XHP Recon 1

Between these and the Warcraft series, it's great to see Cold Steel get into some newer steels. AUS-8 is a great value steel, and San Mai makes a wonderful field knife, (my Master Hunter sees tons of use, and is strong, razor sharp, and low maintenance- i prefer it to my H1 Falkie.)

But combing some of Demko's design brilliance w/ XHP and CPM makes me worry for my saving account. 3v Rajah II, anyone?!?

Looks like these are available at a pretty good price online. $99 but still combo edge :(

That's a good price! I would definitely buy one if it weren't for the combo edge. Also, if they do a stonewashed finish instead of the DLC, the knife may even end up a few dollars cheaper! :thumbup:

If you don't like part-serrated or Tanto-points.

Just wait for 2015 and they should introduce the whole line of different blade shapes.

It sure looks to me that this will happen next year!

Last edited:
If a plain edge clip point model comes out next year, then I may give it a good look. Combo edge+tanto just keeps me away from this one though.

I you don't like part-serrated or Tanto-points.

Just wait for 2015 and they should introduce the whole line of different blade shapes.

It sure looks to me that this will happen next year!

Do you have a reliable source, or are you just torturing us? ;)

Darn it, I found one on eBay and picked it up. I'm not sure $156NZ was in the budget this month, but I suppose for something that's fairly exclusive that's not too bad. Local stores sell the AUS8 Recon for about that, and I don't have a Recon yet.

Do you have a reliable source, or are you just torturing us? ;)

To paraphrase what I said about this before in another thread about this very same subject:

1. Andrew Demko posted on this very forum that there will be new models and blade steels offered over the next few years.

This was right before the release of the Warcraft Tanto in 2013.

2. There was an accidental posting on the Cold Steel website earlier this year that showed 2015 models with Carpenter CTS-BD1 and CTS-XHP blade steels.

3. According to Spyderco, it costs 1.5 times more to make products in Japan than in the USA now. Cold Steel has been phasing out a lot of Japanese products lately. (I don't know if we will see American-made Cold Steel products though.)

4. It takes time for the new blade steels to be ordered (at least a year in advance) and put in the production process for the proper quantities (a few thousand pieces over several years).

5. Cold Steel generally likes to be unique in the blade steels that they offered. Lots of other knife brands have had Aus-8 in their lines. (I have been following the knife industry as a user/collector for about 20 years.)

6. In my honest opinion: Since Andrew Demko has joined up as the chief designer for Cold Steel. He has updated and modernized their line-up very well.

Last edited:
To paraphrase what I said about this before in another thread about this very same subject:

1. Andrew Demko posted on this very forum that there will be new models and blade steels offered over the next few years.

This was right before the release of the Warcraft Tanto in 2013.

2. There was an accidental posting on the Cold Steel website earlier this year that showed 2015 models with Carpenter CTS-BD1 and CTS-XHP blade steels.

3. According to Spyderco, it costs 1.5-percent more to make products in Japan than in the USA now. Cold Steel has been phasing out a lot of Japanese products lately. (I don't know if we will see American-made Cold Steel products though.)

4. It takes time for the new blade steels to be ordered (at least a year in advance) and put in the production process for the proper quantities (a few thousand pieces over several years).

5. Cold Steel generally likes to be unique in the blade steels that they offered. Lots of other knife brands have had Aus-8 in their lines. (I have been following the knife industry as a user/collector for about 20 years.)

6. In my honest opinion: Since Andrew Demko has joined up as the chief designer for Cold Steel. He has updated and modernized their line-up very well.

Wow- thanks for all the great info! I think Demko is one of the finest designers for hard use blades, regardless of price. I just wish i could afford a custom from him...

The Warcraft is very interesting to me- if they make a clip and or drop point, i'll be all over it. G10, 3v & a great sheath for $160!?

I hope Cold Steel keeps its San Mai III line in Japan. Their Master Hunter is my favorite hiking, hunting and camp knife. I find San Mai to be an almost perfect outdoor stainless, and the price is great on the Kraton handle models, (compared to Falkniven, which i also own.) a Micarta or G10 Master Hunter would be my dream knife...

