• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Would You Like a Regrind

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been offering regrinds for a few months now. I offer flat belt finished regrinds on most any knife you want altered. I have done custom work on both production and custom knives. I always forget to take pictures of the finished knife, but here are 2 knives I did this past weekend.

An Emerson Horseman that I thinned the edge, brought the shoulders up higher and removed the thumb ramp and Wave.
20140407_135717.jpg

This Spyderco H1 was brought to a zero edge and then the final bevel was applied. This knife edge is at .006" at the shoulder behind the edge.
20140407_135525.jpg

Regrinds start at $45 plus return shipping for standard blades 3.75" and under. Longer blades, premium blade steels, and additional custom work will increase the price.
My turn around time for regrinds has been averaging 2 weeks.

If you are interested please email me at bigchriscustomknives@gmail.com

Chris, I gotta hit you up soon (I asked earlier this year over the green forum :)). Will you be considering doing hollow grinds and perhaps stonewashing in the future? I love hollow grinds for some knives.

those thin edges are the bee's knees - love them.

I am wanting to get me a 10" wheel to start offering hollow grinds, but it will likely be after Blade Show when I make that purchase.
I am working on a stonewashing set-up as well, but need to get a new better cutting media. I am not happy with the results I am getting so far.
Short answer to your questions is yes, in the near future.

Hey Chris, I picked up the Emerson this past weekend and love it. This is now by far one of the sharpest knives I own. Thank you.

DSC00125_zps4b03aff3.jpg

DSC00127_zpsac82186d.jpg

Big Chris puts some of the sharpest edges I have seen on knives. don't hesitate to get with him for this service.

Here are 2 S110V Spydercos I reground to around .006" behind the edge.

Forum Native

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Manix2

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

These pictures are after the edge was sharpened to 30 degrees inclusive.

Here are some pics of a Spyderco Southard I just finished.
Reground to just under .010" behind the edge and thinned the spine from .155" to .115" while maintaining the distal taper.

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

I'm really contemplating having you put a full flat grind on my yojimbo 2

I'm really contemplating having you put a full flat grind on my yojimbo 2

I can get it done for you.
I have been asked a couple times to regrind one, but no one has sent one to me yet.

Here are some pics of a Spyderco Southard I just finished.
Reground to just under .010" behind the edge and thinned the spine from .155" to .115" while maintaining the distal taper.

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

Thanks Chris! Got the knife last night, and it is in my pocket right now. Very nice work, I haven't used it yet but am very happy with how it turned out. I don't know if you noticed, but it is lighter feeling to me. You removed a lot of steel and it should be a big improvement.

nccole,
It was my pleasure. There should be a definite difference in performance. I hope that it serves you well.

I shredded some cardboard with it. Very nice. Cut so cleanly with no binding and no edge damage to the naked eye.

These looks great! I'll keep you in mind when I get ready to have some knives thinned out!

can you put a nightmare grind on a knife? really want to have one done

It is possible that I could. I have not done anything like that before, and honestly have no interest in it.

Did a Variable Geometry Regrind on a Hinderer this morning.
It turned out pretty good, but it is a real pain to execute.
I will now start to offer this on any knife that is not a full flat grind.
This Hinderer started out as a Spanto Grind and was turned into this:

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

This type of grind will be a $20 up-charge from the standard regrind fee.

Last edited:
Can you do a compound grind on a tanto blade? Something like the new spyderco? I've got a project in mind

Back