WWIII Micarta - Please cast your vote

The WWIII project has reached a crossroads, and the only way to select the best route is to consult the future owners.

The black micarta will come in two options - shiney or dull (paper based or linen based, I think). Remembering the shiney blued finish, do we prefer the shiney or the dull handle?

Also, a note on a recent comment about the amount of brass on the WWIII - there is none.

A simple "shiney" or "dull" will suffice, but I will need to order the micarta as soon as possible if we're to get these babies done before Christmas.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

The dull handle would offset the shiny blue finish blade better. Otherwise, too much shine might make it look cheaper and less martial, IMHO.

Nick

I don’t know…my first reaction was to opt for the matte-finished Micarta, but the more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards the polished (“shiny”) Micarta. If the WWIII had ended up with a Parkerized or other matte finish, I would choose the dull Micarta without hesitation. However, since we’re going with a deep-blued finish (my preference), I’ve had to reconsider. I realize that the suggestion of a “grain” in Micarta is visible in both the polished and unpolished varieties; but there are few synthetic handle materials that are as attractive as a deep-grained, polished Micarta. As far as the polished finish making the blade look garish or non-tactical, I really don’t think that would be the case. There are numerous examples of military-style blades with polished Micarta handles that look very classy, yet practical (various Randall models come to mind). After thinking about it, I’ll have to cast my vote for “shiny”.

Jim

Well, my first vote is olive drab, if that is still possible. Otherwise, dull.

I'm for dull.

Not only that but linen micarta is more grippy when wet and possibly tougher than paper.

Paper is prettier. But war is ugly
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 08 November 1999).]

Go with shiny, a dull finish would be easy to put on the shiny micarta if desired.

p1445

Not to bust Craig`s chops but I vote for dull canvas micarta. I believe the idea of using micarta was to have a tough grip material what would be easy to grip even when wet or bloody. Polished micarta won`t do that,it might as well be buff. horn. Rough finished linene would be my next choice but since canvas is readily available as well I felt it was worth mentioning. Marcus

Craig, I'm easy. I'll go with the majority vote -- I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

Craig, I'm with Jaeger and coyote; My first preference is for olive micarta (& sheath), definitely dull. If olive drab is out of the question, I'd still prefer dull micarta. It helps you maintain a more positive grip, and as someone already mentioned, if it's going to be slick, we might as well have horn.

BTW, Asking for Jaeger, coyote, and myself, can you give any indication yet as to whether olive micarta handles and olive concealex sheaths from Edgeworks are possible?

Thanks,
Chris C., WW3 #4

id rather something grippy and functional, could care less how pretty it is(it would be an added bonus if its pretty, but if its a choice betwixt aesthetics and practicality, id go with the more practical one)
other then that, im pretty flexible

------------------
AKTI member #A000911

Canvas and linen micarta are stronger and more durable than paper micarta. This IS the WW3 model, by God, go with linin or canvas!

Mike

Ykes! I was secretly hoping for a consensus
smile.gif

Well, I'll tell you that I am up in the air right now. You all bring up some excellent points.

By the way, this thread was only about the black handles - a few of you did order white (myself included) and in a couple of cases, green (please no more green handles - it will start to create a logistical nightmare). I think the white handles will be shiney, and the green handles will be dull (makes sense).

Back to the black handles - the shiney will "look" best, but the dull may well function better.

A point to consider : does this khukuri, with it's hot blue finish, really cry out to be used for survival? Wouldn't a bead-blasted or parkerized finish be more appropriate? I know - I love the shiney blue for my collection, but it WOULD scratch easily. With that, do we want to violate the form-follows-function rule and just go with the shiney handle to match the already decided upon hot blue finish?

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,
Your point is very well taken. I originally argued for a Parkerized finish (which would still be my preference, and which should logically have a black linen Micarta handle). Since the decision was made to go with the aesthetically more pleasing but less functional blued finish, I don't understand the emphasis on functionality for the handle. (Slippery when covered with blood? Man, smashin' through all those skullbones is gonna scratch up that pretty blue finish somethin' awful
frown.gif
). Merely my Confederate two-cent piece, FWIW.
Berk

Craig, I originally had thought that a parkerized blade would be best, but it's true that park. finishes scratch & wear easily, and there really is no remedy for it. I like the idea of being able to touch up the blueing if/when needed. So my vote is for a bead-blasted, hot blue finish. I'm not a commando who has to have everything to be tactical, but all things being equal, I'd prefer a flat finish to a shiny one if it's to be used in the field.

I'm REEEALLY looking forward to this.
smile.gif

Chris C.

------------------
"Live Free Or Die"

Criag,

You must be pulling your hair out by now.

If the blade is going to have a matte blue, then dull black would be my overwhelming choice.

If the blade is going to have a high polish, shiny blue finish, then I am inclined to go with polished black.

I'll take what ever the majority decides on, because I can always alter it later on.

In a previous post I think I suggested the need for 2 models:

Polished blue with a polished black handle, for admirers/ occasionial users.

Matte blue with dull finished handles for those who intend to use it hard.

The only help I can suggest, is that we take up a collection for some Rogaine to help you grow back the hair you are pulling out.

p1445

p.s. I have some more ideas for a few special projects, would you be interested?
(ducking and running)

I'm glad to hear that the green handles will be dull. I am assuming that all of the blades have been given the shiney hot bluing. If not is there an option of bead blasting? If so, count me in. If not, that's ok too. I'll probably put on a baked on enamel finish myself. If I want something fancy and flashey then I'll order one of your deluxe engraved models. This one's gonna see some use!

Back