Wow.....44ot

E-bays whole feedback system is a joke anyway because if a buyer leaves negative for a bad seller he is sure to get negative in return. I call it feedback hostage, sellers get their money within seconds after an auction yet do not leave feedback until it is received. Even if you don't leave feedback it is counted as a positive for the seller. When you look at all feedback received they may have a number in green of 400 but below that there is the total number of transactions which may be double that number, so at least half the people on the other side of the transaction did not leave feedback for some reason. The ones I hate the most are the ones who intentionally misrepresent an item then act like they are doing you a favor buy offering to take the thing back, minus shipping of course, which is inflated to begin with so they still come out on top. So 100% positive does not mean you aren't going to get ripped off.
Just my $.02 , Rick

My only negative feedback is from a ripoff artist selling counterfeit knives. Anyone who knows how to read can see the negatives he's left me are lame, but how many people actually go and read them! So I'll never have 100% because of some lying crud! I got some of the money back (1 out of 2) from ebay, but it was a long painful process. They make it intentionally difficult, and despite evidence from Bernie Levine, ebay wouldn't agree that one of them was counterfeit; some nerd that's probably never seen a knife makes the decisions!!

Don't you have to make popping noises when you talk Swahili? :) Poor Orvet came so close until those final moments, and he's probably the one who really needs it for an actual collection filler. Lately I find that if I'm not there bidding at the moment the auction ends, I don't stand a chance of winning. I placed a high bid on a nice custom trapper yesterday a half hour before the auction ended, went to work, and of course lost by a couple of bucks.
Eric

Eric,
How did you know? I have been looking for a 44OT for a long time. It is one of the few regular production Old Timers that I don't have.

The good thing about an auction like this is that it usually brings others knives out of the woodwork. I am bidding on another one now. We will see how that goes. This is the second 44OT I have seen in the last four to six months. It's funny how when one sells for a lot of money, other sellers to dig out their knives of the same model and put them up for auction. Hopefully, several other 44OTs will be up for auction soon and the price will drop back down under $100. I knew when I saw that first auction that it would go for over $100 because it had been several months since a 44OT was on eBay. But I was not willing to pay $150 for it.

Dale

I know what you mean Orvet. There's a few models that I'm missing also, and I'd be willing to pay a certain % premium over the original m.s.r.p. to aquire them. But $150? I think for the price I'd rather have a nice custom from the "For Sale By Maker" section. :)

I haven't been agressively buying Old Timers lately. But if I do get interested again, I don't think I'll be chasing the rare models. Instead, there's a lot of growth potential in my collection by accumulating the more common models (34OT, 108OT, etc.) in the different tang stamps (Schrade/Walden, Schrade+, etc.).

Best Wishes,
-Bob

G'Day Upstream, re your post a seller /buyer might have 800 transactions and only 400 positives is because you never get a new positive for additional business with someone you have already received a positive for. You get the transaction recorded but no increase in positive score which is the way it should be as you could supposedly build up 100 score simply by dealing with one accomplice. Hoo Roo

Well G'Day from above, I won't bother to argue that point, if it wasn't for my love of Schrade knives I wouldn't have any use for E-bay. I used to hate it when every time I would Goggle something I would come up with a bunch of links to E-bay auctions. But hay, it looks like it's here to stay. Rick

Dale,
I had that one on my watch list and noticed your handle in the bids. I figured it would go pretty high but not that much. It is a very cyclical market though, definitely one that requires some patience. ( I have to be the first to admit that it's damned hard to practice what I preach!).
Waynorth,
I actually asked Bernie Levine about a certain individuals knives whom I think you're familiar with. I made the mistake of saying that I thought they looked pretty good (to my untrained eye) and boy did I get an earful!! He even mentioned that I should look up good in the dictionary! What the hell, I got a good laugh out of it and learned a bunch of things about what to look for. I'm actually kind of scared about what I might have (or think I have ) in my collection now. I've got a few cleaned knives, but they don't look to have been overdone, nor do they look to have been scavenged, but you never know.
Eric (Think I'll stick to the well aged vintage look on pre-1940's knives)

Bernard has his opinion & I know some collectors don't like "cleaned" knives.

IMHO, that is up to the indivigal collector. I happen to collect TL-29s (electrician knives). Some of them are so covered with tar or other crud that I can buy them for little more than the shipping. Once I have cleaned them they are a nice edition to my (or most people's) collection.

I used to collect high grade Tobacco pipes, (Dunhill, GBD, Comoy, ect) There are purests in any field of collection, but if it doesn't make me happy what is the point in collecting it?

Just my $.02,
Dale

Hello Gents,

I was the unluck sucker that was "sniped" at the last second. I had my mind set on that knife because is was (is) one of the only factory models that I do not have. I was willing to pay that high price to get it over with. My wife has had enough of me surfing the net collecting knives. Some of your opinions are accurate as to why this happened. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to reply in person.

Steve

Raccajr,
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, I sure know that feeling, along with the feeling of having a wife fed up with the collecting (although I admit it's well deserved). I'm sure you'll get it yet, folks on this forum are neighborly enough to scout knives and send e-mails to you when found. They're a great bunch. that was one lucky sniper to have nabbed a 44 and a 106 in the same week!
Good luck to you, let us know when you get one.
Eric

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I had both in my sites. Oh well, that the sport of it. I'll keep looking. Once I get the display case ready, I'll share here. It's all about the folders.

Back