Wood Handles

Obviously, I am a huge fan of S!K knives and the folks behind them. I also think that the choice of handle materials that are currently offered is great and I don't want to see S! change anything!

However, I also think that some Desert Ironwood scales (with the exact same contours as the stock scales) would looks stunning on my GSO 5. I don't think I would want them on there all the time, but maybe they could get attached for special occasions. ;) With that in mind, I thought I would ask if anyone had made wood scales for their S! knife or if they could recommend someone that does this kind of work.

Seriously, think about how cool a Desert Ironwood S! would look...

Time for another beer. Cheers!

Are you on Facebook? There is a guy in the fan group who has made at least one set of wooden scales. If you're up for checking it out, cool. If you're not the Facebooking type, let me know and maybe I can find a way to get you in touch.

I am in the FB group. Now that you mention it, I think I remember it. I'll look around and see if I can find them on FB.

It can be that hard. Use your standard scales as a template

Obviously, I am a huge fan of S!K knives and the folks behind them. I also think that the choice of handle materials that are currently offered is great and I don't want to see S! change anything!

However, I also think that some Desert Ironwood scales (with the exact same contours as the stock scales) would looks stunning on my GSO 5. I don't think I would want them on there all the time, but maybe they could get attached for special occasions. ;) With that in mind, I thought I would ask if anyone had made wood scales for their S! knife or if they could recommend someone that does this kind of work.

Seriously, think about how cool a Desert Ironwood S! would look...

Time for another beer. Cheers!

We did a very, very tiny batch of ironwood handles. They were a request from a dealer. If my memory is working properly, there were 10-12 but 1 didn't make it through production and 2 came back as returns because they broke when the buyers were being rough with their knife. Needless to say, we aren't going to make wood scales anymore.

But they did look pretty. I will ask Guy if he has any pictures of them squirreled away on his computer.

I agree that some wooden scales would make for a very nice Sunday-go-to-meeting GSO, especially if it were in a nice matching color leather sheath. I get it that this is taking the S!K beyond where S!K is willing to go, but I bet you could find a maker to do the scales. As was stated, the micarta scales could serve as a template of sorts.

We did a very, very tiny batch of ironwood handles. They were a request from a dealer. If my memory is working properly, there were 10-12 but 1 didn't make it through production and 2 came back as returns because they broke when the buyers were being rough with their knife. Needless to say, we aren't going to make wood scales anymore.

But they did look pretty. I will ask Guy if he has any pictures of them squirreled away on his computer.

Thanks for the reply. It would be cool to see pics if Guy can find them.

I'm trying to get down to talk to a guy on Friday that did custom Fallkniven F1 handles a few years ago and can ask him if he's still got the time to do some S! handles in other materials. I don't know if he's still doing those since Fallkniven stopped selling blade blanks but he might have an itch that needs scratching. :)

A couple of the F1s he did for me back in the day:
ThreeF1s.jpg

B

I also would love some Ironwood handles. I have never broken a knife or handle in my life, and those would be great! I have 2 Survives on order. A 6 and a 4.5. If someone finds any, let us know

Well, never mind...he's gone.

Went back to grad school out East and not coming back for a while. I guess his plate is full now. :p

I knew I saw these somewhere! It took a bit of searching but it was on Instagram.
b4ec5db8672a4c34c09637ba9c8f7490.jpg

065fb31de1ee2fbe9112ecd82fdd0027.jpg

Back