Wooden Sheath/scabbard

I am interested in making a wooden sheath for a bolo/machete for my brother.

The style of sheath I am talking about is the primitive type used with Japanese hatchets and edged tools used in the Philippines.

This to be a simple sheath for a working tool.

My plan so far is to use two slabs of oak, routering out wood on each side so when assembled there is enough space for the blade.
The two slabs will be held together with epoxy and copper pins, possibly with copper wire wrapping at the throat, and open at the bottom so dirt, etc. can escape.

The part I cannot figure out is how to attach the belt loop to the wood, or attach a baldric style set up to it.

The only idea I have come up with so far is trying to make something like a drawer pull of brass (or even hardwood, like the one on typical Japanese sword sayas) and screwing/glueing that to the back of the sheath, threading Cordura webbing or leather through that and stitching it into a belt loop.

Has anyone built something like this and have any input they could share? Or has anyone seen enough of these types of sheaths to suggest what might work on what does not?

Or do you think my approach is sound enough?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Brome

Back