Woot, got lucky with this one! RMK #25-5

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Very seldom do I come across 'perfect' knives by any maker, and while I bought this #25-5 for resale, it's so perfect that I may end up keeping it! It came in a small box, and opening it, I was thinking a Model #26 had been sent by accident.

With a slightly reduced handle, and a slightly shorter blade (4-5/8's), and more metal removed than normal (looks more like 3/16's steel than 1/4"), the whole knife feels lighter, more balanced, and about 10% smaller than any of the ~10 RMK #25-5's I've owned...

A flawless knife with great stag, the sheath is really nice too. Way to go RMK, this one is perfect - very cool stuff! :cool:

PK.jpg

Beautiful!!! If it was a 25-6 it would be perfect.

DTH,

Not sure that 'incorrect' is the proper term. Randall knives are hand made, and as such there are occasional variances. I've had knives with both thicker and thinner steel than specified in the catalog, as well as longer and shorter blades. I had a Model #16 Divers knife once that used very thick steel, almost 5/16's - and I once had a Model #2-8 with a blade that was almost a full 8-1/2 inch long. So yes, it does happen...to me, those off-spec characteristics are part of what makes RMK's so darn cool...

Shel

Very nice,.
I love the mod 25. I have the mod 25-6 and it's so perfect balanced. It looks like yours but with the 6 inch blade :)
Great catch

Yeah, "incorrect" was the only word I could think of at the time to describe not being the nominal length specified in the catalog. I was just curious as I have a long wait to get the knife I have already ordered and the one I can order 1 week from today. Thanks.

Rob

Nice 25 i've been contemplating getting one for a while now. I was looking at one mainly for deer hunting and outdoors use which i think the 5" blade would be better at than a 6" blade. Do you prefer the stainless over the 01? I was going to get one in 01 myself probably a little easier to sharpen. Do you think the 01 would be a tougher steel in the long run, not as corrosion resistant i know but thats not what i mean.

Doug

Doug,

I think the #25-5 would be a better blade length, as the 6" blade version is actually a very different knife; IMO, much larger overall, and better suited towards camp chores - I prefer SS because most of my keepers are safe queens, few get used, and the others get resold. I'm probably not qualified to answer the last part of your question, sorry. Hopefully someone with more real world experience here will chime in...

btw, the knife shown above is the smallest OAL #25 I've ever seen...

-S

O-1 is a damned good steel, and yes, it's probably tougher than their stainless. But I wouldn't be too smug about the corrosion resistance thing - O-1 will rust if you look at it the wrong way. Unless you're fanatic about keeping your knife oiled, waxed, or whatever your preference is, you'll most likely have a very expensive, rusty knife at some point down the line.

Thanks Gents your probably right stainless would most likely be the way to go.

Doug

It's funny, but there are certain knives (like the model 27) that are so ubiquitous in stainless that a pristine knife in O-1 is actually hard to find. You'd think that would be worth more, but nah, nobody wants one.

I've got one. It's definitely a user, though.

Damn, that's a pretty one! If you do decide to sell it I want to know.

Back