Wrapping the handle of a bushcraft knife

I've read people use paracord or jute to wrap axe, hawk, or wooden knife handles then dip them in superglue or epoxy after first burning off the frayed strands when using jute. How comfortable is that on knives? Is it like a poor man's Micarta? I'd almost think the hardness of the glue or epoxy would create hot spots. Does it prevent the paracord or jute from absorbing liquids and having problems with bacteria?

The only alternatives I can think of are ranger bands or Plastic Dip.

Done right I find them comfortable and with good grip.
If you have a knife wrapped with cord & you like it sealing it in epoxy will only make it better.
Check videos for info on doing it yourself.I have used cheap clear epoxy before.
Remember you really can't remove the cord for other uses once done.

Of course. Once it's on there it's on there. Does the type of glue or epoxy used make an impact with how comfortable it is? Obviously, I have to make sure it's applied evenly and not use too much. Are there different types of jute that are better than others or just grab the first one I see at Home Depot?

I think for this at least I would use thicker jute about 1\8" or more. The epoxy I used was cheap only about $1 but very clear
Good luck. If you don't like it you can remove it & try again.

I'm going to buy a dowel at the hardware store and test a few sizes and epoxies out. The plan is to make them the same size as the area on my handle. It won't be exactly the same, but hopefully it will give me an idea of what I like.

I just took a look at Home Depot and there are a lot more choices than I initially thought. Has anyone had experience with any specific brands?

I can't recommend a brand. For your use any should work. You don't need high strength. You need clear epoxy and enough working time to work it in. So avoid the 5 minute quick set stuff.

I always thought the idea behind cord wraps was to have cordage available just in case. I prefer to carry my cordage separate. Saves having to re-wrap a handle or having to use a bare metal knife.

I can't recommend a brand. For your use any should work. You don't need high strength. You need clear epoxy and enough working time to work it in. So avoid the 5 minute quick set stuff.

Thank you. Most of the choices under $25 come in tubes and I thought it would be easier to have something I could mix in a cup and apply with a disposable brush. If I'm going to spend $40+ I'd rather just send it some place and have someone put custom Micarta handles on it.

My options so far are:
Loctite professional job size epoxy
Loctite Marine
Gorilla Epoxy

The reason for my hesitation is I found this old topic last night:

The best resins for wrapped handles are quality grade commercial resins. Hobby grade from the hardware store are just asking for sticky handles. Use West System or System Three resin and you will be much happier. For impregnating ito and cord wrap, they excel, IMHO. System Three clear coat is excellent. Regular West system 105 resin and 206 slow cure hardener is also good. The clear coat comes in a small bottle set which meets the small makers needs better than buying quart cans of West System. The West system slow cure 206 hardener allows for careful application without rushing and drips.

Whichever resin you use, the first thing to do is mix it well, and as john pointed out, don't work from the mixing pot. Use two cups...one to mix and one to work from. I use the 2oz. take-out cups used for sauces, and they are perfect for mixing knife handle batches of epoxy. Many knife suppliers sell them, and the Big-box stores have them by the case. A case will last you and a dozen makes a lifetime, but they are pretty cheap by the case.

Once mixed, application is where people go wrong the most. It only takes a small amount of resin to impregnate the fibers. I use a disposable flux brush from HF and apply the resin sparingly. You want it to wick into the wrap, but not coat it. Brush on a very thin coating, turning the knife as you coat. It should soak in and disappear. If the handle gets a "wet" look, it has way too much resin. Keep a piece of cotton cloth handy, and when you think the handle is just right as to the amount of resin, wrap it in the cloth and squeeze hard. Remove ( and discard) the cloth and let the handle dry. I turn it every few minutes, looking for any drips ( which I blot up with cotton cloth) as the resin sets. Once the work pot of resin is set, I let the handle cure for a day or two. The final result is a wrap that looks like plain cord or ito, but is rock hard. I cringe when I see some of the resin coated handles in photos that are completely coated with a layer of "plastic" looking resin.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...handle-and-picking-the-correct-epoxy-question

I don't want to end up with a sticky handle like he mentioned.

The best epoxies for this are going to be ones that are made for fiberglass not necessarily the thicker types that come in tubes as bonding agents for a wide variety of materials. even among fiberglass epoxies they are not all made equal. Stuff used for boat making like west systems are generally preferred. Dried color may also come into play for you.

Would the Ames True Temper 3010600 Epoxy Kit for Fiberglass Handles be close to what you are talking about and better than my previous choices? I saw it on Sears's site.

Ames Epoxy Kit For Fiberglass Handles 3010600 -Pack of 4
Especially designed for installation of fiberglass or wooden tool handles
Also suitable for other household uses

I have zero knives with wrapped handles. Never liked them. Uncomfortable, hard on the hand, and frankly, an affectation..

A properly done paracord wrap shouldn't need to be dipped or soaked. I've had a paracord wrapped knife tucked under my belt buckle and used heavily 6 days a week for the last couple years and it hasn't frayed, come apart, stained, smelled, or grown anything. I've sweat on it, gotten grease and dirt and who knows what else all over it. It's an extremely durable material for handles. Quite comfy in it's natural state, too. The epoxy soaked ones I've used were never very easy on my hands.

I have zero knives with wrapped handles. Never liked them. Uncomfortable, hard on the hand, and frankly, an affectation..

Strongly agree with this^^^^

Plus, the cord wrap is a mess to clean up if the knife has to used for something that makes a mess. Cleaning fish, camp cooking.

I have no interest any more in knives or other cutting tools being wrapped. For me, the common one was a machete and trying to improve the comfort during use. The only time I would consider wrapping one is to repair a handle.

Plus, the cord wrap is a mess to clean up if the knife has to used for something that makes a mess. Cleaning fish, camp cooking.

One I wrapped in epoxy soaked jute, first I epoxied leather to the tang.
Then I soaked the jute in the epoxy before wrapping it...had to wipe extra epoxy off it afterwards.

It cleans super easy, because the surface is completely water and bacteria proof. :thumbup:

The original jute wrap it had when I got it was too skinny, and had the epoxy put on after wrapping (by the maker).
It was easy to cut off with a knife for rewrapping.
My redone one will not come off easily at all.
It is solid, hard, and would need to be cut off with a cut-off wheel, and then a lot of prying. ;)

Back