How To Worksharp Ken Onion w/ Blade Grinding Attachment Stropping and Polishing Belt Help

I've got the Worksharp Ken Onion w/ Blade Grinding Attachment and am looking for a little advice on using the Stropping and Polishing Belt.

The first time I used it, it seemed to make the knives crazy sharp. Hairs were flying off the back of my hand and I proceeded to shave half of my thigh haha.

After using the knives to process meat, they needed to be touched up again. Using the belts didn't seem to restore the edge and I ended up going back to my smoothest abrasive sharpening belt. I'm processing a lot of meat and seem to have the best results restoring the edge with the finest abrasive belt.

Any tips and tricks for getting these belts to work well? I don't know much about how they should be used. I'm just adding more polishing compound and running the blade over for a few passes.

I'm kind of disappointed in them. The edge of the belt is constantly fraying and coming apart. I'm tempted to just try a leather strop.

I appreciate any guidance! Thanks!

Back