XTi versus Spirit

I'm sure this has been discussed before, I just can't find the answers I need.
I see both tools have very loyal users and both for good reason, but I am looking to add something to my belt that I wont have to second guess.
What I need are the driver bits that accompany each tool, the Spirit plus has the bits and a small wrench, does that kit fit in the same sheath as the tool? How about with the Leatherman?
Obviously I am trying to get the most versatility with the smallest package, but I am willing to sacrifice size for a little more tool..
I haven't had this difficult of a time making a purchasing decision for a long time..

Well the Spirit does not have a straight blade, only a blunt ended serated blade. (I gather to comply with some European laws that outlaw locking blades). So if need a true blade and do not carry a seperate folder then this may not be what you want. I find it awkward to use a blade on a plier based tool so carry a seperate folder anyway. The spirit is lighter and IMHO of much better build and quality than anything Leatherman make. One thing I do not like about the Spirit is the scissors - they cut well enough but have a limited opening width due to the new sping mechanism.

The Charge XTi has a one handed opening blade made with premium 154 CM steel. So if this is important to you then you may prefer this. I prefer the Ti to the XTi as it has scissors. With the XTi you get two bit drivers, but this makes no sense to me and would have thought that the space would be better used with more different tools. Perhaps there is a spare because, as several have reported, the bit drivers on the Leathermans break?

Interesting..
How about bit storage? Do the bits (for each tool) store in the tools sheath or does one or the other require a separate sheath?

I've seen Spirits with two different sheaths: a smaller one for just the tool, no wrench & bits; and a larger one with separate pockets inside for the wrench and bits (and even a corkscrew attachment). I have the latter.

While Leatherman has gotten a lot of flak for their "non-standard" bits, they don't take up near as much room as the full 1/4" hex bit the Spirit uses. The whole package of Spirit, wrench, bit holder and sheath is bulkier than my Charge, bit holder, Peak LED flashlight and sheath. Specifically, the Spirit takes up more volume and is deeper, i.e. sticks out further from my belt, enough that it gets in the way a lot more than the Charge does.

If I get a chance today, I'll take some comparison pix.

gatch said:
With the XTi you get two bit drivers, but this makes no sense to me and would have thought that the space would be better used with more different tools. Perhaps there is a spare because, as several have reported, the bit drivers on the Leathermans break?

The second bit driver on the Charge XTi is not necessarily a "spare". It could be considered a spare if you're carrying more bits in addition to what the tool itself holds, but what if you carry with a pocket clip and don't carry additional bits, like I am doing? You get another phillips driver, which the Ti (or Wave) is lacking. (You also get a 1/4" slotted driver, but the Ti and Wave have a fixed one). That combo #1/#2 phillips can't handle nearly everything. With seperate #1 and #2 sizes, you can cover phillips screws much better. Or, for example, you could carry another double-ended bit that might be needed frequently for a special application. This gives the XTi a nice flexibility for screwdriving without having to carry the tool in its pouch, which adds a LOT of bulk. And is missing the scissors really that big of a deal? I'm willing to bet that you can get the vast majority of scissor jobs done using the knife.

Also, I have two XTis and neither has had a problem with either bit driver. My Surge has been a different story, though (even though the driver seems to be exactly the same).

Pydpiper said:
Interesting..
How about bit storage? Do the bits (for each tool) store in the tools sheath or does one or the other require a separate sheath?

The XTi's leather sheath will hold Ten double-ended bits in a pocket in the back. Apparently you can hold twenty in the nylon pouch, but I've never tried to did it, and the fit looks to be extremely tight. See Doug Ritter's review on equipped.com. See Leatherman's site to see which bits come with the Charge.

kmcrawford111 said:
And is missing the scissors really that big of a deal?.
Yes, it is for me.

kmcrawford111 said:
I'm willing to bet that you can get the vast majority of scissor jobs done using the knife.

But not all.

Back