Worth it?

I am thinking about starting out to sell kydex sheaths It will cost me about $400 including kydex sheet prices is it worth it? Also How do you cut it?

Last edited:
You might want to do a little more in depth research on the "how to" part of making Kydex sheaths, before you start a business making them. Read a few in depth tutorials etc.. Google is your friend. Also, before you mention selling, you might want to upgrade your membership here to the proper level.

Good luck with your plans!

Paul

You might want to do a little more in depth research on the "how to" part of making Kydex sheaths, before you start a business making them. Read a few in depth tutorials etc.. Google is your friend. Also, before you mention selling, you might want to upgrade your membership here to the proper level.

Good luck with your plans!

Paul
I know how to do it just not cut it cleanly with out power tools. I am not so big on the power tools. And for the upgrading Ill wait till I know if I want to or not. But, Thank you.

Have you made one before? If not, I'd suggest buying a small piece before dropping $400 on materials and going into business. It's easy to do, but takes a lot of practice to do well.

For cutting, a hacksaw or coping saw. Tin snips are usable, but not unless you have a powered sander. For drill bits, a regular brad point is fine. I use twist bits myself without issue.

Have you made one before? If not, I'd suggest buying a small piece before dropping $400 on materials and going into business. It's easy to do, but takes a lot of practice to do well.

For cutting, a hacksaw or coping saw. Tin snips are usable, but not unless you have a powered sander. For drill bits, a regular brad point is fine. I use twist bits myself without issue.
Thank you. For sanding This came to mind. http://www.micromark.com/Allwin-Benchtop-Mini-Disk-and-Belt-Sander,9620.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase Well I know how to do the knife just not the extras like belt clips.

Last edited:
Worth it ? Depends, if you enjoy engineering and the ability to create one of a kind designs, not to mention the feeling of accomplishment when finished.
Not sure how much experience you have ? You mention that you know how to do it but have you done it ? All knives are not created equal and if you are going to create a business doing it then eventually you will come across one that makes you stand back and scratch your head, I have a box full of head scratchers that didn't go my way but the challenge is part of the allure for me.
Don't be afraid to experiment with new designs, for example, Kiah's Ax sheath design is innovative and well thought out and would have been one of those scratch my head moments. In the end for me the answer is yes it's worth it and yes it is easy but not as easy as it looks.
Good Luck and God Bless.

Back