used hard enough, even G10, but a nice wood acquires a certain patina with time, which few manmade materials can compete with.

Regards Jan

I have used more than 30 different types of wood on knife handles for everything from filet knives to bowies. In most cases, the choice is a trade off between looks and performance factors. I have had good results with walnut, teak, cocobolo and purpleheart. The best hard use wood that I ever used was when I was doing custom work for Cutlery World and an explorer wanted something real tough to take on safari. I used lignum vitae. My only bad experience was with two Randall bowies that I had in a display case at an outdoor show. The knives got so hot in the glass display case that both handles split along their entire length. I hope that this info is of some use.
Bubba

puokkos are built for hard use and have wood handles. I've had good luck with a Helle puokko whose handle is described as curly birch.
I've got a question: I've admired the looks of an AG Russell folder with a handle made of something called Chinese quince. Anybody know anything about this wood and how it holds up?

Back