Would any of you guys be able to recommend a sewing machine?

More moeny but look really hard at the Cobra 4. On my wish list. I use a Ferdco Babby Bull but am wanting to get the Cobra 4. We have the Cobra 18 for lighter stuff and its an amazing machine.

It's a nice machine Dave but too nice for me and my hobby! I might be better off trying to find something second hand or stick to hand stitching

The Tippman Boss is a really good little first machine. That's the way I started, but it won't be long until you decide to move up to motorized machines, so logic says, why not start out with a good motorized machine.?? New or used???Either, IF the used machine is functioning perfectly and in otherwise good condition, but the price of a really good used machine and the brand new Cobra 4 (which would be and IS my choice) are generally not that far apart.

As a hobbyist, I understand your reluctance to spend a lot, but if you do go on and your hobby expands beyond your belief, then the money will have been well spent.

I could not even guess how many times my machines have paid for themselves.

Edit to add: Occasionally the guys at Leather Machine Company (Cobra) have some nice trade in machines that they have tuned up, so you might check there for used.

Paul

Thanks Paul , I'll look into it. What should I look for in a machine? Is there certain traits and quality's I want or want to stay away from? what should I look for in a second hand machine? certain things that are primed to failure maybe?

Thanks

Grumpy

1) Walking Foot can't tell ya how much better that is then dog feed. 2) Presser foot lifts high enough to handle sheath work easily (5/8" to 3/4"). I would want size 207 thread to be in the middle of what it handles. Its really true though. There are a lot of machines out there for about the same money as the Tippman. My Ferdco runs about $1500. Doesn't have the walking foot and a pretty steep learning curve but its been a tough, reliable sewing son of a gun.

Back