Yet another wacko sharpening idea

Everyone and their uncle have a pen type retractable hone on the market except Spyderco. You know, something like a round file (usually diamond) in a nice aluminum base.

How about a Spyderco version, but using their trademark triangle style hones in several grits?

Picture three long stones, which when held together, form a cylindrical shape. Viewing the cross section should show each rod as a 1/3 "pie" segment of a circle. The entire cylinder fits into an aluminum tube type holder with a twist locking collar which can be loosened to permit any one of the rods to be extended.

The advantage over the competition:

1) three grits instead of 1

2) each rod has a flat, an edge and a rounded
profile to offer more versatility.

3) uses Spyderco stones

Another keen (but more wacked out) idea would be to add a clear plastic cap on the bottom end with some fluid (water?) like a bubble level that's calibrated so that the sharpener could be held consistently at a fixed angle while holding the rod tipped downward (ie, on a table)...markings for 15 and 20 degrees.

Any thoughts on this? Or maybe I should just get my 2nd cup of coffee..

If these are wacko, I guess you have company. While the 204 is a great improvement over the 203, I'd love just what you described. Especially if it's short enough to fit inside a shirt pocket. Man, how handy that would be. If I had the equipment to cut the stones, I'd try to build one!

Hope Sal and Co. will give this one some thought (hint, hint).

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

If the whole thing is going to be about as big around as a ball-point pen, the stones would have to be pretty narrow. Metal (read: diamond!) would work better than ceramic if extreme fragility is an issue. I've seen some pretty fat pens, though. The bubble guage angle indicator is an iteresting idea. Again I'll ask: how small can something like that be made and still work?

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
"Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz."

David, I agree that it's probably not practical to have this as a pen-sized unit... just compact and portable, sorta like "The Ultimate Edge" diamond sharpener which is about 3/4" in diameter and about 5" long collapsed (9" extended).

My aim would be something pocketable or easily baggable and usable anywhere (with or without a table).

I agree tho, that diamond on a metal base would allow for a sturdier, lighter and smaller setup, tho I guess I'm partial to stones myself. I guess Sal would know better what's the limit of practical width for a ceramic stone before it gets too fragile.

The Ultimate Edge is hardly pen-sized, but still plenty usable in its given size ... I just think it could be improved a lot.

Small diamond hones are already out there. I'd want it to use Spyderco's stones, preferably medium, fine, and ultra fine.

Hey Sal, how come the ultra fine isn't available for the Tri-Angle? I can't bring myself to spend the dough on the bench stone, but sure would like to get a smaller one.

Ray

------------------
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Sounds great to me! I'd buy it in an instant! I recently purchased the Sharpmaker 204, and it's really great! Even a novice like me got a really nice edge! But it's a bit heavy for my shirt pocket!
wink.gif
I'd love it just like Longden described - either stones or diamonds would be fine.

Sal? Are you listening?
smile.gif

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

My recent post isn't showing so I can't edit it. Just wanted to add that even if it was the thickness of three pens together or thicker, it would still be a terrific tool!

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

They could call it the Spyder-Mite
smile.gif

A nice brushed aircraft aluminum handle in anodized gold color... I'll even give you that it can have the accursed clip to secure it to whatever bag/pocket you'd like.

And if 3 stones aren't enough for you, how about four, with the 4th one being a steel?

The SAK of sharpeners. The Mite that bites!

Generally speaking, 5" would be about the shortest stone that is effective.

We'd rather go with th diamonds at this time than the ultra fine. The ulra fine market is actualy quite small. I have made my own ultra fine triangles by "gritting them down" with a diamond stone. Runined the diamond stone though.

The propblem with small, transportable, etc. is more easily understood when compared to firearms. A 22 pistol would certainly be easier to carry when hunting large game, but is not effective enough in application. The same seems to be true of sharpeners.

sal

Well, shoot. It sounded like such a good idea, too. The 5" limit does make a lot of sense though.

Sigh...At least Sal has given me a purpose for a few DMT diamond stones I have around that I have used since getting my SharpMaker. I bet DMT would love to hear that I used their products to make a competitor's better!
LOL

Ray

------------------

AKTI Member #A000831

Sal,

A pocketable/baggable retractable 5" stone sounds useable to me (unless you have to add considerable length for holding the stone in place and tip protection, etc).

A 4 rod unit with a steel, an ultra-fine diamond hone and the two trademark white and brown stones...and an angle guide.

Regarding your analogy to the effectiveness of hunting with a 22 caliber gun, I agree that many table solutions (benchstones and the 204) will do a better job, but I now have a DMT dual grit diafold and a Gatco TriSeps sharpener to do the job away from home. Both items were voted as an "accessory of the year" at different times, and while that's hardly a proof of their usefulness, I would think that's evidence that they fill a definite or perceived need for a portable solution.

I only add that I think a better solution can still be devised. Now I'll go back in my hole and play with my Spydies
smile.gif

Longden - There are already a number of smaller hand held sharpening devices on the market. IMO, none that perform as well or even close to the 204 Sharpmaker.

Regarding the awards, They sometimes produce interesting results...The DMT diafold won twice (two years in a row) Once with a single grit and once with a double grit.

The Double grit version defeated the 204 Sharpmaker for an award. The Outdoor Edge "Cody Pack" defeated the SpydeRench. The Gatco (never produced) tanto bladed "Timberlite" defeated the Native.

Hard to say what will win an award these days.

I found some "2nd" profile stones. I'm planning on cutting a couple of 5" pieces for you. (setting up the saw in the new location). I saw a few 4" white profile stones at the 2nd sale. We made those for a dental firm. Might be a few left?

sal

Hey, throw me any bone (stone) Sal
smile.gif

You'll find I'm an easy guy to please.

Just email me specifics when you have the short stones at hand.

I know what you mean about winning awards and I try not to judge quality based on popularity contests. I only meant to emphasize that the market is there and it seemed the king of sharpeners is conspicuously absent. OTOH, you guys obviously have your marketing arena well staked out and I'll defer to that.

Hey Sal,

What do you mean by "profile stones"? Are these like X-coarse for "profiling" the edge? Or am I off on a wild-goose chase again? Do you just mean that they have the triangle profile? I'd be interested in buying some 2nds of fine, xfine or xcoarse, too. If they're triangular for fitting the sharpmaker, so much the better.

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

Paul - the "ProFile" is an 8 x 3/4 x 1/4" stone that provides a large radius on both edges, a small radius on both edges a flat down one side and a groove down the other. It provides no angles, but the variety of surface shapes makes them ideal for Professional use on everything from mold makers to the knife makers at Randall Knives.

It is available only in Medium (gray/brown) and fine (white) ceramic. I would ulimately like to add a diamond version, but the shape is proving difficult to create in the base steel. Some day.

sal

Back