WooHoo! Got drawn for Nevada antelope!

Well, my dad did actually. My brother and I are both planning on going to help out and do everything we can to ensure my dad gets an animal.

I don't know the zone designation he got, but it is the extreme North West corner of Nevada on the border. Now we need to start putting together a plan for hunting efficiently in this region.

Anyone have any experiance hunting antelope in this area? The plan is to try to get one with pistol, .460 S&W magnum is good out to 250 yards, but will be bringing the .30-06 just in case for longer shots.

-Xander

Thanx guys. It is unit 011 and I have been researching a bit. Looks like we are going to head east of the ghost town Vya over to Massacre Lake. I have found plenty of springs north from Massacre Lake to Sage Hen Springs, west of Fatty Mtn. and all this is just south of the Sheldon Antelope Preserve. Looks promising on the map with low sloping foot hills, lots of water and on the edges of decent wood lots. Minimal private land there as well, jeep trails lading into right where we want to be.

Looks like our hunt dates will be the week ending Aug 31.

-Xander

I just got off the phone with my mother, my dad and brother went up to the region I outlined above to scout and check out the terrain. Things look very promising! Everything on the maps I made worked out perfect, my research paid off and my dad said he saw maybe a dozen speed goats! That's just in one day of scouting so dad is quite pleased! Now I just have to watch the watering holes for the next 7 weeks and see what things are changing food-wise.

We will be leaving on Aug 23 or 24, returning by the 31st hopfully sooner with an animal! Already have a meat packer ligned up in NV so we don't have to worry about the quarantine of bringing the animals skull into CA.

Should be a good trip!

-Xander

Cool man have fun. I have archery mule deer tags in Utah and Nevada.

The season starts august 10 for Nevada's and August 17 Utah.

My Nevada hunt I have to backpack into a wilderness area it's a ton of fun.

Back