Your favorite wood for custom handles.

Hey guys, I always used to overlook wooden handles, but tastes are changing and now I am starting to really like some.

Whats is your favorite wood?

I really enjoy a lighter stain tigerstripe maple, and Ironwood.

Feel free to post pics. I'm sure we all want some.

Thanks

-josh

I love the look of rosewood burl and bocote. My next wood handle will prob be cocobolo, I really like the dark antique look I've seen with that wood

451207289_photobucket_61156_.jpg

2011-08-08_09-16-36_818.jpg

I like the looks of most burl. Osage Orange is real good lokking too.

Bird's eye maple or tiger strip maple for me. I havn't done handles, but I did get an A in woodshop for doing some neat stuff with 'the box' in bird's eye. I'll see if I can get a picture. That's been... wow years ago. I feel old now. So yeah. Birds eye maple or tiger stripe maple, both are unique forms of burl.

I like Amboyna Burl and a good grain Walnut that looks sharp and stands out as in 3-D ~~ as both are good to look at and say "WOW".!*

Does anyone here recommend someone to make wood scales for my BK-10 special? Someone who can do it to near the exact shape as the stock Kabar Grivory? Thanks

These are in process, From left to right they are Zebra wood, Zebra wood & Acacia wood. I started these back in the spring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Curly Maple and Flame Maple both look incredible with a honey-colored stain (there are thousands of examples on guitars), or with colored stains. It's also a very tight grain and strong wood, which is often used for necks on guitars for that reason, so I think it is a good choice for a handle material.
R_Taylor_Style_1_Flame_Maple_back.jpg

Cocobolo and Indian Rosewood both look amazing with darker stains. I pretty much love anything that is highly figured, like Burl and Zebra wood above.

Back