x5

Sufler

Gold Member
I like the idea of owning the Bruks Mini-hatchet, but not at its price. Knives of Alaska has their Hunter's hatchet - that's a possibility. But, the Fiskars X5 (or Gerber) is really catching my eye especially at the price of sub-$30. However, the proportions seem off in the specs and I'm afraid it isn't as well thought out performance piece as the finely tuned Bruks. Primarily playing around with the idea of only-belt-hatchet hiking. No big indestructible knife here. I've had the predecessor of what is now know as their X7 (14") for years and have beat the crappola out of it and she's still going strong.

Input appreciated.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...-and-Striking-Tools/X5-Hatchet-8#.ULLnW2ecDEY

:thumbup:

xseries_hatchets_lineup_main_banner.jpg

The blade profile is a little different than the old style 14" hatchet but the head is the same size on an 8" hatchet handle

I used my buddies X7 a few weeks ago on a camping trip. I was prety impressed with it. It's light. And the head had good bite to it. It's on my Xmas wishlist.

Gerber also puts out the Camp Axe II, which is 17.32" long according to their website, and the only difference is it is gray instead of orange.

The X5 is a very small axe, but I know once I slapped a new re-profiled edge on my 14" Fiskars there was a negligible (if any at all) performance difference when compared to my 14" GB Wildlife Hatchet.

The X5 is a very small axe, but I know once I slapped a new re-profiled edge on my 14" Fiskars there was a negligible (if any at all) performance difference when compared to my 14" GB Wildlife Hatchet.

The X5 looks like the Gerber PAX which I have. It is basically a splitting wedge with a handle. Very blunt. No match for a GB Mini which I have.

I'm seeing that the Fiskars X5 and Gransfors Hand Hatchet are very much alike in terms of size and weight.

Back