Wuk question Scott

When you were figuring out the little up swing on it did you consider other blade shapes? Seems to me that Spyderco kind of had the same idea only instead of the traditional belly that you use, they have one continuous curve. I'd post a pic of the Delica but I'm on my phone and it doesn't like to copy links. Just wondered what your take was.

I just wanted a small amount of curve to make the blade more versitile. With it being a 1/4" up, it still allows you to use the blade as a traditional straight line wharncliffe for downward cutting.
I don't own any Spyderco knives or paid any attention to their designs to have noticed how they did theirs.
Scott

I've got a WUK, and it is a remarkably useful design. I wondered if I'd prefer a more traditional Wharncliffe design, but the slight curve at the tip works well (for edc-type use) while preserving the powerful tip of the Wharncliffe.

I love this knife.

I really like this idea I was just wondering how you arrived at the final design. Did you sit down and draw it out or just grind one out and hit pay dirt? I've been thinking real hard on a small wharny for edc but like you say that straight point has its drawbacks like using it for food prep on a cutting board. My izula is nice but I would like full scales, thinner blade, and wharny style. In use, are there certain tasks that you would rather have a straight one?

One reason I went with the wharncliffe was to use around the shop, cutting boxes open, slicing cardboard for templates and opening Copenhagan cans. :D Also for use at my other job cutting cardboard. What changed my thinking was when I used the first wharnie I made with a straight edge to gut and skin a deer. I figured if it had a small amount of curve, it could serve as an outdoor and urban use blade. The small 1/4" up curve does not keep you from using it as a typical wharnie.
Scott

I have 2 different wharncliffe blades by Scott. I use both of them on a regular basis. I use the WUK for work, the curve blade makes a huge difference it the way the knife handles. I cut leather and upholstery quite often. but I also use it to do some food prep. The WUK will be on my side for many years to come.

Back