Your Everyday Carry

So what's everybody carrying on the day-to-day? I tend to have a small tool box stashed about my person. Some might consider it overkill, but I like having the right tool for the job, and everything gets used all day long.

First up, I always have a leatherman on hand. Either the Skeletool or a Wave+, with the bit kits. Having pliers within reach and most sizes of screwdriver has saved my bacon more than a few times. I also have a Surge and Crunch, but the Surge is massive, and the Crunch too specialized, so they stay in the truck.

IMG-20190228-140226.jpg

Next up is usually a pocket knife, for the detail jobs, opening packages or taping them back up. And with the SAKs, the toothpick and tweezers are always useful.
I typically rotate between these, or pick and choose depending on what I'm getting up to that day. Not pictured but often carried is a SAK Spartan.

IMG-20190228-140303.jpg

Then, just about everyday, except when it would be awkward to do so (but I live in a rural town, so that's rare) I carry a fixed blade of sorts. Lately it's been one of these three; the venerated 62, a puukko I made a year or so ago, or a Grohmann #3 in flat grind with a marlin spike and a pair of spring shears.

IMG-20190228-140338.jpg

IMG-20190228-140403.jpg

When I'm wearing pants (that's an odd qualifier, I know, but I'm often wearing overalls) I wear this thigh pouch rig, which keeps everything else at hand and doesn't bulk up in my pockets.

IMG-20190228-140427.jpg

Then there are the various little accessories, these also change from time to time.

20190228-135646.jpg

So, what are YOU carrying?

Ooh nice, I like that one. I usually have a headlamp in my kits, and just carry a small flashlight on my person.

4FDC187D-6CF7-4583-9B04-B9C5FDB22D3A.jpeg I love head lamps too and use a Petzl Pixa 3 everyday for my head lamp. It has rechargeable batteries that are replaceable and its been going strong for 3 plus years. I use it to mark out sheaths and to work at night. I leave 1 in the truck and 1 in my shop. I have had a few others die on me but the Petzl keeps on going. If the batteries die and need recharging, I put the extra set in while I recharge my others, so I have no down time.
I’m EDCing my BK11 these days.

Last edited:
For work, a Klein multibit screwdriver, a Leatherman Rebar, a 2-AA Fenix flashlight, and a cheapo Kershaw knife are on me all the time.

On the days off, some sort of pocket knife (lately a SAK or Opinel) and a smaller 1-AA flashlight. A butane lighter and a clicky pen if I remember. Currently trying to design a pocket organizer out of leather to keep things tidy.

Forgot to mention my Cross pen with Fischer space pen refills. Great pen. Had it over 20 years.

Wallet, keys, AAA flashlight, Victorinox Huntsman, Bic lighter.

One or two folders , one small and one larger, and a bluepoint (with built in flashlight) or sog multitool. Sog is pretty nice with assisted and seperately locking tools!

It’s fun for me to get ready for my day in the morning by selecting what I want to carry.

I go through my knife collection and pick something that makes sense and is also fun.

Usually a clipped folder, a SAK or slip joint, a Fisher Space Pen, and a loupe go in the pocket and a fixed blade to throw in the truck.

I also have a pack that rides in the truck that had multiple knives and multi-tools, and another couple of Moras, a Tramontina machete, and a saw stashed in a tool box.

Its waaaaaay overkill but my motto is it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Plus...I’m a little crazy. So my kids tell me...

Here’s my edc bag...
nTYlwuR.jpg

I work in a huge urban environment and prefer something inconspicuous. I have to take two public transportation systems to get to my job and that means interacting with a lot of people (some quite shady). On any leg of my trip, law enforcement could ask to search my bag. It’s happened many times. Being professionally dressed and clean cut, that usually means a very quick once over followed by a “have a nice day”. Just in case it becomes more thorough, I know the laws of my area and carry appropriately for defense and potential need.

Besides a small yet strong led light on my keychain, a bottle of water, a small bottle of purell, and some bandaids, this is what I always have in my bag (except when I fly)...
dKCPGkI.jpg

A multifunctional card tool, a Ka-Bar Shark bite, two Parker Urban pens (the best non-tactical tactical pens I’ve discovered—also, I’ve never had an issue with tsa when I fly), a sharpie, a Ka-Bar spork, and a sak.

This leaves plenty of room for any other work stuff I have to carry.

Here’s my edc bag...
nTYlwuR.jpg

I work in a huge urban environment and prefer something inconspicuous. I have to take two public transportation systems to get to my job and that means interacting with a lot of people (some quite shady). On any leg of my trip, law enforcement could ask to search my bag. It’s happened many times. Being professionally dressed and clean cut, that usually means a very quick once over followed by a “have a nice day”. Just in case it becomes more thorough, I know the laws of my area and carry appropriately for defense and potential need.

Besides a small yet strong led light on my keychain, a bottle of water, a small bottle of purell, and some bandaids, this is what I always have in my bag (except when I fly)...
dKCPGkI.jpg

A multifunctional card tool, a Ka-Bar Shark bite, two Parker Urban pens (the best non-tactical tactical pens I’ve discovered—also, I’ve never had an issue with tsa when I fly), a sharpie, a Ka-Bar spork, and a sak.

Random spot searches? Where do you live!?

Always under revision... the core essentials, keys, wallet, pen light, pen, utility knife, bic lighter, lip balm. The daily used tool bag stays in the vehicle. There is a blow out bag which has gone through several iterations, but that is where a tweener always lives. That and a boo boo kit, along with 1st response items, water, tourniquets, Israeli bandages, need a few more items to round it out, probably a jungle blanket would help....

My perfect EDC is my BK-14 which I carry on my pocket sheath which also doubles as a wallet.

It's not exotic or expensive, but is the definition of utility and functional... And is essentially a carry-everywhere, all day, every day survival blade.

Easy to field sharpen (I even have a frenzel lens, ferro rod and DMT diamond credit card sharpener in there now .

tE2etl0.jpg

phx0nh5.jpg

TdZNRpW.jpg

For outdoor use / chores, etc (snowblower / lawnmower, fishing, hiking, etc), I carry the knifek centrally the belt in Kydex with the handle at 12:00, so that it can be reached at anytime with either hand.

This my EDC bag, when I go to work... which is eveyday, and like GeofS GeofS I work in the city as well. So looking inconspicuous is key if your carrying a blade... except the weekends then I'll just pocket a flipper, cause I'm not in the city
20190218_150645-1038x1556.jpg
This is what I have in the side pocket, until I get to work then the Wave clips into my pants pocket... yes, you never know when your need to light a fire...in the city...
20190311_170003-2316x1685.jpg
Then in different compartments I carry bandaids, asprin, Prilosec, earbuds, shades, and an umbrella, then the main compartment... lunch or things I pick up at quicky mart... as in snacks..

Here’s my edc bag...
nTYlwuR.jpg

dKCPGkI.jpg

Nice set up, how do you carry that Shark Bite on your person?

Back