For the record, i also love Aus-8, and with a proper sharpening, (lower the angle and polish it smooth,) i find it holds a wicked edge. One of the sharpest knives i have is a Voyager XL clip point that i convexed.

Thanks again- looks like Cold Steel will be getting more of my hard-earned money!

I just ordered a code 4 in cts-xhp. I'll let you guys knows how it goes. I did not realize they updated the black coating on the blades as well, because that tuffex stuff was a JOKE. If the recon 1 series has this "good" steel and better DLC coating, all they need is g10 that feels more like what spyderco has on their USA knives and they would be amazing. I'll let you guys knows how the xhp goes!

I just ordered a code 4 in cts-xhp. I'll let you guys knows how it goes. I did not realize they updated the black coating on the blades as well, because that tuffex stuff was a JOKE. If the recon 1 series has this "good" steel and better DLC coating, all they need is g10 that feels more like what spyderco has on their USA knives and they would be amazing. I'll let you guys knows how the xhp goes!
You might wanna try the new American lawman then. It's got the new xhp steel, dlc coating, and new American g10 that's basically identical to the kind you'd find on Spyderco's. It's a lot thinner than the older model too.

Got my XHP Recon 1 Spearpoint plain-edged a couple weeks ago. Other than the blade steel and the DLC coating, everything is the same. BTW i love the coating. Holds up and wears very well. It wont chip off like the old teflon coating.

Cut through dozen of boxes during move with XHP Lawman, i can tell the edge definitely last longer(i can cut at least 2-3x more boxes vs AUS8A lawman) before honing it on Spyderco's fine sharpmaker stone. A few passes and it's back to razor sharp.

Factory edge is toothy and a lil bit too sharp, so i would suggest smoothing out the edge on fine stone(i suggest freehand) before using it on rough material like boxes. I now it's counter intuitive to intentional make your knife less sharp like that, but trust me, it will last longer under rough cutting since you get a stronger edge.

Really the lawman has new g10? I did not realize this, they all say "g10" damn I just bought a mini recon, I should have got that! The XHP has been nice on the code 4, so nice that I bought the mini recon 1. It is a bit brittle though, factory edge chipped out lightly from cardboard use at work, however it did not dull at all.

Really the lawman has new g10? I did not realize this, they all say "g10" damn I just bought a mini recon, I should have got that! The XHP has been nice on the code 4, so nice that I bought the mini recon 1. It is a bit brittle though, factory edge chipped out lightly from cardboard use at work, however it did not dull at all.

Sharpen it to get the factory edge off and I think your chipping will go away.

Sharpen it to get the factory edge off and I think your chipping will go away.

+1 to that. The Factory edge is toothy and IMO ground too thin. I usually put it on a super fine stone to polish it smooth and add a steeper microbevel then strop it. Alternatively you can just strop it with a very steep angle until you feel the edge smooth out.
It should stay sharp for much longer after that. Don't worry about it not shaving hair easily, there is no use for that unless you are really shaving with it. A strong working edge is more useful than a razor edge that don't quite last.

Okay I will put er up on the edge pro and try again. I just got a Mini recon1 in DLC, and WOW THE NEW G10 IS AWESOME! Its just like spyderco's g10, maybe a bit finer. Man Cold Steel is tearing' it up in my opinion. The price point is amazing. So mini Recond you get:
CTS XHP
strong DLC
GOOD g10
strongest lock on the market
removable thumb studs
tip up, ambidextrous use and clips!

Well Loving the mini recon, I did what you guys suggested and I put a very high polish on my Code 4 on the edgepro. Got er hair whittling sharp, and made it almost toothless. Mirror polish and yada yada, anyway, the chipping is still just as apparent. I'm thinking of running a micro bevel perhaps. I followed the factory angle geometry. this CTS XHP just doesn't like cardboard, at least not the stuff i'm cutting.
Card board is extremely in-consistent, no 2 pieces are the same, but the stuff i'm cutting is absolutely killing it, even with just a couple cuts. The steel holds up great on everything else though. IDK again i'm finding soft steels a better option for work.
I doubt my steel has a bad heat treat. The stuff took a CRAAAZY fine edge though!
-Max

Back