Yay! Cold steel now makes machetes--anyone have one?

If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on whichever model you have. Does the 1055 steel rust really easily? Is the handle's ergonomics comofortable enough for your hand to endure hours of use? You know, the usual. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Cold Steel does not "make" machetes . . .
anything you find on this site look familiar?? http://www.lasher.co.za/

Just look under "products" then "agriculture tools", then "cane knives" or "machetes"

Sorry to dissapoint but these have been around awhile, CS is just importing them.

The CS site even says these are from South Africa.

OK, pardon my ignorance for not taking a look at the CS website. I actually got the Special Projects catalog today and while there's a statement in there stating that they decided on machetes made in South Africa, I took that to mean that they have contracted a factory to produce a number for them, kinda like they do w/ their tomahawks, and then decided to stamp their name on it. Besides that, the catalog takes a possessive tone, giving the impression that it's an actual Cold Steel-affiliated facility producing these things. Details, to me, really, I just wanted to know if they were decent or not...

Hey Guys...

It would be nice if CS would come out with the stuff they said they would 6 months ago...

Like the mini Bushman..

ttyle

Eric..

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

Eric, now I am told "sometime in April"
frown.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

1055 is a plain carbon steel, it will rust very readily. It will also be fairly soft and not very wear resistant so don't expect great edge holding. However it should be very easy to work, a decent file should handle edge shaping easily. It should also be very durable, assuming of course that CS doesn't get them overhardened which they have a tendancy to do.

-Cliff

Grand Admiral Thrawn the Empire has been looking for you. I was just glad to see that the machetes weren't made of 420 Sub Zero Quenched steel like a great deal of their new products.

Darkjedi-"Long live the Empire"

Heh, hey there DarkJedi. Yeah, I do find it kinda scary that CS is using "420 Sub Zero Quenched" for their knives now. Wonder what the hell they're thinking by doing that. Even AUS6 is better than 420...

Thrawn, glad to see you haven't fallen off the earth. I like that "light machete"--it looks like a little kampilan. Whack!

Nah, haven't fallen off the face of the earth...yet. Now if my knee/ankle problems would stop hindering my ability to set up a private w/ Datu...Maybe in a couple of weeks, though (yeah, I've been saying that for a few months now). Anyway, I like the Panga, it kinda reminds me of a cross b/t a Chinese Tao and your typical machete. I like the slightly forward-weighted bend, too, that way I can let the tool do the work for me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Normark:
Hey Guys...

It would be nice if CS would come out with the stuff they said they would 6 months ago...

Like the mini Bushman..

ttyle

Eric..

</font>

They have already it in the No. 21 Spring 2001 Special Projects Book
Page 52
#95BUSM Mini Bushman
Retail $26.99 Spec Pro $21.99

Hope this helps.

------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Who watches the Watchmen.