Ww2

The story of this Knife is that my Great grandfather pick this up on a battle field during a war in France.
20030Knife-med.JPG

20030Knife_2-med.JPG

Thanks

Henry-Krinkle is from the movie Taxi Driver. If you have seen the movie it's the part when Travis Bickle talks to the secret service guy. When the secret service asks him his name he tells him his name is Henry-Krinkle...So there

so hes got a kabar straped to his boot? cool, im going to have to go rent that if so

I'm not sure how it might have gotten there, but it looks Russian or Greek to me. I've never seen a knife with an Icon written on it before, but that is really cool. I'll have to show that to a guy at my church who is really into re-enacting. I'm sure he's not seen this kind of thing before! Really nice piece! By the by, are there any words carved into it?

Sincerely,
Anthony C. Paulin

SpyderJon said:
I'm not sure how it might have gotten there, but it looks Russian or Greek to me.

I can at the very least transcribe cyrillic or greek text into latin but i havent been able to spot any Russian/Greek in those pics :confused:

faramir, The inscription on the knife is a very rudimentary Icon in the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition. The figure in the first picture is clearly a Bishop or Patriarch of some kind, and the figure in the second picture is a priest. The robes in the first picture give the figure away as an Orthodox scene. It was common for Orthodox soldiers to take into battle with them (especially the Russians) an icon of some kind, usually givent to them by their family on entering the service. The Greek speculation on my part comes from where the knife was taken from (France being closer to Greece than Russia). The scene honestly looks more Russian, but I wondered if there was any writing on the handle to denote a further clue as to where the knife may have come from. I hope I've added to the understanding.

Sincerely,
Anthony

SpyderJon, being a Slav (like my felow Russians :D ) i find it a tad odd that that icon would be associated with them. I doesn't look "orthodox" a all - if you look up orthodox icons you'll see they all sport more details, they look more "serious" rather than "cartoonic". The picture on that knife looks really odd, it remaninds me of chinese (!) or other asian icons/artwork. You know, the top pic fits the description (a hat,m beard and mustache) but the bottom one looks like exactly the opposite.

It's really odd that there are no letters (latin, greek or cyrillic). The greek guess was good, if this item is indeed to be attributed to orthodox christians (afterall, how likely was it for a russian kid to own one of those - and lose it in the comnbat by dying - and for the finder t be relocated to western front upon findng it) i'd be hard pressed to attrivute the iconto either side (helenic or slav, both n the same side in WW2, but politically fundamentally different in some ponts).

I can't really see the Chinese connection. I mean, why would a Chinese art piece be in France? As for Icons, I AM Orthodox, Russian Orthodox actually, and while it doesn't look like a "traditional" icon, it also isn't a professional effort. It DOES however look to me like an attempt at an icon. If you were an Orthodox person with a lot of time on your hands (like between battles), you might be tempted to do some carving. Honestly either one of us could be right, but I find the Chinese/Asian connection far more tentative than the Greek/Russian connection if it was picked up on a battlefield in France during WW2. Not too many Chinese allied people I think, but I could be wrong.

Sincerely,
Anthony

sorry guys the WW2 was a typo. I meant WW1, That's what I was lead to beleive. That's all the info I got.

Thanks HK

Back