Your choice for a sub 3" fixed blade?

I'm looking for an every day utility knife with these things in mind:
3" blade at most
Flat Ground blade
Production piece (can't afford custom)
Versatile carry options
What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance

If you like the hawkbill shape, the CRKT Bear Claw is under 3 inches and comes with a Zytel sheath, lanyard, and clip for a variety of carry options. While most people see it as a neck knife, I found it a tad bit too heavy to wear around the neck and opted for belt carry. Although I have not had the opportunity to handle one, I think Fallkniven has a 3 inch fixed blade that comes with a Kydex sheath, but I think the sheath is designed for neck carry.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a CRKT bear claw. I like it but I would like something with a better steel (or non-steel).

People here seem to like Fallkniven but I want something with more carry options.

I don't have any experience with this, but it looks interesting...
http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/rekat-pikuni.html

rek-pikuni.jpg

2.9" blade, great steel, and a great price, IMHO.

What's your price range? A really tough utility knife is the Busse Lean Mean Street if you can find one. But they are over two bills.

Allen Blade makes the Chipmunk. I actually have one on order but Allen has moved and is still working on getting back in production so I'm not sure when he will be back in action. But that would be a good choice for under $100. Or if you really want to save money, how about a Schrade Sharpfinger? This is a pretty good utility blade that you can abuse to your heart's content and not feel guilty.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Check out ragweedforge.com. Ragnar carries a variety of Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian puukko-style blades that might fit your needs.

Don't be so sure you can't afford custom. Mike Cooper is making some great neck knives, and he sold the last batch for $50/each.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Yeah,

Don't be so sure you can't afford a custom.

In fixed blades with superior blade material they're quite reasonable.

Consider an Arc Lite from Darrel Ralph in CPM420V, hard to beat.

I have a Fallkniven WM-1 that I take everywhere in a concealex sheath by Normark. I always carry it around my neck, but the sheath can be configured for IWB, OWB, horizonal, diagonal, or vertical carry. It's a great combination, and well under $100, including the sheath.

neck2.JPG

try a CRKT M16-00 - pretty neat knife, and cheap - falkniven is good also - and as far as a fixed blade goes the woo is pretty cool and right at 3" i think......

vet

I just picked up a REKAT Pikuni over the weekend, very impressed! In just a few days it has proven to be a heck of a fine working blade. Comes with a real sweet Concealex sheath also.
Regards,
Clyde

The best little knife in that size is the Camillus/Somonich Mini-Talon. I carry mine around my neck all day long and every day. Its there when you want it and it cuts like the devel! For less money, I also have the Fallkniven WM1 and it is very comfortable to carry around the neck...sometimes I carry both of them around my neck just for the hell of it!.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

The Sharpfinger is a good knife to use, I sometimes carry it, by putting the sheath on the back of my hip so it is connected to my belt, and the rest into the back pocket.

I still have to try out my Gerber 975

[This message has been edited by TimmyTheTalkingToilet (edited 04-14-2001).]

I just ordered a "Small Integral" from George Tichbourne (you will find a pic here at his site: http://www.tichbourneknives.com/new-n.htm ) Its blade is 2 5/8 inches, so it qualifies here, and yes its custom, but priced about like that of high-end productions. I thought its price was reasonable for the fit and finish the knife appears to have. I'll let the group know in a short report after I get it. Of course just my luck George had a last one he sold a few weeks ago after it had been sitting for months. He told me it will be late May before I see my knife!

What am I doing? That's two customs in 3 months now, and I haven't even seen the first one (a Dozier K-1) yet! Also interesting that they are fixed blades when I carry a folder through 90% of most days. I only get to go fixed when home (I live rural, have stock - the four legged kind), or hunting/fishing/camping (which has gotten progressivly rarer). Though all my knives are "users" I am definately "collecting", because many get used pretty rarely.

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 04-14-2001).]

View

It does't have to be a neck knife.

This small fighter was put together by Colin Cox during 1989 (I think it was called the "black widow"). The blade is 3" and the OAL is 7". It is shown on page 86 of Knives 89.

N2S

Back