Working life of S.A.K s and Leathermans?

Working life of S.A.K s and Leathermans? Any experience?
Say a S.A.K lasts me 10 years with everyday use,
I am 40, so I will only need to purchase 3 or 4 in my lifetime.
So it is important to buy the correct knife/ tool for the optimum purchase.
Justin.

Yeah, something like that. Better buy them now so they dont discontinue them! LOL. I know 10 years was just theoretical. A knife should last much longer under normal use.

guy g said:
Better buy them now so they dont discontinue them!

;)
Hello Guy,
I bought another 2 Leatherman sideclips as reserve/present in a sale.
I have already a Wave; a Spartan and a huntsman.
I buy them usually on a good deal.
The point of the thread is provocative…

It depends on use of course, if you don´t use it hard it could last a lifetime, if you sharpen it in a grinder like some people I know it won´t last long. I have broken plastic scales, have worn down files and have loosen blades from prying with the screwdriver.

So I have learned to fix scales and make new ones and I like alox, I now carry a separate file and try not to abuse by prying, the Huntsman is my most commonly carried SAK, but I have many others.

I have never had a problem with my leatherman original or similar multitools, I know someone who once broke a Gerber Legend, but he liked it so much that he got another one.

Luis

I have a SAK (Victorinox) that I got in Italy in 1983 - lost the toothpick and the scales are heavily scuffed but otherwise, it is in great shape.

I only use a Sharpmaker for sharpening, so it hasn't lost very much metal from the edge.

I've heard SAKs lasting more than 25 years, read it on Victorinox's pamphlet that you can download from their site.

My Swisschamp is about 8 years old. The corkscrew has suffered the most. There's quite a bit of wobble there. I'm sure I can send it in to get fixed anytime though.

As for the blades, like Architect mentionned, the Sharpmaker removes so little metal that I doubt I'll ever wear them out. I fully expect mine to last me a lifetime.

Guy

My personal experience is that, in the light manufacturing and sporting use world. Daily use of both where appropriate, a SAK will outlast at least two Leatherman Supertools.

The Leatherman's seem to have soft, poorly hardened "tools".

The SAK has a better more durable file.

The wood saw is outstanding and the metal saw actually works.

Supertools lasted about 3 years each before they became too dull (file), broken or deformed to use.

After 8 years, my swiss Champ could use a new scissors spring, a new toothpick and new scales.

Just my experience.

Regards,
Gary

I'd think about a Victorinox SAK for long term use. I say this because I had, and still have, a Swisschamp, since about ,92. I took it everyehere. The thing had been in below zero to 100+ temperatures, been thrown, dropped, beaten, corrosives dropped on it and used for jobs that were even a bit much even for a Leatherman. In the first 4 years uf use, I never oiled or cleaned it. After all that time, it only needed a proper sharpening (as my early techniques changed the blade angle), lube, and one or the scales were loose. I sent it back to Victorinox for maintenance and they just sent me a new one. Leatherman's are great but they are designed for heavier jobs and their tools are more prone to breaking and popping out due to their length. Hence, I see Leatherman's with a shorter life than a SAK. If anything, buy one of both and try each out for a while. The one that doesn't make the cut can be sold, lowering your overall cost. Hope this helps.

When I was carrying only a SAK it would last about 8 years. The problem was that I liked myt knife verrrry sharp and because of the relatively soft steel in the knife blade I would have to sharpen them at least once a week. Consequently after about 5 years the blade would begin to look like a modified wharncliff rather than a spear point. I still love my SAK's but I have learned to carry another folder as well.

Hateman said:
“Leatherman's have shorter life than a SAK. If anything, buy one of both and try each out for a while.”

Good advice, I have actually bought both and today I carried both a Victorinox Huntsman and a Leatherman sideclip ( I think they compliment each other & sometimes both are needed together). Leatherman are great pliers with tools, Victorinox are great knives with tools.

I have a diamond file on order for my birthday to sharpen the knives/tools where ever I am.

I suppose the life of the tool depends basically how it is used or abused and how much of each.
It is great that both Leatherman and Victorinox have such generous guarantees.

Thanks for all the replies about Leatherman and Victorinox expected life.
Justin :)

Back