would shapton stones be good for 3V?

hey guys, just got my bushcraft knife, and as some of you know, i am trying to find out as much as i can to buy some real nice new stones to use. i hope i am not being a pain in the anus, but have been doing a lot of research, and still have some questions for you guys. please bare with me. I know that many of you say diamond stones like DMT are the best, and they last for many years, but something about them just seem to me to be more about speed, and not anything like the way that some of you say is relaxing or self fulfilling like using water stones. would shapton glass stones be a good choice then for me? anything bad about these other than cost? is it hard to flatten these, i heard they need to be flattened? if dmt is the only way to go, especially for 3V, then i will, but would really love to have some sort of nice and relaxing experience while sharpening also. plus, it seems it would be more fun if it were more of a "meditative" experience. thanks again guys for all of your patience. i would hate to buy some expensive stones, then decide that there is something better that i should have bought instead. it seems to me that shaptons are right in the middle of fast, AND fun. does this sound right to anyone? thanks for the help, and again, all of your patience with me.

You might also try asking over on the "Maintenace, Tinkering..." forum. There is a lot of sharpening expertise there.

I'd recommend diamond hones on it personally.

Stones require a lot of patience but they'll work. Just takes a lot longer unless you have an Edge Pro.

STR

i did, but wanted to hear your guys opinions too. like i said, i am about to dish out a couple bucks for a new set of stones, and don't wanna get the wrong ones. thanks for any advice.

david

Back