Yikes-"broken arrow"

Estwing already has made implements such as this. Just recently in fact. The Estwing tomahawk. I suppose that makes them part of the capitalistic cottage industry as well.

For a tomahawk designed for military and breaching applications.....it's a terrible design to boot. I don't know of any "ordinary" folks who will have a real use for the Estwing tomahawk.

While the design element of a bearded blade is not ideal for chopping wood, calling it fantasy/fictional is gutbustingly, freakin' hilarious.

The design is extremely flawed in the Estwing tomahawk. It was made with military applications in mind.....or so they claim. More like "keeping up with the Jones" in mind. The spikes shape begs for it to hang up in material after it's penetrated as does the hole in the head of the tomahawk. There's no reason for a "hole" in a tomahawks head. It's a cheap and lazy way to reduce weight.

The design is extremely flawed in the Estwing tomahawk. It was made with military applications in mind.....or so they claim. More like "keeping up with the Jones" in mind. The spikes shape begs for it to hang up in material after it's penetrated as does the hole in the head of the tomahawk. There's no reason for a "hole" in a tomahawks head. It's a cheap and lazy way to reduce weight.

Like ;)

Well, to be fair, that design is fairly conventional and there's no deep skinny beard. The Estwing I think isa little ridiculous is this one.
Will wonders never cease. Who would have believed that Estwing would succumb to cashing in on fashion. A double bit tomahawk no less: sheesh!

Have not handled the Eastwing but it appears that the spike is too big to slip into something to pry with and the hole is useless indeed. They could have/should have done better.

So, I guess those stupid Vikings had utterly no concept of good axe design. We should just write them out of history altogether. Up to and including today, what with all the Scandinavian wood carvers using a bearded hatchet. ...... There are many very good reasons to have such a beard on a small tomahawk or hatchet. The fact that this particular example had a flaw is not really an indication of its suitability as a tool. I don't necessarily like these one piece tomahawk like objects but they are an answer to a modern need.

Last edited:
I think this was a case of someone using a tool for a job it was not meant for, coupled with a possible defect in the steel itself.

Have a look at this video (read the description!):
[video=youtube;KraGsKin0lY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KraGsKin0lY[/video]

Have not handled the Eastwing but it appears that the spike is too big to slip into something to pry with and the hole is useless indeed. They could have/should have done better.

For it to penetrate subfloor I had to grind off the barbs.

So, I guess those stupid Vikings had utterly no concept of good axe design. We should just write them out of history altogether. Up to and including today, what with all the Scandinavian wood carvers using a bearded hatchet. ...... There are many very good reasons to have such a beard on a small tomahawk or hatchet. The fact that this particular example had a flaw is not really an indication of its suitability as a tool. I don't necessarily like these one piece tomahawk like objects but they are an answer to a modern need.

Well, to be honest I've never seen a Viking axe with both a beard that long AND a blade that thin. I can't speak to this specific manufacturer as I've never handled their tools but I know there's only so much a bit of unsupported steel can take, even good steel. The original post mentioned that the blade only bent as a result of the initial "abuse" and that the break happened when the owner tried to straighten it out himself. Here I'm only guessing but if the straightening method was to hit it with a hammer I don't think the beard stood a chance.

FireStrike: Did I open a can of worms,.... and get your goat up? Blithely pretending and blindly defending that there is a practical/realistic use for something fictional/inventive/creative is quite different from appreciating useful things that already exist. I can very much see the appeal of fanciful curves and shapes and can also see how this whole self-defense/survival/zombie genre is encouraged by a Capitalistic cottage industry of willing suppliers that will expound on 'superior steel, heat treat, cryogenic hammer-forged' etc etc.
Consider this: when Estwing Mfg. starts making implements such as this I know two things; 1) ordinary working folks have a real use for them and 2) they're engineered/designed and built so that they won't break.

Refer to post 10

well this interesting discussion got me away fro my kukris for a few days and I went to home depot and bought a eastwing long handled rigger/camp axe or hatchet to mod into a bearded Viking axe like a few guys done in the past. got to find those threads in the archives.been wanting to do one for a while.guess we will see.gonna get my Viking on.

the new line of estwing tomahawks feature a much thicker shaft. I've used mine as a pry bar. The estwing rigger/sportsman series the shaft is only suitable for one direction prying, or it will bend.

Don't feed the trolls! As far as the op pic, I agree it may have been bent and bent back fast. I know the swamp will cover it.

Back