Wood used in Sheaths????

timcsaw

Gold Member
Anyone know what type of wood is used in these sheaths? I'm assuming it's a very lightweight wood so probably not a hardwood.

Anyone know what kind of wood is used (I'm making one of my own).

Thanks Gents (and Ladies)...

I can't say for certain. It's a very blonde wood. Birch perhaps or some similar variety?
Seems too soft for Birch so can't say. I'm sure somebody here knows.

Thanks Bawanna... I think you're right that it's too soft to be birch... it's almost like Pine or Basswood, but I don't know if they have much of either in Nepal. Hop, fully someone will offer some more ideas.

Yangdu just responded and said the sarkis use pine and other soft woods to make the sheaths.
I've watched video of them doing the wood part. They make it look easy but I have serious doubts I could do it myself.
I made a wood sheath for my WWII but didn't do it the way they do.

Well, Bawanna. I been playing with this website like you suggested and I believe getting to know it is akin to making a wooden sheath. Guess I was too used to the old format. You might want to try some poplar wood. It's not expensive and is what most non-professional (read Bookie here) katana makers use for their sayas & tsukas (if they do not buy a tailor made). I find it easy to work with, light, and pretty strong/tough. If I can do both, anyone ought to be able to carve out a khuk cover.

Yeah, the new format takes some getting used to for sure.
Like every other change, down the road a piece it will seem normal and not nearly so foreign.
At least I hope so. They do this to me at work all the time.
I get something figured out and they swap things around that usually don't work and tell me to do the best I can.

Auntie just sent me a followup on the wood used for the sheaths after speaking with the Sarki.

I just got this wood info on sheath from Sham sarki.
The wood used for sheaths are"
Lahare, Peepal, Simal and Daab.

I have no clue what these woods are, I assume some variation of the softer woods we have.
But there you have it.

timcsaw: If you're going to wrap the wood in leather like the sarkis do, then try to get wood like theirs. If you're not going to wrap with leather, you should probably use a tougher wood and make it thicker than the wood on an HI scabbard. I agree with Bookie that poplar is a good choice, and it's easily available at least in the U.S.

If you intend to wrap the wood cover I would encourage using 1/4" or 6mm plywood as a base. Luan or some multiply stuff used as sub flooring. Add a narrow piece (maybe 3/8" wide x 1/4" thick) of solid wood between 2 layers of ply and you have the beginning of one rugged sheath. Cover with leather or wrap made from rawhide cord, paracord, or even natural hemp or jute - all of these covered with multiple coats of varnish or epoxy. Add a leather dangler for a comfortable walk about.

I do intend to produce one of these someday but for now I'm just talkin'.:rolleyes: I'd love to see what anyone else comes up with and I will post photos someday too.

Ray

Thanks to all for the information, ideas, and insights. I'm going to do a bit of experimentation with a few wood varieties (poplar, beech, and basswood to start). I will probably cover the sheath with thin leather all around with some additional reinforcement at the blade edge (yes, I've sliced my fingers pulling a Khuk from the sheath). Don't be in a hurry pulling Khuk from sheath!! :eek:'

I've modified a couple of Auntie's sheaths for horizontal back carry and I really like them... this one will probably follow the same.

Thanks again feller's!

I agree with the Poplar. It is plentiful at hardware stores as is pine. If you have a flooring manufacturer or installer you can find all kinds of great wood scraps in their dumpsters. Sometimes some real exotics show up. Here's one I made from the stuff. If it will survive generations of trampling on then it will likely serve you well as a knife sheath i figure.

39e6f23c9db2196e31ce4b6afd56a4fa

I know! Kill the Heretic! Its not a Khuk but you get the ideer!

3d6380dce43a790a51f1997adaade093

What's that chopper called? Interesting slit in the side of it... not sure what that's for. One is a belt loop?

That's a really cool sheath! ndog you're awesome.

Its an E-toh. You can get them from sellers in the Aranyik district of Taiwan (through that auction). They are made from Rock saw blades. They must do a bunch of quarrying around there? I hear they are plentiful around Cambodia as well. The slit in the side is a side entry and doubles as a spring to retain the blade. You stick the tip in near the bottom then pop the blade in. That is a belt loop like you said. I just bought a second one for my son in law but he dont want fancy wood or anything. Says he wants something ugly so he dont have to worry bout messin it up. Looks like I get to give Kydex a try soon eh? I always wanted to try that anyway.

Probably typing with his gloves on again. Oh that's right he don't wear gloves or shoes for that matter.

Your right! Man I looked at that and thought something wasnt right! Yes Thailand..ooops. Thanks for the correction. I was going to say it was late and maybe after a six pack but it wasnt:rolleyes:

Back