Your favorite maker, and WHY.

Everyone has a favorite maker, and a reason. My favorite is Stan Fujisaka. Workmanship, fit, finish, and materials are wonderful. The knives are arty and stylish. Oh, and the Fujisaka feel. Unlike any other. And Stan is a great guy. Who is your favorite, and why?

------------------
Howard A. Faltz, Owner
Arizona Knife Source
"Keep it Sharp"
Luke 22:26
www.azknife.com

Howard,

Scroll down and see the post that Les started last week...

Same topic, over 50 replys!!

I tend to pick favorites on a different criteria than most folks in this forum. But here it goes. My favorite makers are Jerry Hossom and Bob Lunceford. Neither gentlemen are very well known (yet), so their knives are not top-dollar items. The reason Bob Lunceford is one of my favorites is because he makes tough, no-nonsense working knives. I've got a hammer-forged blade he procured from Steve Brooks. He then affixed a brass guard and a moose-horn handle he carved and polished. The blade does a lot of work and holds a good edge. He doesn't have a website, and he mostly uses other people's steel, but if you're at a gun show in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana, look him up.

My other favorite gets the position because (I swear) he's psychic. I ordered a matched pair of knives from him, (with 11" blades) and not only were they nearly exactly matched, they were exactly what I had in mind. He's got a website at www.hossom.com and if he makes the type of knife you're interested in, he has an uncanny ability to match the knife perfectly to you, without even meeting you in person.

Zog

i have to put this in here...it is totally unrelated to anything...but ZOG...i read your profile cause a good friend of mine's nickname is Zog...his real name is rick hertzog....and he makes surfboard wax by the containerload....MR ZOG's SEXWAX...GOOD FOR YOUR STICK on the front of the package.. no fooling.....sincerely....tom mayo

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

NEWT LIVESAY AND TACTICAL-OPS USA
WHEN IT COMES TO HARD USE KNIVES THESE ARE THE BEST.THEY COMBINEGREAT ERGONOMICS,QUALITY AND VALUE.IN ADDITION MIKE FULLER OF TOPS AND NEWT ARE EXCELLENT PEOPLE TO DO BUSINESS WITH.GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AMIABLE PERSONALITY.THATS WHY YOULL SEE THEM THE MOST ON MY CATALOGUEI CANT STOP WITHOUT ADDING PAT CRAWFORD THOSE THAT HAVE DEALT WITH HIM KNOW WHAT A PLEASURE IT IS TO DEAL WITH HIM.

Mine are as follows:

Kit Carson, flawless workmanship, timeless design, doesn't introduce new models frequently

Bob Terzuola, same reasons

Randy Lee, same reasons

Reese Weiland, designed the mt hawk (my first knife), don't know if he ever got paid for it, if he did it was along time coming.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

[This message has been edited by RKnight (edited 19 September 1999).]

Lynn Griffith. I haven't been in the custom knife arena for very long, but I have been in business for quite a while. Lynn is what customer service should be. He lives and breathes knives, as evidenced by his involvment with this website, and still takes time to make sure, personally, that you are satisfied with your order. I cannot recommend him more highly.

Your killing me .... do you know how many knifemakers I like ....
I agree with Lynn Griffith "he breathes knives". The way Lynn does tacticals I like Kurt Meerdink for hunters/skinners. Similar attitude/different style. Kurt's another up and comer, He's just got into the knifemakers guild and soon may end up being priced with the big boys. ( I feel the same way about Lynn, soon they'll be too expensive to own
wink.gif
)
Darrel Ralph in the folder dept. His Apogee Rocks!

------------------
~ JerryO ~

[This message has been edited by JerryO (edited 21 September 1999).]

Lynn Griffith. I haven't been in the custom knife arena for very long, but I have been in business for quite a while. Lynn is what customer service should be. He lives and breathes knives, as evidenced by his involvment with this website, and still takes time to make sure, personally, that you are satisfied with your order. I cannot recommend him more highly.

Wow!! Thank you. I love getting the priveledge to deal with such nice people. I could not think of better compliments, then the ones, you and Jerry Oksman pay me. Mentioning me in such high regards, knowing I will probably never read it. You both are tops in my book.

Thanks,

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Discounts to Police and Active Duty Military

Howard, it is great to see you as a moderator. You run a great shop and are a class act!

Now for the answer- Carson, Crawford, Terzoula are my favorite custom makers. Reeve is also a favorite (without getting into the "are they custom?" arguments).

I like all of them due to their "no nonsense" user approach to their knives. Each one designs knives that are both ergonomic and tough. They have also each proven their ability to go the "art knife" route.

I have no particular order in my preferences and find it difficult to choose between the different knives on which to carry daily.

RJ Martin is also becoming a favorite, but I have limited use for a daily carry fixed blade and his folders are hard to find. He makes a great knife and when you additionally factor in the prices-- they are unbelievable!

Daniel

Thank you for the kind words Daniel. I might add here that Ken Onion wants me to say that he is one of my favorites (he is) (you owe me $5, Ken) Other favorites are Vince Evans, Dale Strickland, Bill Simons, Ed Kalfayan, D.C.Mumroe and...golly I could just keep going on. We are blessed with many, many, just wonderful makers. Who are your's. Hey Daniel, come on by and bring some money!

Although not considered a custom knifemaker by some, my favorite maker is Chris Reeve. His sebenza design is great.

Are we allowed to talk about semi-custom knives now that Les is gone?

------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============>

Larry Chew
Why? Handle one of his DA autos.I have 4 with one on the way

------------------

have a"knife"day

John, this is your forum. I too feel that Reeves knives warrant custom status. Man is a genius, and a great guy. Chris is a custom man.

Definitely Rob Simonich. Not only is he a real nice guy, he has reasonable prices, gets the knives out to me when promised, and does outstanding work. His knives look great and are really tough, sharp and comfortable.

The last two knives I got were Tom Andersons.I find both his design and construction to be exellent.He is a real up-and-comer.I also admire Kit Carson`s work.His extra large flipper is one of my favorites.
David
AKTI# 150

Larry Chew
Why? Handle one of his DA autos.I have 4 with one on the way

I agree. Larry Chew makes great knives. He is also a nice guy.

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Discounts to Police and Active Duty Military

Back