Would you call this lazy?

I6jdbyd

Anybody thought of or tried this? Just thought of it and figured it would save time at camp

Lazy? No way.

That's called prepared where I come from. As long as there is a full can too

Though Copenhagen would be better as the cardboard would burn too;)

One of the worst camping trips I was ever on was saved by prepping a fire in a one gallon ice cream bucket. All the tinder, and kindling all nice and dry. Good thing too, by the time I thought to light the fire, the hypothermia was pretty bad. So is a snuff can of fire cheating? not at all. Just keep in mind that magnesium shavings will oxidize over time, so be sure to keep track of it, its not a set and forget solution. cheating is if you use that in competition.

Lazy? No way.

That's called prepared where I come from. As long as there is a full can too

Though Copenhagen would be better as the cardboard would burn too;)
Always a couple full cans. I was thinking maybe I should get some cope and use their cans since they are cardboard but griz is cheaper here.

One of the worst camping trips I was ever on was saved by prepping a fire in a one gallon ice cream bucket. All the tinder, and kindling all nice and dry. Good thing too, by the time I thought to light the fire, the hypothermia was pretty bad. So is a snuff can of fire cheating? not at all. Just keep in mind that magnesium shavings will oxidize over time, so be sure to keep track of it, its not a set and forget solution. cheating is if you use that in competition.
Wow GG that sounds like it was no fun. Everyone around me looked at me like I was crazy. Then of course came the "what? You can't count on yourself to make a fire when it's needed? Your just lazy" comments. I really didn't care because this to me is more of a possible life saver by having the mag and dry tinder at the ready plus even if the mag oxidizes I have small enough curls my flint can light it off

Looks fairly sensible to me. If I'm trying to start a fire, the end goal is fire. I'll just as happily get there with accelerant and a Bic as I will with feathersticks and a ferro rod. Full disclosure, I often try to get a fire going without any tricks or shortcuts, but that's because my fire skills are not that great and I want to improve them, but I'd cheerfully use a blowtorch without guilt or trepidation if all I wanted was a fire.

I6jdbyd

Anybody thought of or tried this? Just thought of it and figured it would save time at camp

I6jdbyd.jpg

I don't know why I have problems posting pics from imgur sometimes

Lazy? Nah, good thinking - YES! It's good preparation and/or convenience for fire starting.

The tobacco package is a little on the large size for me, but for you it's could well be perfect. Looks like you've some good tinder in there as well.

Lazy? Nah, good thinking - YES! It's good preparation and/or convenience for fire starting.

The tobacco package is a little on the large size for me, but for you it's could well be perfect. Looks like you've some good tinder in there as well.

Packing a few light alternative tenders is never a bad idea. Wax paper and birch bark are some other alternatives. I guess we all would chose something a bit different depending on availability and experience. Dryer lint and fatwood slivers or sawdust... heck I keep a mini-Bic lighter stashed. I would consider chaga fungus if it were available too. Or something as mundane as a piece of brown paper bag or spare toilet paper.

Which this post reminds me.. I just saved a small handful of Altoids tins found in a recent repo car. I need to fill one and tape or band it for my canoe dry box. I still have some birch bark a friend in Minnesotah sent me. It doesn't grow either here or where I moved from in Tennessee.

Oh... and the duct tape will keep tender from blowing away and burns well too once ignited. Lazy? Nah. Going out ill-prepared for firestarting is lazy IMHO. Even if the mini-kit is reserved for those rare times when usual means of starting a fire just don't work and you need a fire NOW!

So is that some sort of prepackaged tinder that you buy?
Nah I had some leftover mahogany from a carving I did. I had just finished honing all my knives and decided which one i felt did the best job at feathersticks or curlies or whatever you wanna call it. I call it curly tinder. I also dip tobacco and have empty cans on hand at all times. Put that along with some curly mag shavings and instant fire bundle. Couple wraps of tape and it's watertight. Throw a couple in the camp bag along with a ferro rod and you can have a fire immediately as needed. Figured it would be an awesome accessory on a fishing trip where you wanna eat right away too

Oab4pGN.jpg

8n66syu.jpg

a3gOQJa.jpg

I also have this little dohickey my mom got me for christmas. It has a cotton wad in the bottom, put a bit of fluid in it and the cotton on the "match" soaks some up and when struck on the ferro on the side, presto, instant fire. Neat little gimmick that actually has been better than I ever imagined. Keep the o - ring slicked with some Vaseline and don't tighten it to much and your golden.

Prepared for what?

Is it that hard for some to make fire?

Depends on the conditions.

You get caught out in really wet and cold weather, tired and not at 100%, that prepared dry tinder could save your life.

I would say there are better emergency tinder materials out there. Esbit tablets or waterproof flares for example. Those shavings can get wet and murphy's law has a habit of proving itself at the worst possible time.

Back