WPC presents the 3rd annual Norcal Seamen Slinger Extravaganza

Now I know you would fit right in. There has been a bit of discussion. One friend was supposed to be working on it. There is a chance if I get everything else in place I will have time. Any catch phrase suggestions. Maybe "I got wet at the Seamen Slinger" or "Seamen slingers get more (pirate treasure)" Maybe "I could eat abalone all day long" or "I went down deep to eat the abalone". So many possibilities. That is even touching on subject of bottom time, how long one can stay under water.

What size shirt do you wear? If I get them done Ill send you one.

Matt
Matt, Matt, Matt. That is the best you could come up with? Forgive my fellow Viceroy, dear brethren. He is usually much more verbally inventive.
I was thinking something along the lines of, "I speared some booty at Seamen Slingers." or, "delete, delete, backspace". Sorry I can't post what I was thinking here. I was reprimanded once already. Regardless, T-shirts are a priority. Family friendly, too. A little double entendre never hurt anyone. Now pardon me, I have to get my spear gun and pole spear lubed up for protection and flawless functioning. I just got a slip tip for my pole spear. It is a thing of beauty.

And this is coming from a guy whose screen name is Hung Solo? :) It is a spearfishing event, we sling spears in the sea. In truth it keeps away the uptight and invokes some humor and humility in the new comers. The ocean here is too dangerous if you dont have some humor and humility. If you take yourself too seriously and are too rigid the ocean here can break you. If a person cant laugh at themself and move passed difficulties they will have a lot of trouble. I think 6 or 7 people have died since april abalone diving. That is not even bringing the sharks into it. So calling it the Seamen Slinger weeds out some potential problems. Of course, anyone named Hung Solo will always be welcome.

Oh and once you see an abalone in person the term "eating abalone" has a double meaning. I cant really say more because I got a warning for saying the "pirate treasure" would be bigger this year.

Matt

i really think it is awesome what you guys are doing. the name is catchy. i will deff give you that one.

Looks like it's going to be a good time. I'll be on my annual motorcycle trip and in that area, so I'll roll in for a few hours one evening and say hello.

"I pounded my abalone four days in a row at the TASSE and all I got was this stinky t-shirt!" I won't mention the wetsuit lube that needs to be applied generously...and vigorously...
The ocean has been looking fine lately and the anticipation is nearly too much. The sea is definitely a place to maintain humility and checks you any time she is tested. But the beauty that lies therein, the bounty of delicous meat that is held in its midst and the adventure she brings each and every time I embark is truely a gift of life. Just fried up the last of the black rockfish from the last outing for fish tacos...I need to fill the freezer again pronto!

Oh, and only when I can fill my stringer of fish like you guys do will I feel close to being an accomplished spearo. Then again I'm handicapped by diving around and geeking out on the underwater scenery...until the prey comes into view of course!

Got my suit rental worked out :thumbup: Now all I need is a Fishing License and Abalone Card.

Alright 1 final adjustment. The SSE III will now be held at MacKerricher State Park just north of Ft Bragg in Mendocino County. Don't fret the grass is greener in Mendo. After a month of trying to deal with Sonoma county and getting the run around trying to reserve a sub standard camping spot because the state had shut down the Reef campground, it was decided that Mendo was the way to go. Besides the grass being greener, the ocean is way more pristine, the abalone are bigger, the fish are bigger and the coast line more dramatic. There are abundant tide pools and sprawling sand dune beaches. There are also two dive shops within 15 minutes so those needing rental gear will have it a lot easier. While I love Ft Ross and the Reef campground it was chosen mainly for its central location. The Reef campground is a magically beautiful place but the diving in Sonoma doesnt really compare to the diving in Mendo. So if you are driving from down south you might have a little longer haul but you will get a chance to experience California's Coast in its most raw and beautiful. Besides Mendocino county is waaaaaaaaaay more pirate than Sonoma.
Here is the basic info
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=436

Here are some personal photos from the park.
1114101301b.jpg

1114101446b.jpg

1114101447.jpg

100_0032.jpg

100_0036.jpg

100_0041.jpg

100_0044.jpg

Some images from google.
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=499

MacKerricher State Park is also about a 5 minute drive from the intergalacticly famous Glass Beach, where the beach is covered in tumbled sea glass.
1114101448.jpg

Hope this doesnt effect anyone's plans to much. Everyone who is attending who has dove Mendo, is in favor of the change. Once you experience the waters here I am sure you will find the extra effort worth while. You will get to dive my dive spots. For example......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW6vfcU598Q

We should be camped around campsite #20 and camping will be $20 dollars a car. There is free day use so feel free to stop by.

Matt

Hmmm.... it is a bit farther. I don't know if I can make it out that far for a weekend trip. I'm already stretching myself a bit thin with trips this month as it is....

Hmmm.... it is a bit farther. I don't know if I can make it out that far for a weekend trip. I'm already stretching myself a bit thin with trips this month as it is....
Get up here, you won't be disappointed until you have to leave!

I want to :). The check engine light came on in our Jeep yesterday (great timing with a trip to Yosemite coming up this weeekend :rolleyes::grumpy:), and the code hints that it might be a small fix, but who knows. I'm just hoping we can get it fixed in time for the Yosemite trip. If it's fixed, I should be able to make it up to Mendo.

ETA: Barring loss of a vehicle, I'll be there :thumbup: Stoked! :)

Last edited:
Half of my family lives in Fort Bragg, and I spent a bunch of time at MacKerricher as a kid. Worth going for the area alone. I'll drop by at least one night. The ocean kinda freaks me out but it makes good food.

Clif bar connection. The official energy snack of the Seamen Slinger Extravaganza. For the stamina you'll need!
100_0066.jpg

Matt

We have the opportunity to do a boat dive on Wed, but you will have to be there by mid morning. Let me know who is in and what time you will be there. It will be a short ride out into Noyo harbor. Last time we shot 3 lingcod to 38" with easy limits of abalone.

For those coming from the south it is best to take 101 north to Hwy 20west in Willits. Then hwy 20 to Hwy 1 north. Mapquest will send you up hwy 128 out of Cloverdale which is a long windy road. Also don't speed thru Hopland, it drops to 55 and is a notorious speed trap.

Matt

Matt, I left you a voicemail :thumbup:

Can I borrow the following from anyone?

XL wetsuit
XL Hood (McHellfire, if offer's still open?)
11 booties
M gloves

Don't think I can swing the total cost (fishing license, abalone card, gear rental, gas) after our jeep repairs and a trip this past weekend. Not having to pay for gear rental should make it more doable.

I should be getting my first Fiddleback this month... so I can't even dip into my knife fund this time :grumpy:

Last edited:
HM, I have an extra XXL that is a few years old so it has shrunk a bit. If you wear a t shirt or rash gaurd you should be fine in it. I also have booties and fins that are your size. I even have an extra snorkel if you need it. Show up, we will get you outfitted!

Awesome :) I've got fins, mask, snorkel, and belt w/ some weight (probably needs to be dialed in again, especially with wetsuit). Today's the last day I can cancel the rental reservation, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. What kind of oil can I contribute for cooking?

Mano, glad you are gonna make it. If something happens with the dive gear there are two dive shops within 15 min. of campsite. Any cooking oil and extra seasoned bread crumbs are always good. If you want pick up a abalone tenderizer. You will need it when you go back home.

Oh look what we have here!
100_0067.jpg

Soon to be released arrow cards. (Patent Pend.)
Stacks of them!

Matt

Back