wusthof classic ikon series

me and the girlfriend went to look at a new set of kitchen knives this weekend and the wusthof classic ikons seemed to fit her hand the best and since she does most of the cooking I told her I would let her pick out what we purchased. has anyone ever used any of these knives before and if so what were your thoughts on them, spending a lot of money on quality kitchen knives is a big investment for us so I really want to make sure that they are going to last and be worth the purchase, I appreciate all feedback thank you!

Wusthof makes decent knives. They are far better than the $15 made in china knives you see hanging at the end of the grocery store aisle. However they are also not the best knives on the market.

One of my biggest complaints with wusthof knives, and basically all german factory made knives is the steel they are made from(most german companies are using the same, or very similar steel). X50crmov15 stainless steel. By today's standards this steel is old technology. It has a low carbon content (.5%) and low amounts of other alloying elements. This translates to lower hardness and edge retention. There are many "modern" stainless steels which would be a huge improvement, 440c for example, which has been around since the 80's. It frustrates me that the german factories are using such outdated steel. That being said, X50crmov15 will hold a decent edge if it is cared for well and not dulled unnecessarily by cutting on hard surfaces etc. it just requires sharpening a little more frequently than a better steel would. Anyway, that was my steel rant.

Steel aside, a chef's knife is one that is used for long periods at a time; this means it needs to fit her hand well. While steel is a very important consideration when buying knives, feel in the hand is equally important (at least for a kitchen knife). If the wusthof classic ikon fits her the best, that would be a good argument to buy it. On the other hand, when held in the pinch grip, most chef's knives will fit the average hand well. Its sometimes just a matter of getting used to a new a handle shape.

My next piece of advice applies to whichever brand you settle on. You said you were looking at a set of knives? How many pieces are in the set? I strongly recommend against buying a large knife set. For the home kitchen, all you really need is three knives. Most important is the 8" chefs, this is used for the majority of all cutting in the kitchen. Next would be a paring knife for small tasks, and the third is a bread knife. Large sets often have a bunch of knives in them which you will never use. Instead of spending a lot of money on a large set, put the same money towards a few knives and buy quality. Spend your money on the 8" chef's and a paring knife, the bread knife need not be an expensive one.

In short: Buy quality not quantity. Try many knives before settling on a particular model, as a quality knife will last a very long time when properly cared for. Look for a knife made from a good steel. Buy a knife that fits her hand well.

hope that helps and wasn't to much information!

-mike

North Arm Knives

Last edited:
thanks mike for the reply and yes I guess I didn't write out my post as well as I thought, it being my Monday and all I still am not fully awake and in the groove yet haha. we decided to not buy a whole set and just settle with four and we found a place in Eugene that was willing to work with us and give us a 8" chef, a paring and a 7" santoku for under 250$ after deciding that those would be the knives used the most. she has loads of experience in the kitchen and has cooked for a really long time, I swear she enjoys cooking almost as I enjoy knives :p

I'm pretty sure Wusthof upgraded their handle material in the last couple of years. The older knives had a problem with the handles cracking. I've sent several back and they were replaced with what appears to be a different handle material. When I contacted Wusthof customer service they were well aware of the cracking problem and replaced them without hesitation. Even the handle on my bread knife cracked and it has never seen a dishwasher or been abused in any way.

so as a owner bushido, are you pleased with the quality and performance of these knifes in the kitchen?

Absolutely, the knives cut great and hold a decent edge. Other than a few cracked handles that were promptly replaced by Wusthof, I have zero complaints. The first time I used one of the steak knives it was so sharp I thought I was going to cut through the plate lol.

that's good to hear I think we are heading to pick ours up Monday morning I cant wait I might even get some pictures and a short review up sometime that evening thanks again to bushido185 and North Arm Knives for their replys!

Back