You may not believe this, and I could use some help, but......

schmittie

Gold Member
It looks like I'm going to be in need of a knife for the wife. Just yesterday, I was sitting on the couch, stropping my Bushfinger, and when I got done, Mrs Schmittie says "Let me see that one again." I smiled and handed it to her. She looks it over, and then turns to me and says, "So when do I get one of these? This is from that Andy guy, right? I think I need one. Does he have a girl model?" Well, while grinning ear to ear, I picked up my iPad and brought up the Fiddleback Fotki page and we poured through all of what has been made for this year. I was surprised at how many models she really liked. But, we ended up a little stumped too.

Here's the deal-

1: the Bushfinger is too large and heavy for her little hands. She likes my Hiking Buddy, but wanted something more like a chopper for camp kitchen duty. In our kitchen set at home, there is a small, 4" blade santoku that is her favorite and most used knife. But there isn't exactly a knife like that in the Fiddleback lineup. The BLJ is similar. I even thought maybe the Snubnose would work. But then again, it may be too big as well. She does want a belt knife after all. Maybe a Hiking Buddy would be a compromise? She did really like the Karda, but she thought it may be too small for camp kitchen duties and she has several neck knifes already.

2: this one might be the bigger problem....it has to have a pink handle of some sort. I have seen Fod make some pink micarta, but I've never seen anyone use it. Do you guys remember ever seeing a pink Fiddleback?

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. But, I'm excited that she is wanting to get a Fiddleback all her own!

Last edited:
Ok, Does it absolutely have to be pink? If not, I'd wait to see what other flavored Kirinite Andy has purchased. Otherwise, how about a pretty, stabilized wood?

Now, as far as models go... I say Guardless Ladyfinger

Handle is probably small enough for your wife's hand, yet with a large enough blade to perform most camp duties. Especially food prep.

Just my two cents,
Sergio

Well. we are sort of in a similar situation. After watching my daughter use her mother's Hiking Buddy in the kitchen with me I have decided that I wish to get her a Hiking Buddy with a 1/8 convex and tapered tang as her first Fiddleback. Her favorite color is pink.I was going to contact Andy to see if he had seen any of that Kirinite stuff in pink and if such a Hiking Buddy with black bolsters would be doable. Though I must admit I am starting to lean more toward purple as my oldest daughter loved pink at this age and now hates it. But for me it's going to be a month or two down the road after I catch up on some things. I do think a convex HB would work well in the kitchen. My wife loves hers, but it's a scandi and isn't the greatest at things like hard cheeses...or really soft ones :). After I told her what I was getting the little one, she said "yeah, I want one like that but with the blue and yellow kirinite"..."and no you can't have this one back!" It's looking like the next couple of Fiddlebacks won't be mine...but I guess I can make due with the ones I have for a while :D

I second Kal-El, A Guardless Ladyfinger is probably the ticket!

Full convex and tapered, and maybe 1/8. He says she has already said the Bushfinger is too heavy. I love the guardless LF I have in the kitchen that's for sure, but its full tang, saber grind, and just as heavy as my BF, which I really don't mind at all.

A full high convex grind with a tapered tang, would do it. A hidden Tang Ladyfinger would also be much lighter. My hidden tang KPH weighs next to nothing.

Ok, Does it absolutely have to be pink? .......
Now, as far as models go... I say Guardless Ladyfinger

Does it have to be pink?? Well, let me put it this way- she has two specific hats for camping, both pink camo. I recently had to get her a new pack, why? Because she found one in pink camo! She has a few of those AAA flashlight/pocket knife combos because they were PINK! Her ESEE Izula is, guess what? Pink! She even insisted on having her own trout fishing vest for our trips, BUT....yep. You guessed it. It's pink. Her blue gill fishing rod/reel it's pink. Her SUV.... it's black. Hey, come on, I drive it too. ;)

But you get the idea.

I'll have to see what she thinks about a guardless Ladyfinger though. Nice idea!

Hmm, you guys may be on to something.

Full convex and tapered, and maybe 1/8. He says she has already said the Bushfinger is too heavy. I love the guardless LF I have in the kitchen that's for sure, but its full tang, saber grind, and just as heavy as my BF, which I really don't mind at all.

Well, now I'm starting to see a common denominator. :)

Maybe there could be a Fiddleback Friday for females....? Lol!

schmittie I picked up a Bushfinger and a Hikingbuddy for my wife recently and she loves both of them very much. I thought with a BF she'd be covered for camp chores, food prep. etc. and the HB is great for day trips and slightly more precise food prep. As I said she loves both knives but she had the exact response it sounds like your wife is having...I gave her the knives and the first thing she said to me was "what, they don't come in pink?" :p

Someone should really get on making pink and purple micarta...they'd have a monopoly on the female end of the knife-nut spectrum haha.

What I ended up going with was the Doublemint handle configuration. My wife really does like this handle config and, while it's not really "girly", I think it's pretty neutral. Other than that, kirinite is a great suggestion as that stuff really has some funky colors and lots of character. Finally you really can't go wrong with a nice piece of wood full of its own character.

I actually have a stabilized maple burl Kephart which is dyed purple. I am looking to sell it (it'll go up in the exchange as soon as I can manage to take a decent picture or two...) and I would offer that as a suggestion but it's 5/32" and full tang, so it'd be just as heavy as your Bushfinger I'm sure. That being said, with the tapered tangs you might be able to get away with a BF or a Kephart or the like...not sure how much weight it takes off the finished knife.

Failing that I think a KE Bushie might be your best bet: big enough for a solid belt knife, great blade shape that will give you both camp use and food prep and with a tapered tang I think it'd be about as light as you can get a blade that size!

In our kitchen set at home, there is a small, 4" blade santoku that is her favorite and most used knife.

The new nessmuk might work. I have one of his earlier nessmuks at 3/32" thickness and 4" blade. :thumbup:

I think if you stick with 1/8 tapered tang there would be a few models which would work. The lighter, slicier and more balanced the knife the happier she'll be (pet theory:))

Hi schmittie,

If I understand this correctly, your wife wants a knife that cuts like her 4-inch Santoku for camp kitchen duty that would serve equally as a belt knife?

I think that a tapered tang convex (full height or saber grind) KE Bushie or Ladyfinger would fit the ticket spot on. Both offer a blade approximately 4-inches long with comfortable handles for extended use. Can't get any better than that. :)

Mark

I saw andy hada kitchen knife with blue and black G10 micarta? Not sure if its called micarta.Maybe some pink and black G10 would look good

This is a guardless Ladyfinger I made for my wife.

20121214100_7743-vi.jpg

I didn't taper this tang tho.

20121214100_7747-vi.jpg

That knife is gorgeous Andy - How does she like using it in the kitchen? Looks like it is a slicing machine...

Get Mrs Schmittie to hang out on Fridays, :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

...I bet she finds something that tickles her fancy. :eek:

Big Mike

Well, I guess that settles it. According to the masses, Ladyfinger is the knife :)

Now we just got to convince Andy to use some pink G-10 or micarta. Call it "breast cancer awareness" or something. Save the tata's!!!

Well, I guess that settles it. According to the masses, Ladyfinger is the knife :)

Now we just got to convince Andy to use some pink G-10 or micarta. Call it "breast cancer awareness" or something. Save the tata's!!!

A Pink Ladyfinger, sounds good to me. Can't wait to see it. ;)

Back