Work in Progress/Preview 12/6/16

I hope everyone has had a good week, my face feels better and you can hardly tell I fell on it anymore.:D

After 46 days straight this Fall with no rain, it decided to finally rain and its been raining the last 3 1/2 days straight.

On a good note the oven I have been waiting on for over a month finally came in, Its a Paragon Bouble Barrel 24T with and inert gas flow meter. I'm pretty sure this is the first one made in this configuration because they had to make the part number for it to bill me.

This oven will do several things for me, besides the fact that its pretty big. It has a 24" deep 4" high 11" wide chamber this should handle even some of my biggest ambitions. The inert gas flow meter allows me to pump argon into the kiln for a near zero oxygen enviroment. This feature is nice to have when you work with as much stainless as I do. My main motivation behind geting my own oven is so I can dive deeper into different alloys and their properties, having my own dedicated oven will allow me to dial in an keep numerous heat treating profiles saved into the oven. I am looking forward to setting it up and using it soon!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Here is what I am working on for Thursday
From top to bottom
1/8" CPM154 Warthog (Guardless Variant) Spalted Mable Burl over Natrual w/ white accent liner
1/8" CPM154 Raptor ( K Variant) Commando Natural Micarta
1/8" CPM154 Unnamed prototype Commando Double Black Canvas Micarta

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Further down the line work in progress
Top two are CPM154 Bottom 2 are Takefu Suminagashi Steel

Hosted on Fotki

Just got a bunch of S35vn in, 2 bars 3/32, 2 bars 1/8" 2 bars 5/32" all run oversized due to the mill scale like CPM154
I plan on breaking into these here pretty soon.

Hosted on Fotki

Scribed out a batch for Fiddleback Outpost, I hope to have these completed and to them before Christmas

Hosted on Fotki

Thank you for looking!
Questions and comments welcome!

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Last edited:
:thumbup::eek:You're new prototype looks wicked Chris! Will it be double edged?

Looking forward to seeing how those the new models and the two Trail Hands above turn out!!!!

Well Congratulations on , in no particular order that new oven and your face being none the worse for the wear. I haven't been around that long but it's good to see you getting "geared up" for the next phase of OK&T. Those "further down the road pieces look real intriguing as does that unnamed commando!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbup::eek:You're new prototype looks wicked Chris! Will it be double edged?

Thanks Gus! It's right your alley.
Not this one, this one will just have a swedge for better penetration and slimmer blade profile. I will make some again with a sharpened clip.

Well Congratulations on , in no particular order that new oven and your face being none the worse for the wear. I haven't been around that long but it's good to see you getting "geared up" for the next phase of OK&T. Those "further down the road pieces look real intriguing as does that unnamed commando!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Doug! The unnamed commando turn out really sweet! Well the all did, hard o choose a favorite for me this week.

Plus now you can get some serious baking on turn out a mean souffle.

BTW I like how you run out the plunge diagonally instead of vertically. You should see an improvement in true cutting edge length on those first 3.

BTW I like how you run out the plunge diagonally instead of vertically. You should see an improvement in true cutting edge length on those first 3.

Excellent observation Jarrett! I agree completely. Another bonus to that is that the plunge line more closely aligns with the primary angle on the front of the handle scales. Balance, function, and visual harmony all working together is a sweet thing indeed.

Phil

Last edited:
Does it do cookies too?

The new model looks cool. Handle looks like the trailhand/Mamushi style that has gone over well and the grinds are amazing. Glad there is no goofy choil with a wierd guard like you see on similar style knives.

Can anyone explain why the stainless steel bars run thicker than how they are listed?

Can anyone explain why the stainless steel bars run thicker than how they are listed?

Removing the mill scale during your finishing processes can leave you with a significant difference in thickness of your bar stock. They oversize it to make sure you actually get the 3/32" you paid for. It's cheaper for them than to surface grind the stock prior to sale. In fact getting the bar stock surface ground is an extra cost option at some suppliers.

Removing the mill scale during your finishing processes can leave you with a significant difference in thickness of your bar stock. They oversize it to make sure you actually get the 3/32" you paid for. It's cheaper for them than to surface grind the stock prior to sale. In fact getting the bar stock surface ground is an extra cost option at some suppliers.

That is the correct answer.

Personally, I think it is worth the extra cost to surface grind barstock to remove the mill scale finish. I am not excessively OCD, but seeing the mill scale finish on a finished handmade knife seriously detracts from the aesthetics and negatively effects my desire to buy it. Since Chris hammer textures all his flats, this is a moot point aesthetically. Increased weight is still a factor with mill finished (i.e. thicker) steel.

Phil

Thank you for chiming in guy's, let me add to it and give my reasoning. The bar of steel is oversized correct, all bars of steel are made this way, some suppliers offer bars surface ground to the exact thickness. This also in almost all cases doubles the cost of the steel. The mill scale is not desirable too me either, so after machining and before hammer texturing I hand rub the flats to remove any remaining mill scale left on the blade.I guess you could say I surface grind by hand with sand paper. I still end up with a slightly oversized blade with no mill scale. I always measure the exact thickness of any given knife when selling it so there is no guessing what the thickness is. I would be happy to answer any more questions or explain in futher about this.

Last edited:
Back