You never forget your first JK

Hey all,

So I was cleaning a knife up to ship and I got to thinking about my Pot plus, I never really have taken great pictures of it, haven't posted that much abut it, it was my first JK and I wasn't as forum addicted at the time :p
104_0319.jpg

Anyway, I have thought a lot of things about this knife over the time I've owned it, not all of them good if I'm honest (about my choices, not it's quality fyi.)

I've worried I should have asked for the handle to be shorter, that I should have asked for no choil, that I should't have gone with the orange g10. As you may know this is a "super sized" version of the Potawatomi Slim Necker designed by fellow forumite and JK fan, Jeff Shroup. In fact it was his post in the EDC thread that got me looking at JK knives. If I remember right he said something like "if I need anything more, i'll take an axe!" which I liked, a lot :D. Heck I thought, that's the type of knife for me! That's the one I've been looking for!
104_0324.jpg

I'd never even owned a custom knife or thought about owning one. That was for very rich people after all. But I looked them up, and Jk's name came up a lot, and not a bad word said. In fact people seemed to go out of there way to complement JK and his knives. Since the I've heard other knife makers admit to JK's being some of there first's before they were makers, and seen professional knife users post pictures of JK's so well used they look like they have had a black coating put on!

Talking with Jk for the first time was a great experience, and making my first few decisions on what I wanted in a knife was, as you might have guessed, addictive. I know why I didn't ask to get ride of the choil, or why I insisted on the orange g10 and not wood. It wasn't really that long ago, but in knife years, it feels like an age.

So I realized suddenly that after this time has passed and knives a plenty have come and gone or stayed, the Potawatomi Plus is, finally, the knife I had been looking for. Which is odd since it lives in a box in my bedroom.

We have some history together, it has it's scars, it changes with use as it's patina works. We have our quarrels, but at the end of the day, even when I haven't seen it in a while, it's my first, made for me by a good man I've come to think of as a friend.

The fact the knife works, will always work, is only limited by me, and rafted by a man who wouldn't know how to make a bad knife, these things could almost be icing on a very fine cake.

No, you never forget your first JK, but sometimes you do find it all over again.

If I needed anything more, I'd take my JK belt hawk with me.

103_9843.jpg

If you guys have any pictures of your first Jk, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

Cool knife bud. I don't really have a first JK, I have a first JKs. :p

The fire kit knife.
cubscoutfirekit.jpg

And my custom the guys on here helped me draw out. The blue handled one on the right.
pc090060n.jpg

Hi Peter -

Here is my first JK - My Kephart - This was before I had used it - the first night I had it.

DSC_8785.JPG

I bought mine in one of John's limited edition runs - so mine has a #4 serial number -
DSC_8799.JPG

You can cut with it using a traditional grip-
DSC_8802.JPG

Or you can get tactical with it -
DSC_8803.JPG

(just kidding)

On the day that the knife arrived, I rushed home knowing that my first custom made knife was waiting for me. I opened the box (John usually uses a recycled box that his sanding belts come in) and there was my first JK - a very nice Maple Burl Kephart, along with a well made and durable JK belt sheath.

I have used this knife extensively, and it is still in great shape, albeit with a bit of patina now.

I learned how to maintain the wood on my JK's with this knife -
DSC_9532.JPG

DSC_9534.JPG

It has been shooting with me -
0307001643.jpg

It has been on kitchen duty -

DSC_0125.JPG

Extra bonus points if you remember where that maple cutting board met it's demise. ;^)

I have even taken this out while gathering the maple sap when the trees are running -
0307001455a.jpg

Yep - you never forget your first JK - and I don't intend on ever parting with it either.

best

mqqn

My first JK was a set of non-identical twins

John had two Camp & Trail knives for sale and I ended up buying them both. I didn't think I'd care much for the HD version (yellow handles) but it has turned out to be my favorite of the two.

These two knives started my JK obsession.

I honestly do not recall which model was my third JK knife, but the model that got my motor running was the JKCBK.

It remains my favorite. I just love everything about it.

Cool knife bud. I don't really have a first JK, I have a first JKs. :p

The fire kit knife.
And my custom the guys on here helped me draw out. The blue handled one on the right.
thanks machine, that custom looks awesome :eek: but you also have a JK folder so I'm going to be mad at you anyway :p and I love a JK fire kit to:
IMAG0101.jpg

Hi Peter -
Here is my first JK - My Kephart - This was before I had used it - the first night I had it.
I bought mine in one of John's limited edition runs - so mine has a #4 serial number -
You can cut with it using a traditional grip-
Or you can get tactical with it -
(just kidding)
On the day that the knife arrived, I rushed home knowing that my first custom made knife was waiting for me. I opened the box (John usually uses a recycled box that his sanding belts come in) and there was my first JK - a very nice Maple Burl Kephart, along with a well made and durable JK belt sheath.
I have used this knife extensively, and it is still in great shape, albeit with a bit of patina now.
I learned how to maintain the wood on my JK's with this knife
It has been shooting with me -
It has been on kitchen duty -
Extra bonus points if you remember where that maple cutting board met it's demise. ;^)
I have even taken this out while gathering the maple sap when the trees are running -
Yep - you never forget your first JK - and I don't intend on ever parting with it either.
best
mqqn

Thanks mqqn, I love th stories around knives, and thats a great one

p.s If I remember right the cutting bard was killed by a tacti...no wait, the Viktim, that was it :p

My first JK was a set of non-identical twins
John had two Camp & Trail knives for sale and I ended up buying them both. I didn't think I'd care much for the HD version (yellow handles) but it has turned out to be my favorite of the two.
These two knives started my JK obsession.
I honestly do not recall which model was my third JK knife, but the model that got my motor running was the JKCBK.
It remains my favorite. I just love everything about it.
funny the way things work out, they both look good to me of course, and the JKCBK is stunning, congrats

now why are't you all in bed?

Thanks KY, I really like all my JKs but I think the firekit is my favorite. It's a handy little fella.

My first JK was a "bottom K" Hiker's Back-up. John, what material did you use for the handles on those early models?

Jeff

My first JK was a "bottom K" Hiker's Back-up. John, what material did you use for the handles on those early models?

Jeff

That material was garolite, used to buy it before I discovered all the other suppliers of handle materials.

Here is my first JK. I made it from a power hacksaw blade many years ago, the sawback really works well. Note the classy electrical tape handle.

005-16.jpg

excellent. sadly, i have considered asking you whether you would put a saw teeth in the spine of a knife. :rolleyes:

Here is my first JK. I made it from a power hacksaw blade many years ago, the sawback really works well. Note the classy electrical tape handle.

005-16.jpg

excellent! sadly, i have considered asking you whether you would put saw teeth in the spine of a knife. :rolleyes:

Back