...Working on Some Bushcraft Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
These are made from Aldo's legendary 1084fg steel!

Here's some random info...

.140" 1084fg tempered to 60-61 RC for great edge holding, toughness and ease of sharpening

Chisel grind! great for woodwork or general use... these are all Scandi grind as well (besides the top one)

G10 scales

Micarta or Titanium center pins

Flared stainless steel tube for the best of looks and toughness

Available soon!

Grinding the scales is next...

Daniel, you had better hide that orange one . . . . Wilson would buy it "as is" . . . . :D :D
Be safe.

Daniel, you had better hide that orange one . . . . Wilson would buy it "as is" . . . . :D :D
Be safe.

:D I'd like to see what he would do with it! I know it would be cool.

Orange/Black Layered on that one...

Lol I got a comment on a pic like that... said the handles looked rough! I think I better work on them some more! :D

Daniel! Yer all over the place!!
cool...

Yes I am! I had been meaning to make these for a while, I want them out while it is summertime. ...maybe more in the Fall too.

Today I was back on the folders while these cure, my thumbs are literally worn through.... ouch!

I can't wait to shape the scales on these, the micarta and Ti pins should be pretty fun...

G10 lineup!

MCAM 3 Color Camo
Orange/Black layers
Neon Green
Black/Dark Red
Black
Jade

Be safe.

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! I would really need to get a better sander to do it justice. Plus I don't think it would come out as nice a Daniel's.

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! I would really need to get a better sander to do it justice. Plus I don't think it would come out as nice a Daniel's.

Thanks for the kind words!

Looking good ! ;) I see one in my future, I hope !

These will be available soon! I'm going to contact someone who ordered some a ways back an go from there.

And I think I have just found my go-to thread to follow :) Love your work Daniel.

Thanks! Much appreciated too!

Man what a sweet knife. I want the jade :) please

Thanks! The Jade G10 is going to be awesome! I just used up the last of my sheet and will be ordering more soon.

Mmmm, I love me some 1084!

Lookin good!

-X

Thanks! As you know 1084 is great steel!

The small amount of alloying really pushes it far without getting a large carbide formation. It is also right at the point of equilibrium or eutectoid steel...

lol from Wikipidea... I have heard from .76%-.90% with .84% being the most agreed upon... this is why 1084 is ideal in many ways

"The eutectoid composition of austenite is approximately 0.76% carbon; steel with less carbon content will contain a corresponding proportion of relatively pure ferrite crystallites that do not participate in the eutectoid reaction and cannot transform into pearlite. Likewise steels with higher carbon contents will form cementite before reaching the eutectoid point."

This is the one with the different grind...

I just did a ton of hand sanding on the scales and soaked the knife in food grade mineral oil, it needs to be sharpened and will be ready to go!

The tubes are satin polished on the inside, it took a while but I think it looks cool. I'm very happy with the black micarta rod too... to me it sets off the MCAM!

"The eutectoid composition of austenite is approximately 0.76% carbon; steel with less carbon content will contain a corresponding proportion of relatively pure ferrite crystallites that do not participate in the eutectoid reaction and cannot transform into pearlite. Likewise steels with higher carbon contents will form cementite before reaching the eutectoid point."

" . . . . so this basically means the stuff gets pretty sharp & holds an edge . . . . . right ??? " ;) ;)
And just as I am thinking this gun guy is starting to learn about knife making, I read something like this . . . . :D
Good looking knives Daniel, definitely let us know when and if some of these will be for sale " to the general public " . . . . .:thumbup:
Be safe.

Wow! I saw the pic with them and the unground handles and thought "eh..." Then I saw that handle grind! Impressive work Daniel!

Hi doods.
Daniel- Can you use a padded tape for your thumbs?
O, yer getting some dough $$ from me this week. :)

Do you flare out the tubes to act as a rivet? Or Do you use epoxy as well as flare them out?

Nice!
In hand pic?

Thanks! Soon on the pics, I just finished the knives a moment ago and will be working on sheaths this afternoon.

[/B][/I]
" . . . . so this basically means the stuff gets pretty sharp & holds an edge . . . . . right ??? " ;) ;)
And just as I am thinking this gun guy is starting to learn about knife making, I read something like this . . . . :D
Good looking knives Daniel, definitely let us know when and if some of these will be for sale " to the general public " . . . . .:thumbup:
Be safe.

That's right! Well balanced would be a good way to put it.

Thanks too! I'll have them up ASAP.

Sick Daniel!

Much appreciated!

Wow! I saw the pic with them and the unground handles and thought "eh..." Then I saw that handle grind! Impressive work Daniel!

Thanks! I really spend a lot of time on the scales so that is great to hear.

Hi doods.
Daniel- Can you use a padded tape for your thumbs?
O, yer getting some dough $$ from me this week. :)

I have tried grinding tape, it is good stuff. I'm not really doing anything in particular to wear away my fingers though,it is just happening, lol.

I think it looks fantastic!:thumbup:

Thanks! More to come soon...

Do you flare out the tubes to act as a rivet? Or Do you use epoxy as well as flare them out?

Yes that is correct, tube as a rivet and everything gets epoxied.

I like a mechanical bond on top of the chemical bond, it makes for a strong handle. The handle also has small holes drilled through the tang which get filled with epoxy and act as "glue rivets."

Back