You can only have ONE with you

Either of two for me. I've used a 5" pilots survival knife for long term survival. Man was I happy once I purchased my HI M 43. wouldn't be without it. I have used it to build a log cabin, peel logs, chop firewood, prepare tinder, buthcher game, defend myself and much much more. you should have seen how far the blade could bend to the side when splitting out notches. A truly fantastic blade.

In all likelihood, it's highly unlikely that I'd be in that situation.
Asteroid hit? It's either close enough to kill me, or it's far enough away that it didn't hit me or my gear and I have time to gear up.
Pack falls off cliff? I carry my blades on me, I'd sure miss my sleeping bag, pup tent and water filter, though.
Plane goes down? I'd still have my belt knife at least, possibly my kukri.

Which brings me to my answer, if I HAD to only have one, it'd be my 20" HI kukri.
Yes, even on the plane (assuming it's a charter, as none of us would have so much as nail clippers on a commercial flight). See, it's too big and heavy for belt wear, so I looped an unused sling through the frog and carry it baldric style. Laying under my arm, next to my chest (where a shoulder holstered gun would be) is both comfortable and convienent. So what makes it less likely to be on my belt actually makes it more likely that I'd have it.

Of course it's cheating under this scenario, but it does have the chakmak and karda (small knife) in the sheath with it. But we can assume that I've replaced it with a sheath just for the kukri, like Coote suggested.

Reason for the choice is it's excellent for bigger jobs -- chopping wood, shelter building, butchering large game -- and can be pressed into service on smaller things as necessary. But again, the Nepalese make them witht he chakmak and karda int he sheath to have both a small blade and the larger tool, because it often IS their only blade. . .

Now the "So you carry it EDC?" is just a strawman argument. I seriously doubt anyone goes off into the wilderness 600 miles everyday for work. Even if you are a ranger or something working deep int he wilderness, you still have to follow communications protocols, and if you don't you have rescue on the way, so it doesn't fit the scenario.
Most of us could probably make it home from our everyday travels with no gear and no bushcraft needed, so it really doesn't matter what you EDC. What matters is what you would have with you when you were in a place that such a scenario is possible.

Back